Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Just because, I looked at the teams with no head coaches this offseason and tried to find some positives and negatives for a new coach heading to any of them. I was mostly successful in putting together this short primer.

Denver Broncos
Former Coach: Gary Kubiak
Reason for leaving: Health issues, retirement
Positives for a new coach: suffocating defense, and I don't mean with a pillow, I mean airlock into space; great skill position players on offense in some areas; John Elway is one of the best GMs; this might be the best team looking for a new head coach by a wide margin
Negatives for a new coach: Quarterback and O-Line are BAD, no guarantee they'll get better; expectations are unrealistically high for anyone coaching this team -- they're in superbowl or bust mode, so job security isn't a guarantee for losing out in the playoffs anymore

Los Angeles Chargers of San Diego in Inglewood
Former Coach: Mike McCoy
Reason for leaving: fired for being bad and boring
Positives for a new coach: extremely high talent level at most positions on offense and defense; top-tier quarterback in Philip Rivers; Tom Telesco is a competent GM that has shown significant progress in doing his job
Negatives for a new coach: terrible and meddlesome owners; limited to no say in personnel decisions; spectre of moving to LA still present and might affect the roster adversely; hostile fanbase; limited/no depth at most positions; extremely bad O-Line that needs serious work to protect Rivers; limited window for working with Rivers; injuries to top-tier talent has been a thing with no way to know if it'll continue or get better

Los Angeles Rams
Former Coach: Jeff Fisher
Reason for leaving: fired for being loving awful
Positives for a new coach: young QB and RB; some great players still on the roster; can be seen as the savior of the franchise if team does well and bring back the Los Angeles crowd
Negatives for a new coach: fickle fanbase with the lingering effects of the move from St Louis; limited talent on the roster with little/no depth at most positions; general manager is bad at drafting; have to play in the Colosseum

Buffalo Bills
Former Coach: Rex Ryan
Reason for leaving: fired by impatient owners, but did severely mismanage the defense
Positives for a new coach: competent offense; some good/great players on defense; best tailgate parties in the league
Negatives for a new coach: meddlesome owners who think they're in playoffs-now mode; no depth at most positions; quite possibly the front office is stupid enough to let Tyrod Taylor go

Jacksonville Jaguars
Former Coach: Gus Bradley
Reason for leaving: fired for being grossly incompetent
Positives for a new coach: quite possibly the best roster one could hope for with a 3-13 team; young talent throughout the roster; owner and front office are not overly meddlesome; job security for a new coach given how long Bradley had with them; Khan might let a new coach swim in that baller pool in the stadium
Negatives for a new coach: ownership and FO might actually be neglectful in their duties; Blake Bortles is not be a good QB and could drag a team down again; that one mascot that owned already retired

Santa Clara 49ers
Former Coach: Chip Kelly
Reason for leaving: fired along with GM in a massive housecleaning
Positives for a new coach: clean slate to work with
Negatives for a new coach: Have to deal with Jed York; no depth or talent at any position aside from a small handful of players; fanbase has given up on the team; seriously get out before it consumes you; massive exodus of players over the last couple years should be a real warning; limited capacity to attract top-tier free agents outside of overpaying; don't do it, let some other dipshit coach this team and deal with that manchild who's playing with his parents toys

aperion fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Things that made you happy: Rivers didn't get killed.

Things that surprised you in a good way: Jatavis Brown

Things that surprised you in a bad way: Coaches being poo poo with their jobs on the line and just phoning it in again.

Favorite Player this season: Casey Hayward

Unsung hero: Tie between Brandon Mebane and Matt Slausen for all the same reasons.

Player you hated beyond belief this season: Jahleel Addae

Worst storyline about your team: Are they/aren't they moving? The answer to THAT question is coming....right now. Yes.

Most unappreciated aspect to the team this year by everyone: Melvin Gordon being a baller.

Best win of the season: Denver. Yeah. That game owned.

Worst loss of the season: San Diego

What the team needs to do this offseason: Let their good players go to better teams.

Funniest moment of the season: On the field: Denzel Perryman's stuffing the Falcons on 4th&1 in overtime to set up a short field to win the game.

Do you have hope or despair for the future: Neither, I'm moving on to a different team. They're in the playoffs now, but I expect that to change this weekend.

Does anything actually matter Dean Spanos

• Locked thread