Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
We lost to the Redskins at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

a neat cape posted:

I hope you get mocked about losing a regular season football game daily for the next four years you giant baby

I'll punish myself for it, others abusing me is not necessary.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

NattyBo posted:

2 game winning streak vs Baltimore :smug:

It'll be 3 in four years. And you'll have the edge all time at that point. Ugh. It should be 5-1 to us. But both those losses were too important to want back.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

We need another Sharpe on offense though, now that Steve Smith is gone. It can be a TE or a WR, or maybe even a RB if he's like Marshall Faulk.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Chichevache posted:

Joe Flacco still plays like he's trying to get home early enough to catch his favorite evening shows. I didn't watch their whole season, but from what I saw I'm definitely questioning his motivation.

I believe Joe Flacco will retire sooner than later.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

a patagonian cavy posted:

He's 31! At least five more years left in him

That's what I mean. He's going to retire early.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ryan was great as DC in Baltimore. The 06 Ravens were one of the best defenses in modern history and better than the acclaimed 2000 team. But a lot of that may have been just due to Newsome's giving him a lot to work with. When your defense has Ngata, Suggs, Gregg, Pryce, Lewis, Scott, Thomas, McAlister, and Reed among others it's kind of hard to screw that up.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Omg. The Ravens have FIRED!!!!!!!!!.....

Assistant offensive line coach Todd Washington and Director of Strength&Conditioning Bob Rogucki.

Next year this is gonna read John Harbaugh. He is a lame duck coach.

Edit: This is what the Ravens need more of in Baltimore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlFZ4Scqh4w

Now you see that? That's what Shannon Sharpe brought to this team. That sort of play out of nowhere. You'd never think he would get a 96-yarder like that. But he did. They say it in the video at that point he had five receptions the whole playoffs but three were for 50+ yards. Imagine with a better QB than Dilfer. That's what "Big-play Shay" was meant to refer to. It didn't matter we had a trash offensive line and a bad QB. Sharpe drove them to victory. If we had a better team Steve Smith would have done the same. But now we have no one like that.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 6, 2017

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

a neat cape posted:

do you understand that it's like, hard, to just go and find a shannon sharpe?

You bring up Shannon Sharpe a lot and it makes me wonder if you think it's easy to go just go draft a Shannon Sharpe

Anquan Boldin was our Sharpe in 2012. Remember that play he made for a first down on a key late Ravens drive in the Superbowl? That was a Sharpe-like catch. Maybe even better than Sharpe. One of the best catches I've ever seen watching football. It was a risky play he had the 49ers guy all over him and if he didn't get it you would just say drat that's good coverage. But he was hell bent on pulling that thing down. He also had a touchdown in that game. We never used Boldin right here except for that stretch. But I knew when we traded for him he was our Sharpe. He could be our Sharpe. When people called his production disappointing I stuck with him. I loved him on the Cardinals and knew he could still be our next Sharpe. And as it turns out, he was our Sharpe.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

a neat cape posted:

Anquan Boldin is in no way shape or form Shannon loving Sharpe you delusional moron

Yeah cause Boldin's 2012 playoff run was actually better than what Sharpe had. And that's what I mean when I say how imagine what Shannon Sharpe would have done with a better QB. Cause Flacco was playing at a high level unlike Dilfer ever did in those old playoffs. So Boldin had a really excellent run. Remember him towering over that Patriots player on one of his touchdowns? That's the kind of thing Sharpe did. That's why he was our Sharpe. But Sharpe was dragging an offense through that never should have been there. That's why Sharpe is more my hero. But Boldin is a close very close second.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Why didn't the Ravens win the Superbowl in 2006? No Sharpe. Closest thing we had was Derrick Mason who was good, but not quite a Sharpe. Like a step or two below a Sharpe. That game against the Colts goes completely the other way if we have a "One Big Play Shay" on our side. That's all we needed, and we couldn't produce it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

a patagonian cavy posted:

kawalimus is good because his argument boils down to "if only we had the best player in the entire NFL at every position and the best coach too we'd never lose ever" which is true but such a facile statement as to be difficult to talk about, I love it

