Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The main show begins at 2:00 AM EST/7:00 GMT, with the preshow featuring the New Japan Rumble starting an hour earlier at 2 AM Eastern. If you have the slightest interest in NJPW at all I'd hghly you subscribe for this month. It's less than US$10 for January and you not only get their biggest show of the year but also New Year's Dash which is one of their most important Korakuens of the year as well as the always entertaining Fantasticamania tour later in the month. Cancelling is super easy if it's not your thing or if you just care about the biggest shows, and they even take PayPal if you have one of those credit cards that don't work well with foreign sites. Let me know if you have any trouble subscribing, I'll be happy to help.

English commentary for this show will be handled by Kevin Kelly and Steve Corino, and the latter is a massive upgrade over Matt Striker from last year. Sadly this will probably be his last show as most expect him to head to WWE now that his ROH deal is expired.

As many people have said, one cool thing about this year's show is that most of the title matches seem fair more up in the air than usual. Very few results in any of them would really surprise me at all, and this is in a company that often has fairly predictable booking.

Main Event for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship: Kazuchika Okada(c) vs. Kenny Omega
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXLxa4ISiuw
This marks the first time since 2010 (Nakamura vs. Takayama) that Tanahashi will not be in the Wrestle Kingdom main event. Everyone who complained about the 3 Okada/Tanahashi matchups in 4 years can enjoy a fresh matchup. Omega absolutely delivered in his big G1 semi-final and final matches and you'd have to assume he's going to want to bring it in the biggest match of his career. Okada's been in the three aforementioned matches against Tana but this is the first time he gets to play the role of the more established star. This also seems far more up in the air than most WK main events as you can easily construct reasons why either man will or should emerge victorious here.
Prediction: Okada. It seems like they need to have the briefcase holder win eventually but I bet they want to further cement Okada as the new ace.

IWGP Intercontinental Championship:Tetsuya Naito(c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-dRCMev61w
This semi main features arguably the two most over wrestlers in the company. Naito swept the Japanese MVP awards and could very well end up winning the Thesz/Flair as well. His merch sales were also a major factor in the company turning a higher profit than in 2015. Many people (including myself) were a but bummed that his IWGP Heavyweight reign was cut short, but facing the Ace of the Universe in the semi-main event is about the best consolation prize possible. Tanahashi for his part seems intent on proving he still deserves to be the Ace and the man almost always delivers in his biggest matches regardless of his physical condition. This could easily be the match of the show if it isn't marred by interference and other nonsense

Prediction:Naito. I know it's tough to believe that Tana's gonna lose in the Dome after debuting a new theme but I'm hoping the people predicting a LIJ sweep are correct.

IWGP NEVER Openweight Championship:Katsuyori Shibata (c)vs. Hirooki Goto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjkkJlrLR08
These two men resume their rivalry in what I believe to be their first non tournament singles match since the 2014 G1 Finals. Most people expected some NOAH involvement here in mid 2016, but it seems clear that some reworking of plans had to be made after the sale. I'll let Shibata whet your appetite for this one:

Prediction:Goto. Shibata's dominated the NEVER scene for the entirety of 2015 and who else would beat him?

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship:KUSHIDA(c) vs. Hiromu Takahashi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi4s--dlP7g
The former Kamaitachi returns in his first singles match in NJPW since last year's amazing Fantasticamania bout versus Dragon Lee (please watch if you haven't already). KUSHIDA spent 2015 dominating the jr division with the exception of the one blip against BUSHI. This has all the makings of one of the best WK jr title matches in recent years with the caveat that it could easily involve a ton of interference.

Prediction Hiromu, see IC prediction. I think Naito and Hiromu will share the results of their title matches so I could easily be very wrong on these

IWGP Tag Team Championship 3Way:G.O.D(c) vs. GBH vs. CHAOS (Toru Yano and Tomohiro Ishii)

It's an IWGP tag title match, it's a three way, and yes, it was thrown together at the last minute with Ishii being pulled out of the gauntlet match for this. Don't expect a classic here. New Japan doesn't even have one of those intro videos up for this now! To be fair, this easily could be the result of the poo poo with NOAH screwing up other matches on the card. Also, the WTL Finals were surprisingly good and one half of the thrown in third team is excellent. Hopefully this can exceed expectations.

Prediction: CHAOS It'd give Ishii something to do and it's not like they've shown much signs of respecting the WTL.

ROH World Heavyweight Championship:Kyle O'Reilly(c) vs. Adam Cole

The buzz surrounding this match has been moe about about the competitors' contract statuses than the match itself. ROH champion O'Reilly's contract expired at the end of 2015. Cole's still under contract until the spring but most view his departure for WWE as inevitable. These two have put together some compelling matches in North America but this match could easily suffer from a lack of heat in Japan.

