Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

sean10mm posted:

"Not a future Hall of Famer, therefore sever immediately with no plan B!" is the dumbest line of thinking.

Well, the Bills have been a model of "how not to run a franchise" for almost 20 years now, sooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Eh, what if the Bills FO thinks Tyrod is just a different flavor of Jay Cutler?

then they probably shouldn't have signed him to a 6-year, $92M extension

whiteyfats posted:

But Cutler was fine? Not great or anything, but Cutler wasn't dogshit.

Yeah, but same for Taylor

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
given that it's coming from ex players with no connection to the current franchise, and said franchise just went out of its way to avoid having to pay Taylor, I'd bet it's a hack job

And the Bears signed Cutler to a 7 year, $126,700,000 deal. I'm sure they'd love that one back too.

I guess? I strongly doubt they'd have been more successful if they hadn't signed Cutler

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kawalimus posted:

Again that's completely missing the point. The offense was bad. That's the whole point how we were able to win with just strong defense. And for most of the year not even a scoring defense like the Bucs could be in 2002. We just had to stonewall the other team the whole game if we could and get that one or two big offensive play a game and that was what we had. This was before the days of Ed Reed.

The offense had two standout games though--one where they won a shootout against the Jaguars in week 2 which was then the biggest win in franchise history. And also at Tennessee in the regular season where Dilfer turned in his best performance of the season against a defense that was about as good as ours. There were some other ok ones but against garbage teams like Cleveland. But those two games were where our offense actually carried us a bit.

what the gently caress are you talking about? Ed Reed was drafted in 2002 and made the Pro Bowl in 2003 and almost every year after that

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kawalimus posted:

I'm talking about the 2000 season.

I understand not being happy with the current team, but why you feel the urge to complain about Dilfer and a team with one of the league's all-time great defenses that embarrassed everyone they played in the playoffs is beyond me

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kawalimus posted:

That's not even what I'm doing. The flawed offense was a huge part of that team, hence the TD-less streak. It was a big deal at the time. Pointing it out isn't complaining but getting a real perspective of the team. To me that's fun. If it were just "yay we won" it would be boring and I wouldn't pay attention.

Everyone knows that, though. This is well-established. People readily acknowledge that Dilfer was one of the worst QBs, if not the worst, to ever win a Super Bowl, and he's become an enduring counter-example when talking about how rings define a QB's legacy. Rather than retread old arguments about the 2000 Ravens having a bad offense, or complaining that you didn't draft Gronk, why not direct your attention to present issues?

I think you're too hard on Harbaugh, for example, He's proven himself to be a more than capable coach, particularly given the talent around him. The 2012 Ravens' success was unsustainable for a number of reasons, which included Flacco's inconsistency as a Quarterback (and the subsequent contract he was given that ate a huge chunk of cap on a QB who is at best, above-average), the age of key players on the offense and defense (Reed, Lewis, Kemoeatu, Boldin, Birk, Suggs, Williams), and the "Super Bowl Effect" where the cost of retaining the players on the winning team skyrockets, preventing the team from re-signing dependable non-star roleplayers at reasonable prices following the win, and puts more pressure on the depth. So the more interesting question is: Did they win right as the window closed, or was there something the team could have done to extend it? (I'd argue the former more than the latter)

Part of the issue is that I feel like the Ravens, known for having an amazing front office, actually haven't done a great job evaluating and acquiring talent over the last 4 years. They've drafted just three pro bowlers since the 2010 draft, and one of those was Tyrod Taylor (the other two were Juszczyk and Mosley). Comparatively, Elam has been an injury-prone disappointment, Upshaw was incredibly underwhelming as a pass rusher, Perriman sat for a year with injury and hasn't been great this year, and the defense collapsed down the stretch this year. The Ravens have gotten a pass because of their team brand, but they need to start doing a better job of finding good talent or their whiffs are going to catch up with them.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Febreeze posted:

Hey dudes can I come in also does anybody want a Bobby Rainey, we have one. No, nothing's wrong with him, trust me.

Hm. We're full on Running Backs. How is he on special teams?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Fielded the dumbest kickoff ever.

