Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Skinty McEdger posted:

The other workers hated Kennedy for this stuff. On the one hand it looks like he's fighting for everything he's got, but on the other hand his movements during moves threw off the guys he was working with and caused them to get hurt or feel uncomfortable. It's one of the reasons he got a bad rep with the other wrestlers even before the Orton spot.

I guess that explains why he was an injury magnet. It's too bad, cuz it looked great. drat this sport of ours...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Do it ironically posted:

The Omega match was really great but gently caress me am I the only one who thinks all those spots where they landed on their head is just being loving stupid? I don't get how knowing what we do about head injuries anyone would do poo poo like that, have fun with your Alzheimer's and CTE
To me, it felt like I was watching a bigger version of that balls out match between Omega & Ibushi from a few years back in DDT. Omega/Okada feels like a unicorn in terms of stiffness and brutality, and I think any sort of future rematch will play it safer and smarter. Actually, I don't think either man will go that hard in any match they wrestle in ever again.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Coaaab posted:

To me, it felt like I was watching a bigger version of that balls out match between Omega & Ibushi from a few years back in DDT. Omega/Okada feels like a unicorn in terms of stiffness and brutality, and I think any sort of future rematch will play it safer and smarter. Actually, I don't think either man will go that hard in any match they wrestle in ever again.

One of the most brutal and jaw-dropping moments, for me, was Okada's shotgun dropkick when Kenny made it into the ring after his table death. I've seen plenty of shotgun dropkicks, but I've never seen one where it looks like straight Hong Kong wire work. Okada clearly just kicked as hard as he loving could and Omega's head bounced off the turnbuckle like a tennis ball.

I can't wait to rewatch the match with JR and Josh Barnett though I worry that JR might die of a BAH GAWD induced stroke.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
OMG, the trios title change. W.... T.... F. Seriously? LIJ just got them as a cohesive and impressive looking team that is over with the crowd. Losing them to a mismatched couple of dweebs and Tanahashi. I just... ugh. Worst thing NJPW did all week. I guess, that's what I get for taking the trios belt semi-seriously. Should've known better.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
The NJPW's trio title has the gimmick of changing hands almost every time.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Coaaab posted:

Omega/Okada feels like a unicorn in terms of stiffness and brutality, and I think any sort of future rematch will play it safer and smarter.

...Ladder Match

:getin:

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Charles Gnarwin posted:

One of the most brutal and jaw-dropping moments, for me, was Okada's shotgun dropkick when Kenny made it into the ring after his table death. I've seen plenty of shotgun dropkicks, but I've never seen one where it looks like straight Hong Kong wire work. Okada clearly just kicked as hard as he loving could and Omega's head bounced off the turnbuckle like a tennis ball.

I can't wait to rewatch the match with JR and Josh Barnett though I worry that JR might die of a BAH GAWD induced stroke.

Yeah that was brutal and amazing to watch. I feel bad as five years ago or so I hated Kenny Omega but the guy has seriously grown on me. Its not often I turn around so much on a wrestler.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I fell in love with Omega the first time I saw him wrestling which was against that 10-year old girl or something.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Frankston posted:

I fell in love with Omega the first time I saw him wrestling which was against that 10-year old girl or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acjPWVvSy2g

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
First time I ever saw Omega:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XJF7huzUis

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

handsome only face posted:

did dave really give okada/omega 6 stars. that's some major hyperbole. i didn't like it more than any okada/tanahashi match but maybe i shouldn't have had the english commentary on

The English commentary is from one of the worst loving commentary teams in wrestling history so I'm sure it had some effect.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I just watched the main because I'd heard it was amazing.

I guess I just don't understand an aspect of wrestling? There was nothing there that I felt was better than DIY vs Revival for example and I watched both matches in a vacuum.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Do it ironically posted:

The Omega match was really great but gently caress me am I the only one who thinks all those spots where they landed on their head is just being loving stupid? I don't get how knowing what we do about head injuries anyone would do poo poo like that, have fun with your Alzheimer's and CTE

For what it's worth, Meltzer (lover of all things Japanese wrestling) HATED the Dragon Suplex off the top spot, as well as the table spot for how small the table was, so if the throw wasn't perfect Omega lands right over the metal legs of the table, and how the raised platform the ring is on doesn't go all the way to the guardrail, so not only did Omega go through the table, but he takes the edge of that platform right to the lower back when he lands. I'd have to rewatch it to see if Meltzer was quoting one of the commentators, but he said about the Dragon Suplex 'When Okada needs spinal fusion surgery in a few years, that's the bump he's going to think about.'