That really isn't what I mean though. The offensive unit in 2000 wasn't much good at all, especially the passing game. I guess Jamal Lewis and Priest Holmes(Pre KC but still) is a solid combination. But through the air, woof. That team shouldn't really have made it too far and everyone knew our offense was going to be our undoing, until it wasn't. And Sharpe is the guy who carried it to do better than it even should have. Because even though we were a dog poo poo passing team he was always able to get the team their one TD, their one big play they needed to just let the defense do their thing. So the fatally flawed team didn't die after all.

If we could get the best guys at every position a Sharpe wouldn't be necessary. Sharpe didn't even make the Pro-Bowl in 2000.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 6, 2017

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

TBeats posted:

The Bucs won the Super Bowl in 2002 and I have zero complaints about that team nor do I have a reason to look for something to complain about because whatever I could find to complain about is irrelevant because the Bucs won the Super Bowl in 2002.

What?? I'm just talking about them. I'm not complaining or bashing them. Is it because I said the offense was garbage? That's because it was!! And it was the story all year. We even went five straight games without scoring a single touchdown. It was the story all year. Even when we won the AFC Championship Sharpe went on the mic and said "We're going to tampa to put this Ravens offense on display. We're not that good, but we're effective. We're going to Tampa and Busch Gardens". So the team even flaunted that they were bad on offense. You had Dilfer on talk shows saying how that team won in spite of him as a joke.

I love doing that. I love going back and looking at those teams and looking at their flaws and how they overcame them, and where they could have maybe gone wrong and how those single big plays or turning points made a Superbowl win. That's one of my favorite parts of being a football fan.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 6, 2017

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

TBeats posted:

When 90% of your post about your Super Bowl winning team is about the negatives of that Super Bowl winning team you are just complaining...

...about a Super Bowl winning team.

I'm not complaining!!!! Bringing up and discussing flaws and saying the offense was bad isn't complaining!! The offense WAS bad! Should I say the offense was good just because we won? No!! It wasn't!! That we had such a bad offense is fun to look back on. That's why I do it. If it made me miserable I'd block it out like I do the losses to the Redskins for the most part.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

"I'm not complaining, I just can't loving understand or shut up about why we didn't go 19-0 and draft every great player always"

Meanwhile I'm just ecstatic I got to a championship parade in my lifetime

Well yeah but that's got nothing to do with looking back at the Superbowl team and talking about its strengths and weaknesses. Those are two separate deals.

I honestly feel sorry for people who think calling a bad offense bad is "too negative" :(

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

TBeats posted:

Yeah that bad offense really held you guys back that year.

Again that's completely missing the point. The offense was bad. That's the whole point how we were able to win with just strong defense. And for most of the year not even a scoring defense like the Bucs could be in 2002. We just had to stonewall the other team the whole game if we could and get that one or two big offensive play a game and that was what we had. This was before the days of Ed Reed.

The offense had two standout games though--one where they won a shootout against the Jaguars in week 2 which was then the biggest win in franchise history. And also at Tennessee in the regular season where Dilfer turned in his best performance of the season against a defense that was about as good as ours. There were some other ok ones but against garbage teams like Cleveland. But those two games were where our offense actually carried us a bit.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about? Ed Reed was drafted in 2002 and made the Pro Bowl in 2003 and almost every year after that

I'm talking about the 2000 season.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

TBeats posted:

When you win a SB and all you talk about is the negative aspects of that team, you're just complaining.

That's not even what I'm doing. The flawed offense was a huge part of that team, hence the TD-less streak. It was a big deal at the time. Pointing it out isn't complaining but getting a real perspective of the team. To me that's fun. If it were just "yay we won" it would be boring and I wouldn't pay attention.