That poo poo was so hilariously terrible and there's a good chance it cost the Giants the game, since they were still only down 21-13 when he went OOB at the 3. At the very least, it was the turning point

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

FizFashizzle posted:

if he had just gone out of bounds instead of toe tapping that would have been a KO OOB.

Only if he caught it or first touched it while OOB, though--he was still a yard or two away when he caught it so it wouldn't have been a penalty

We're making GBS threads on Rainey, but it's a really good kickoff--if you're Rainey, do you really risk not fielding it?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Hand Row posted:

Yes because it will go out of bounds and it will be a touch back or you get the ball at the 40 if it veers before the end zone.

counterpoint: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000767158/Jets-recover-own-kickoff-in-Bills-end-zone-for-touchdown

So not fielding it can be *very* risky

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 9, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

the mean lunch lady posted:

That was also way closer to the middle of the field than the Giants one

totally true, that one was a much easier play for the Jets--but if you let it bounce and it doesn't go OOB, you have to be ready to fall on it in the end zone. One of the reasons the Jets recovered is that the Bills' returner didn't know the rule. You wanna bet on Bobby Rainey knowing what to do?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

v2vian man posted:

yes, that's why you put him on the field

lol if you think that NFL players know all or even most of the rules. A nontrivial percentage of players don't know that NFL games can end in a tie.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

R.D. Mangles posted:

can't stop thinking about the roster of castoff, free agent, and otherwise available and unwanted quarterbacks that could have won this game instead of brock osweiler

I still can't figure out why he was still playing after the 2nd pick

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

seiferguy posted:

Devin Hester announced his retirement. Guess he went out with a bang, at least.

Dude's a beast. Shame he won't make the HoF, but I think he deserves it

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Cowboys Recap

Things that made you happy: Pretty much everything before Mason Crosby's 51-yard field goal. Team had some awesome wins, looked great. Defense played well above their talent level. Zeke is amazing, Dak is clearly an excellent franchise QB. Things are good.
Things that surprised you in a good way: Dak. I expected 4 wins after Romo went down, but to go 13-3 and find the next franchise QB makes this season an unqualified success, despite the playoff loss
Things that surprised you in a bad way: The defense turned back into a pumpkin at the worst possible time
Favorite Player this season: Dak
Unsung hero: Sean Lee. This team would have lost every game without Lee and we need to surround him with talent as soon as possible. If not him, then Cole Beasley
Player you hated beyond belief this season: Before Sunday, I would have said Lucky Whitehead, but now it's definitely Brice Butler, whose total idiocy played a major factor in Sunday's playoff loss
Worst storyline about your team: "Dak vs Romo" I guess, though that was tamer than people make it out to be and more sad than bad
Most unappreciated aspect to the team this year by everyone: That Dak and the offensive line do more to help Zeke than the other way around
Best win of the season: The Steelers win, in Pittsburgh. An incredible game, and when I knew the team was For Reals
Worst loss of the season: Obviously the playoff loss, but week 1 to the Giants also sucked
What the team needs to do this offseason: Clear Romo's salary off the books and figure out a way to improve the defense
Funniest moment of the season: Dez's touchdown pass against the Lions
Do you have hope or despair for the future: Buckets of hope, though the defense needs to improve. Will be interesting to see if Jaylon Smith actually plays next year
Does anything actually matter: Yes, because I'm not an Eagles fan

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Hahahaha eat poo poo, Packers

Go Falcons ffs

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

Once again lol those guys who let $28k ride on the Packers regardless of how rich they are

oh yeah I forgot about those idiots lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

GaussianCopula posted:

The trade was still a bad idea.

Winning the lottery doesn't make buying that ticket a smart idea - you where just lucky that a bad gamble paid off.

It was both the right move at the time, and a terrible gamble and it both paid off with a deep run in 2012 and Super Bowl Run this year, but also cost them the ability to restock with draft talent in-between.

Sometimes you can make the right moves and still not win a Championship. I'd argue that Atlanta did make the right move trading for Jones when they did to get the short-term boost, but still didn't succeed, then paid the price over a pretty talent-lean stretch, and now has overcome that cost while still reaping the longer-term benefits.

Not everything has to be terrible or great. There's lots of in-between.

• Locked thread