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I guess I just don't understand an aspect of wrestling? There was nothing there that I felt was better than DIY vs Revival for example and I watched both matches in a vacuum.

Did you think it sucked? If not then it's just two great matches either way. Hard to believe you are missing anything, like arguing about a video game you rated 9.7 and your friend rated an infinitely worse 9. The middleground there isn't actually a real tangible thing, it's just basically a feeling at that point

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I watched it last night, the main was awesome and the English commentary was bad.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I seriously think Steve Corino might be the single worst commentator in pro wrestling today and Kevin Kelly isnt much better.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Cavauro posted:

Did you think it sucked? If not then it's just two great matches either way. Hard to believe you are missing anything, like arguing about a video game you rated 9.7 and your friend rated an infinitely worse 9. The middleground there isn't actually a real tangible thing, it's just basically a feeling at that point

No I thought it was good. But there's stuff I don't like. The main thing is that I feel like the Rainmaker clothesline is just a really weak rear end finishing move so I wasn't especially invested when it landed a bunch of times. I don't want to say JBL's version is better, because perhaps I'm not remembering clearly, but that's what I was thinking.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
People in this thread not listening to Matt Stryker last year.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

don't listen to english language announcers unless you don't have a choice you loving rubes

This goes for NJPW and WWE

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Steve Corino is pretty much the best English commentator outside of Ross, knows Japan and does a good job on these shows. I almost always watch with Japanese commentary even with my boy Steve on the show.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

No I thought it was good. But there's stuff I don't like. The main thing is that I feel like the Rainmaker clothesline is just a really weak rear end finishing move so I wasn't especially invested when it landed a bunch of times. I don't want to say JBL's version is better, because perhaps I'm not remembering clearly, but that's what I was thinking.

Approximately two people on the Earth have kicked out of it. Given your avatar it is really ironic that you'd grasp at this straw.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Martinpale posted:

For what it's worth, Meltzer (lover of all things Japanese wrestling) HATED the Dragon Suplex off the top spot, as well as the table spot
I wonder how many stars he took off for them

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Not to argue with your taste, but context really mattered in the WK 11 main event. A lot of the tension was built around the story leading up to the show (the One Winged Angel as Okada's kryptonite, the table) or established history for both guys (the Rainmaker being death, Omega trying to prove himself as a heavyweight within only one year), so watching the match in a vacuum might have actively hampered it for you.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

MassRafTer posted:

Steve Corino is pretty much the best English commentator outside of Ross, knows Japan and does a good job on these shows. I almost always watch with Japanese commentary even with my boy Steve on the show.

Approximately two people on the Earth have kicked out of it. Given your avatar it is really ironic that you'd grasp at this straw.

Your trolling has gone too far. Corino is as engaged and focused on the show as Yoshi Tatsu was.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Rich Brennan was better than Corino.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Under the vegetable posted:

Your trolling has gone too far. Corino is as engaged and focused on the show as Yoshi Tatsu was.
It was really deflating hearing him translate Suzuki's promo at New Year's Dash

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I liked Corino's corpsing at the G.o.D.'s going a little blue v:shobon:v

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Not to argue with your taste, but context really mattered in the WK 11 main event. A lot of the tension was built around the story leading up to the show (the One Winged Angel as Okada's kryptonite, the table) or established history for both guys (the Rainmaker being death, Omega trying to prove himself as a heavyweight within only one year), so watching the match in a vacuum might have actively hampered it for you.

Yeah, I had no idea that was a thing until it was mentioned here. The recap sold the One Winged Angel as a death sentence so I was invested in that side of the match, but I don't think it did much work with the Rainmaker clothesline which is unfortunate.