Tony Banks wasn't a good QB and Dilfer was worse. But we had to turn to Dilfer because Banks kept turning the ball over. So at that point we just had to hope he could not screw up, and he managed to do that for the most part.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 6, 2017

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

id like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that the 2012 ravens wouldnt have made it to the superbowl if ray rice managed to run for 28 yards instead of 28.5 on 4th and 29. now who would like to feed some waterfowl with me. i have some extra Duck And Goose Blend style corn

He actually was short. It was a bad call we just got lucky there.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

Everyone knows that, though. This is well-established. People readily acknowledge that Dilfer was one of the worst QBs, if not the worst, to ever win a Super Bowl, and he's become an enduring counter-example when talking about how rings define a QB's legacy. Rather than retread old arguments about the 2000 Ravens having a bad offense, or complaining that you didn't draft Gronk, why not direct your attention to present issues?

The second part of your post I'll get to later, but I'd like to address this. I just like to reminisce and build my perspective on those teams. I just enjoy doing it. Whether it's this year's team or a team from like 20 years ago I just enjoy doing it. It's fun. It's not like talking about this team is going to fix things. Like the Ravens aren't going to read here and be like "Hmm this Kawalimus guy has a good grasp of the current team. I say we fire the coordinators every year and hire Shannon Sharpe as head coach for life and go back in time and not draft Matt Elam(seriously what were you idiots thinking?!)". The 2000 team was memorable for me for obvious reasons and they were also the first year I really got into football so that was a real special year for me. That 2000-2003 era was when I most closely followed football all around, so that is what had the biggest impression on me. I still follow it of course but don't pay as much attention to the rest of the league. So that's why I talk about those past teams. It's really not to complain or anything it's because that was a real fun time for me as a fan.

I remember right after we won it in my dad's car taking me to school and hearing something on sports talk radio(which I usually abhor) that stuck with me. One of the hosts said something along the lines of "This Superbowl run was great and we're all spoiled now from it so quick especially younger people. But cherish this time because these don't come often" so I've tried to do that and it's true. While we've won the Superbowl twice you can see other teams have never won it or not won in a long time. So I don't just forget about those teams and "focus on the present". I remember them because despite the struggles we had those ended up being great years since we won. So that's why I still talk about them today. And I never bash other fans for doing the same for their teams not even the Redskins fans.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 6, 2017

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

a neat cape posted:

STOP.

I AM TRIGGERED

That play is one of the few things that I could maybe be convinced was some kind of conspiracy. But I mean still probably not. It was so clearly short! I don't get why it wasn't overturned.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

The "we need a Sharpe" obsession is completely deranged. We've had way better receivers than him lol

That's not my point. See if you just have all the great players then you don't need a Sharpe. Also Sharpe's numbers then were more like a TE's numbers were expected to be. Back then the only real amazing passcatching TE like they have more of today was Tony Gonzalez. And Sharpe was up there but had gotten older by that point. Sharpe would have had a much better season receiving totals if we had a better QB. The next year under Grbac he made the pro bowl. THough his numbers were basically the same but there were lots of reasons for that.

But the point was that the Ravens had a bad offense. We had a bad QB in Dilfer(after he took over), and a terrible pass-blocking offensive line. It was a putrid unit. Sharpe knew it and the whole team was open about how bad they were. But Sharpe dragged that unit and still got open and through the playoffs was able to give them the one big monster play they needed for their defense to be able to clamp down and just hold until the end. It was easier to do that in those days cause there wasn't the ridiculous passing league it is now. So that's what I mean when I say we need a Sharpe. And that's why Boldin was a Sharpe. And Steve Smith is(edit: was :( ) a Sharpe. Wallace is an Ismail. He'll make a bomb play but he won't make those insane catches in traffic like Boldin did in the Superbowl late. The Sharpes and Ismails complement one another.

