Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Panthers finished up what might be the most disappointing season in nfl history, and i can't even say for certain because even THAT was taken from them by the Broncos.

Defense

I really don't blame Gettleman for letting Josh walk. Tagging him and trading him would be nice, but at the end of the day the play of the secondary didn't hinge on him. They started the season knowing they'd need to tread water for a while with the corners, and hopefully the rest of the defense would make up for it while the rookies adjusted. Two main things went wrong here.

The first is that the three main players they needed to step up and play never did. Kony Ealy decided one good game in the super bowl was enough and moonwalked through the whole season. Tre Boston was horrific, and Bene Benwikere was unable to come back from a broken leg, getting cut by two different teams during the season. The Panthers couldn't create pash rush with their down lineman, and they couldn't blitz because they needed the help with the linebackers. And oh yeah; they had no coverage deep.

Then, to make matters, worse, the entire secondary was shuffled week to week. Injuries were the main culprit here, and it's just the way the game goes. In Julio's famous 4,000 yard game, Bradberry went down on the second play of the game with turf toe that would plague him for a month. Players moved in and out of the lineup, were cut, were brought in off the street, chosen from random lottery. It was no situation for a team to excel, let alone let rookies learn how to play the game. In the first month and a half, the Panthers found themselves in constant holes they were digging themselves out of.

By the end of the season things had stabilized, but then Kuechly went down and that was that. Mario Addison (who?) established himself as the teams best past rusher, and Worley and Bradberry became a solid starting pair of corners. The team was second in the league in sacks and interceptions (which says a lot about how much any of those are worth, since they finished with the worst pass coverage.)

There's a lot to be optimistic about next season.

The big question is Josh Norman. Would he have helped earlier in the year? I think early on, teams would have avoided him and allowed the Panthers to cheat their coverages a little bit. I think that's really the main benefit he brought to the team last year. As the rookies developed, I think what he would help bring to the team would diminish more and more. All told, I think he would have helped, just not enough to justify what he wanted. And at the end of the day, he was going to do nothing to stop the injuries, or Tre Boston, or Bene not being able to play anymore, etc.

That book isn't written yet, and will depend a lot on what the Panthers do with their cap space in free agency.

In closing, Bradberry finished higher by PFF than Norman. So he's got that going for him....which is nice.

Offense

Holy christ things fell off the rail. The Panther offense was predicated on a few things.

1. Using Cam as a battering ram runner
2. Using that (and a creative running game) to set up play action
3. Use PA to let long routes develop, hiding the fact that Cam has no intermediate passing game to speak of

Well, Denver figured out how to stop this offense last superbowl, then famously bragged after week 1 that nothing had changed in between the two games.

Teams decided that they could blitz on every single down and overwhelm the team. Normally the Panthers would counter with Cam running, defenses decided they would try to take cam out every single chance they got, and the refs let them. Cam was subjected to horrific hits, both in and out of the pocket, as refs sat back and let him take the beating of his life.

There goes Cam as the running threat. There goes part of the running game. All of a sudden that PA isn't so daunting. On top of that, the offensive line collapses, and by week 10 the Panthers would be starting different players at 4 of 5 spots than they were on opening day. Everything fell apart because everything fell apart, and the coaches were incapable of patching it up.

Cam was pretty obviously beat up for most of the year, and probably wouldn't even have played the finale if Derek Anderson was well. But Cam checked out this year big time, and has a lot of soul searching to do this offseason. Succeeding in the NFL requires constant improvement, and Cam just followed his best season with his worst. And that sun it tries to warn me, boy those wings are made of wax.

So yeah, schematic break down, injuries to the offensive line, inability of coaching staff and players to overcome them.

special teams

graham gano needs to be gone from my life.

overall

Panthers started off 1-5. 4 of those games they held leads in the 4th quarter. 3 of them were decided by a field goal or less. Six games altogether were lost by a field goal or less, including the absolutely mind numbing losses against Kansas City and two against the Bucs. But close doesn't count, and this team dug itself a hole to big too climb out of.

The whole league came at them this year and they were not ready for it. Outside of Kuechly and TD, every player and coach went about their business like they just expected the south to be handed back to them on a silver platter.

There aren't many glaring needs, and getting healthy will do wonders for this team. but the days of Cam as a battering ram are over. He just can't survive it. Whether we see the days of Cam as a complete passer are yet to be seen, but frankly I doubt it. Rivera's insistence on sticking with Shula will probably sink him. By the time new coaches roll in, Olsen and TD will be gone and Luke will be beginning the twilight.

Who even knows if Cam wants to play anymore after his comments after the game yesterday.

But hopefully I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If I was tyrod I'd find a way to fail that physical.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Dream scenario: we flip McCarron to the Bears to swap firsts + two mid round picks.

I was about to say that fox only likes veterans but McCarron has that kind of ridiculous brashness and overconfidence that fox is attracted to.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

I went to the rally for the Broncos after they won SB XXXIII when I was a freshman in college. :corsair: I ended up failing my physics exam the very next night but it was worth it.

I walked out of class and drove to the panthers rally in 2003 and didn't get in trouble because I went to south meck and that place was a war zone.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Anyone need a printer?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Febreeze posted:

Hey dudes can I come in also does anybody want a Bobby Rainey, we have one. No, nothing's wrong with him, trust me.

What did he do? Threaten to kill a girl via text again?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

if he had just gone out of bounds instead of toe tapping that would have been a KO OOB.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Tannehill doesn't even know the teams he plays against.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

v2vian man posted:

what does "best available" mean to you? how can you say with pick #12 that jabrill peppers is better than deshaun watson? how much would a good safety or cornerback or whatever really help us compared to a potential starter at qb

How many reliable contributors are the Browns going to pass on while they keep rolling the dice on qb prospects? At some point you'd be better off with just slightly above league average starters at other positions than the weedens and manziels of the world.

The Browns need to follow Oakland model of getting the best players regardless of position and hoping they luck into a qb or can convince a veteran to go there.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

v2vian man posted:

you mean like alex mack, mitchell schwartz, travis benjamin, taylor gabriel? i sure wish the browns had drafted/signed those guys, they'd really help our team out

overdrafting middling qb talent isn't going to make free agents want to stay in cleveland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kawalimus posted:

Another Raven in the hall of fame. Along with Deion Sanders, Rod Woodson, Shannon Sharpe

Little obvious with this one weren't you

• Locked thread