MassRafTer posted:

It's almost as if you never read the part where I said I'd watched the match in a vacuum. In the future I'll be more careful about posting opinions on this forum in case they clash with my avatar from four years ago.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The English commentary is from one of the worst loving commentary teams in wrestling history so I'm sure it had some effect.

I'm 50/50 on Kevin Kelly but I'm fuckin glad WWE is putting Corino somewhere where I don't have to hear him talk. if NJPW can swing it, I'd love to have Josh Barnett and Kevin Kelly.

That being said, you really don't need english commentary to "get" NJPW, and I personally think the english commentary distracts from the experience. I feel the japanese dudes do a lot better job at getting you hype for big matches/moves/events.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Yeah, I had no idea that was a thing until it was mentioned here. The recap sold the One Winged Angel as a death sentence so I was invested in that side of the match, but I don't think it did much work with the Rainmaker clothesline which is unfortunate.

It's almost as if you never read the part where I said I'd watched the match in a vacuum. In the future I'll be more careful about posting opinions on this forum in case they clash with my avatar from four years ago.

If you can enjoy a dude who had the two weakest looking finishers you can add flips to, it's really hard to see how a lariat would come off as weak. It's hard to miss the significance given he does a pose that is coordinated with a camera zoom just to emphasize this is a cool, big deal.

As for Corino I don't get this forum's distaste for him, he's really entertaining on ROH and I enjoy his NJPW work, as opposed to most English commentators who are very, very bad.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 8, 2017

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i thought kevin kelly and steve corino did their jobs very well.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

When I first started watching NJPW, I didn't much like the Rainmaker (same with a lot of the finishers from NJPW's main event) but over time it's probably become my favourite finisher in wrestling today. Not really because of the move itself, but because the Rainmaker means a lot more than basically any other finisher I can think of.

Like, even disregarding how only 2 (maybe 3?) people have ever kicked out of it, Okada or whoever is putting together his matches has just figured out how to make him hitting that move the most exciting thing possible. In any big Okada match you know his first attempt at the Rainmaker is going to get countered or dodged and set up a couple minutes long sequence based around whether Okada can finally nail it on the other guy. But even though you know it's going to happen you don't care, because that 3 minute sequence is going to have fantastic spots, interesting reversals, and amazing wrestling. And when he finally hits the drat thing it loving rules, and it suddenly becomes the greatest move ever.

The Rainmaker and the spots surrounding it are great, and he hit like 4 Rainmaker's in that main event!!! It was the best!

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I think Okada is very talented.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
The rainmaker also rules because it's insanely safe with virtually zero chance of a botch or injury

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Corino and Kelly spend as much time as Cole and JBL talking about poo poo that has no relation to the match that's currently happening, neither of them know the names of any moves, neither of them seem to know the backstory or character of anyone involved despite working with the company for years, they barely even put the drat wrestlers over.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I would have strongly preferred a team of Cole and Saxton over what we got. They'd at least have more energy.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Just finished watching the whole thing. Holy god that main event earns everything. And I need to go back and compare, but I don't remember the Dome getting that loud in any of the past main events -- considering how big the place is, it must have been ear-shattering by the end of Okada vs. Omega.

never mind the Rainmaker counters, this time it was all about the One Winged Angel counters. Excellent work by both on those.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Corino and Kelly spend as much time as Cole and JBL talking about poo poo that has no relation to the match that's currently happening, neither of them know the names of any moves, neither of them seem to know the backstory or character of anyone involved despite working with the company for years, they barely even put the drat wrestlers over.

I would have strongly preferred a team of Cole and Saxton over what we got. They'd at least have more energy.
i find your opinions so disagreeable that i feel you must be intentionally saying silly things to get a reaction

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I watched the last two matches with both Japanese and English commentary and both were good. I liked the Japanese better but it's fun to hear people flipping out in another language for the same reason you're flipping out.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Soon the match will be with Jim Ross and Josh Barnett commentary. That will be canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Lid posted:

Soon the match will be with Jim Ross and Josh Barnett commentary. That will be canon.

• Locked thread