Antonio Brown is a Sharpe. Mike Wallace is an Ismail. When they played together in PIttsburgh they were the league killer WR combo. But then Miami got Wallace and tried to have him be a Sharpe and it didn't work. Because he's not a Sharpe. That doesn't mean he's not valuable it just means you can't use him that way.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 7, 2017

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

It wasn't bad like I've said repeatedly. The flaws are what makes it interesting to look back on. But I do want us to one day just field a dominant team like the 2001 Rams were. A team strong all around that it's a miracle if you don't get blown out by them let alone a victory. The closest thing we had to that here was in 2006. But I bet the 2010 and 2011 teams could have done that if not for that idiot Cam Cameron and Greg Mattison in 2010. 2011(Mattison left and we had Pagano, a great DC) with a competent OC would have won the Superbowl. But in hindsight I'm glad Billy Cundiff missed that field goal and Lee Evans lost that pass because we would have had to face the Giants franchise again. Instead we got a shot at the 49ers and beat them which means the Ravens are the only team to go to multiple Superbowls and not lost, and we slew our two biggest competitors for that title ourselves. Now that's a great deal.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

got any sevens posted:

You're glad you didnt make the superbowl.

:stare:

In retrospect you can say that sort of thing. I wasn't even too upset about it then though. The next year was more stressful cause you knew it was our very last chance before that window closed for good. And now we're stuck in the mediocrity muck.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 7, 2017

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

there's no functional difference between an ismail and a sharpe, either way you're hoping for a guy to break a play all the way to the endzone (because your offense is bad enough it cant sustain drives) and outside of an insane, crazy fluke (sharpe's 96 yard play) you want the faster guy doing it

that play is also funny because sharpe didn't make anyone miss and didn't outrun anyone , he caught a ball off balance and stayed on his feet and that was it

He had another play like that in the Denver game in the wildcard round. Dilfer threw a swing pass out to Jamal Lewis who bobbled it and Broncos defender Terrell Buckley missed an interception. Then Sharpe came around from behind and grabbed the pass and stayed in bounds all the way down the sideline for a 50-some yard TD. That's the kind of thing Sharpe was doing. Then in Tennessee he got himself wide open and set up our only offensive TD of the game. The Superbowl he didn't make a big play but we didn't need him to because the Giants melted down enough. Coates actually had a better day than Sharpe that day. But that's ok. He was called "Big Play Shay" for a good reason.

edit: I actually attended that Broncos playoff game. I remember that part so well I can still see it happening if I close my eyes. The stadium went nuts! And so did I. I was just a kid then and had never seen anything like that and the Ravens had never even been in the playoffs. And it was so cold and such a great atmosphere. I'll never forget that day.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 7, 2017

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

But my all-time favorite play I ever saw live? Wasn't even from a Ravens playoff team. It was this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLZN0CabW6s

This was a great game. Ravens were 0-2 looking awful and Broncos were 2-0 and many considered them the strongest team in the league early that season(they kind of faded but at that point in time they were a big deal). The Ravens though built a 24-3 lead at halftime with Jason Elam attempting a field goal. But McAlister camped in the end zone and fielded the kick and with some amazing blocks and fakes he was able to go all the way the other way for a touchdown to make it 31-3. Nobody saw that coming and it was such a blast. I was expecting us to be blown out. That game was lots of fun. Shannon Sharpe was playing for the other team that game. The game also included Ed Reed's first career interception and punt block.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Durandal1707 posted:

Apparently Flacco just had his first 4k+ yard season this year.

At 672 passing attempts, drat. I honestly didn't know he was second to Brees in attempts this season.

He just has no downfield accuracy at all. That's always been his issue.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Durandal1707 posted:

The thing I don't get about the Ravens' playcalling since Kubiak left is why they ditch the run so early in games.

I mean it's pointless to keep calling run plays if you're down 10+ and you're getting absolutely nothing on the ground, but there's been a couple Ravens games i've seen this year where they were getting ok yardage on the ground and then junked it to have Flacco throw 40+ times a game. I don't get it, because he's always been the kind of QB who's been best off when he has a run game to lean on, and when PA is a legit option so he can sling it downfield.