Prediction:Cole since afaik O'Reilly never re-signed

Special Singles Match:Juice Robinson vs. Cody
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRte5pA2QEg
Most people seem to have found Cody's post WWE run to be fairly underwhelming and in NJPW he's not even going to have the advantages of name recognition he has in the US. Juice has come along quite a bit tho since his NJPW debut tho and at worst this should be short and inoffensive.

Prediction: Cody, and this is the first one I'm sure of

NEVER Openweight Trios Championship Gauntlet Match:Satoshi Kojima, Ricochet, and David Finlay(c) vs. Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi, and Adam Page) vs. LIJ (SANADA, EVIL, and BUSHI) vs. CHAOS (YOSHI-HASHI, Will Ospreay, and Jado)

Not usually a fan of gimmick matches in NJPW but since this is a lower card match for the trios titles I don't mind. Could be a fun match given many of the participants event though it's pretty blatantly mostly an excuse to get a bunch of guys on the card. I'm fairly sure the order has not been determined yet.

Prediction: LIJ, and unlike the stables' two more prestigious title matches I'm reasonably confident in this one given the other teams involved

IWGP Jr Heavyweight Tag Championship:Young Bucks(c) vs. RPG Vice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLoWtSOjfds
This marks the first time since the Bushiroad takeover that these belts have been defended at the Dome in a conventional tag team match. That should help the match quality but four gaijin juniors will still probably receive a fairly cold reaction given the venue.
Prediction:Bucks due to the ton of title changes elsewhere on the card

Opening Match:Tiger Mask W vs. Tiger the Dark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfjy8Z98oaY
If reports are correct we're getting an Ibushi vs. ACH singles match as the curtain jerker which is pretty drat awesome. Now, ACH worked shows in Illinois this weekend which makes me wonder if plans perhaps changed. Regardless, we know that Ibushi at least is gonna be there and who the gently caress thought that was possible when he was introduced at an NXT Takeover last summer? I'm sure we'll get an entertaining short spectacle but the real question is if either or both men have a future in the company beyond WK11....

Prediction: TMW obv

Preshow:New Japan Rumble

Don't expect much in the way of workrate but it'll be fun to see who shows up. Expect the Third Gen guys who aren't Kojima, Liger, young lions, and various old guys to make appearances. Names that have shown up in the past include Kabuki, Fujiwara, and Meng. Scott Norton is probably gonna show up this time around.

Prediction:Who the hell knows? Nagata won the first one and parlayed it into a serious main event title shot at Nakamura's IC, while the second one just served as an excuse for Jado to hang out with that idol he's obsessed with. Could be practically anyone

Thauros fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

There's cards before and after Wrestle Kingdom you might be interested in as well.

Tonight at the sane for the US time of 9:00 PM EDT/2 AM GMT the Large Wrestling Festival begins from Differ Ariake. This is Wrestle Kingdom's Axxess equivalent. It's mostly going to be interviews and similar stuff but there's three matches including one which I definitely want to catch.

Yuji Nagata vs. Tomoyuki Ota
Manabu Nakanishi vs. Henare
Jushin Liger and Tiger Mask IV vs. Ryusuke Taguchi and Hirai Kawato

If you're not aware, Tomouyuki Ota is one of the heavyweight YLs who was introduced at last year's Festival. He's a giant anime nerd and supposedly Kidani loves him. His only in ring action has been two exhibitions against the other heavyweight YL on Lion's Gate cards. You'll want to watch that match at least, but you may want to skip this one live as it'll be a long broadcast without a ton of action.

New Year's Dash is the show NJPW always runs in Korakuen Hall the day after Wrestle Kingdom. It's at the usual Korakuen start time of 4:30 EDT/9:30 GMT Thursday morning. There won't be any card information available until after Wrestle Kingdom but I'd highly recommend watching this one. It's far more important than most of the shows they run in that venue as new storylines are set up for 2017. I would't be a bit surprised to see Suzuki-gun return on this year's show.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 2, 2017

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I'm most hype for the Main Event but I really want to see Shibata kick Gotos face off. The Kushida/Hiromu match is gonna be off the chain too

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
this whole show rules except the cody part

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'm gonna have to wait until later in the month when AXS starts airing the WK11 card but I'm plenty excited for it. I don't think Kenny is gonna win but I have no doubt that the match will be awesome

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Big Scott Norton is winning the rumble brother, and that's too sweet.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

checksin posted:

this whole show rules except the cody part

I think it could also rule.