Or I could be totally wrong, I dunno.

Ravens coaching staff is a bunch of pea-brains. This is clear to most people watching except these dopes. Kubiak actually understood this poo poo and also knew how to run those schemes that Juan Castillo tries to run so we had Forsett putting up huge yards. This is typical of Kubiak's career getting great numbers out of average backs. We don't play to anyone's strengths here we just go out and sort of do poo poo with no rhyme or reason most of the time. It's pathetic and embarrassing to watch and I can't wait till this joker Harbaugh is out of here. Unless he has coordinators who are both competent and will also stay here, which is something that is very rare. Most coordinators who stick around are guys like Dean Pees.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

No Irish Need Imply posted:

You're talking about a guy that posted "49ers win that game 99 times out of 100" after the Ravens won their second Lombardi. This after weeks of guarantees that the 49ers were going to blow the Ravens out of the water.

99 out of 100 is probably over the top. If I said that I was pushing it. It's more like 8 out of 10 or so. The 49ers were a better team and would have blown out the Ravens if LaMichael James didn't fumble that ball early on. That was a major swing in that game. The 49ers were going to go up 10-7 but the Ravens recovered his fumble and drove down the field to make it 14-3 in their favor. If that didn't happen I guarantee you the 49ers go on to win this game by a comfortable margin. And you saw our Dean Pees late-game defense in action. They just fall apart. Though they have the excuse of losing Ngata.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

TBeats posted:

i guarantee you it didn't happen though so it doesn't matter

i wonder how the bucs could have lost in 2002...

no i don't because they won and it rules.

Yeah and they haven't done a drat thing since. That's why you have to appreciate these things when they happen. I know it will probably be a long time before my own team wins again so I will always remember these two Superbowl teams I was lucky enough to see. I didn't see the Colts win any national championship or Superbowl V. But I'm glad cause SB 5 was possibly the worst Superbowl ever played. But I'd still take the victory just wouldn't want to see it I bet. Even a losing player got MVP it was so bad. But I'm lucky I saw the Ravens win twice. And I even saw the Maryland Terrapins win a college basketball tournament even though I don't care as much about that. But they've been a joke team since. And their fans are terrible.

But again I always look back and comment on those teams because they're the exception to the rule. Most times you end the season in a loss. But those few times you end in a win. And some never do. Look at San Diego Chargers fans their fans will never see a Superbowl win now. Unless they move back.

Personally I think the Bucs defense in 2002 were better than the 2000 Ravens defense.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

TBeats posted:

yeah i appreciate their 2002 win by talking about all of the ways they could have possibly lost

That's fun though. What if the Eagles had won that NFC Championship? What would've happened in the Superbowl then? The Raiders might have won. Would that franchise have collapsed then? Who knows.

Or in 2000 what if Del Greco hadn't been missing easy kicks against the Ravens? The Titans probably win the Superbowl.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

TBeats posted:

The win was way more fun.

Well you don't have to if you don't want to. But I'm not going to stop.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

tarbrush posted:

Has Ray Guy made the hall yet? If he made it in I'd reckon Hester will make it.

Another Raven in the hall of fame. Along with Deion Sanders, Rod Woodson, Shannon Sharpe

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Little obvious with this one weren't you

??? I was joking around.

The NFL hall of fame isn't like baseball's. You don't get a single team. So every team you played for is listed. So Rod Woodson is in the Hall of Fame as a Steeler, a 49er, a Raven and a Raider. If Hester is in the Hall of Fame, he will be in as a Raven because he played here. Just like Ed Reed will be in as a Raven, a Jet, and a Texan.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

TBeats posted:

You're an idiot

I guess I failed the idiot test again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

You're right, they should really throw a flag on Crabtree for initiating contact

Yeah they could have called offsetting penalties there, but I think Crabtree's was worse. He pushes off from the god drat helmet there lol

• Locked thread