--
Edit: I just remember how much of a madman Juice Robinson is. (I'm only linking my twitter because it's the easiest way to host it with some context.)

https://twitter.com/camjw/status/816058262894190592

Piledrivers are scary looking motherfuckers in person I tell you what

Solus fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 3, 2017

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
this show is gonna loving rule

*naitooooo~~~ girl voice* "naitoooooo~~~~~"

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Solus posted:

I'm most hype for the Main Event but I really want to see Shibata kick Gotos face off. The Kushida/Hiromu match is gonna be off the chain too

Really hope you're wrong about Shibata/Goto because after the comments from Shibata, nothing would be more satisfying to me than seeing a motivated, fired-up Goto win at the Dome.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i have been waiting 3 years for "champion shibata takes himself seriously, destroys his best friend because he is the best" so i hope i get it

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Considering ditching work early on Wednesday so I can watch this all in one sitting instead of splitting it over two nights and likely getting spoiled on most of it. On the other hand, maybe my work internet is good enough for streaming...

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

*my voice* sanada.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Solus posted:

I think it could also rule.

despite what i am sure will be juice's best efforts, i find it mathematically impossible for the cody match to rule

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

hoping for King Haku vs Scott Norton at New Year's Dash

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

oatgan posted:

hoping for King Haku vs Scott Norton year long feud in 2017.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

hoping for a Haku, Norton, and Fujiwara trios champ team personally

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Thauros posted:

hoping for a Haku, Norton, and Fujiwara trios champ team personally

King Haku can kinda still go....

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

oatgan posted:

hoping for King Haku vs Scott Norton at New Year's Dash

If Finlay's heading to watch his boy wrestle, there's a chance he and Haku could meet in the Rumble.....

Anyone attending, notify next of kin.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

If Finlay's heading to watch his boy wrestle, there's a chance he and Haku could meet in the Rumble.....

Anyone attending, notify next of kin.

I was very seriously hoping for a Meng and sons vs. Fit/David/whoever match at NYD but Fit's apparently still a WWE employee

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I legit can't decide who I want to win between Okada and Omega. Probably Omega.... but then Okada won't be Champion and that just doesn't seem right to me (unless Naito is)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Traditional music in the background is pretty nice. Hey Kevin Kelly and Steve Corino just popped up!

Oh is there an IRC or discord (I can create one) to chat during the event or just post here?

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 3, 2017

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
i want like...every piece of merch that they are displaying

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eh why not. I've created a Puro Discord Channel for interested people.
Invite Link
https://discord.gg/xjjjZBj

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Okada is such a loving nerd. I love it

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solus posted:

Okada is such a loving nerd. I love it

You know he gave money to the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter.

TheJunkyardGod
Sep 19, 2004

Do not taunt the Octopus
There's no way to watch this through my xbox one is there? I don't have a chromecast.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Honma and Makabe need to change their team name to "The Tom Waits Experience"

And Toru Yano is loving hilarious today

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

So have any of these "Access" matches aired yet, or has it just been interviews and Tekken so far?

EDIT: Never mind, found a schedule. Matches are supposed to take place around 3am EST / 8am GMT. Think I'll watch some other puro stuff until it comes on.

NuclearPotato fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 3, 2017

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In how Many hours this starts?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

In how Many hours this starts?

26.5 hours but it's immediately archived on New Japan World, so you can watch whenever and don't need to worry about staying up

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you my friend.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Will Okada vs Omega be the GOAT match ever??? Will any WWE match this year be as good as the ~4th best match at WK11????

Probably not to both!!!

Biz Cliz 4 lyfe

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

My boy EVIL gonna get another belt :unsmith:

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
https://twitter.com/camjw/status/816184847156682754

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

My boy EVIL gonna get another belt :unsmith:

You & me. We're goin to the pay winda

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Ricochet completely ruining Page's promo was the loving best

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Normally I'd just buy a subscription for the month like I did last year but my bank account is literally 0.00 until Saturday so that's not possible. My question is, will there likely be streams hosted elsewhere for this?

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

Frankston posted:

Normally I'd just buy a subscription for the month like I did last year but my bank account is literally 0.00 until Saturday so that's not possible. My question is, will there likely be streams hosted elsewhere for this?

They'll be showing it on AXS tv in parts for a month after the show. Otherwise NJPWWorld will be the only place to watch it legally.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Frankston posted:

Okada wants to buy his mom another car, you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coconono posted:

Okada wants to buy his mom another car, you know.

Also raise his Shemue 3 backer level.

• Locked thread