Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I know everyone is down on Cody, but his intro video and the first 5 seconds of his theme are pretty badass. And despite the fact that he's wrestling a random match against Juice, he manages to feel like a more important BC member than the rest of the American B-team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I spent all day squeezing in the show at break at work and on the train. Thankfully got to watch the last four matches on my actual TV. What a loving great show. Can't wait to get caught up with the thread. Until then, here are my assorted thoughts:

The Rumble needed a spot where Elgin and Norton took turns seeing who could powerbomb Cheeseburger harder.

Between Ibushi's nipples and ACH's rear end, NJPW picked the two most recognizable bodies to play faceless animes.

The jr. tag match was a lot of fun and it was great to see Rocky win in the Dome. Trent's dive was ridiculous and I hope that he never does it again. I liked the finish but kind of wish that Trent had gotten to do a more physical intercept than just holding the foot.

Trios match lived up to the ridiculous nature of those belts. Ospreay's flurry of offense was the highlight of the whole deal thought I also loved Kojima getting the entire dome to yell bastard with him.

Cody's look was really solid and he was a good arrogant heel, but the match was so flat. They should have just gone for a sprint instead of trying to tell a story suited for a longer match. I'm interested to see if he sticks around to do more and get that Shibata match (AKA his funeral).

ROH title match was good but suffered from the crowd not caring and Adam Cole never clicking with me.

Tag title match was a real showcase for how much GOD improved as a team. Ishii and Yano should be a fun straight man/wacky dude team. Steve Corino crying with laughter at all the swearing made me glad I listened to the English commentary for the first half of the show.

Jr title match was great like every big KUSHIDA match. Takahashi really brought it and I'm way more into him as the LIJ fool for KUSHIDA than BUSHI. I also like that he wore a big robe but still felt the need to carry his jacket out as a prop.

Shibata and Goto beat the gently caress out of each other and I will likely be revisiting that match many times. So many small things like the limb traps in the sleeper sequence to make the fight feel fresh.

Naito winning had me running around the living room doing his poses. LIJ sweeping the card, baby! That match was so, so great and I'm glad Naito won clean as a sheet. Did anybody else notice the announcer getting his cord caught in Tana's foot before the match and having to stand uncomfortably close to him during a turnbuckle pose? I was dying.

What can I say about the main that won't be said a billion times? Okada has surpassed everyone as the top big match wrestler in the world and Omega might be on his heels if he keeps it up. So much drama and it cemented both guys as complete studs. I was wondering why Kenny's elbow pads were so huge at first but it became apparent why during all of his many deaths in the match. I don't know how either guy was standing at the end.

I love New Japan, guys.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Lid posted:

Can someone tweet @ Meltz of Omega using all the moves of his friends/enemies? It never even came up that Omega used AJ's Hollowpoint, nor his one man More Bang for Your Buck. They noticed the triangle moonsault and the double stomp but didn't make the connections.

Lid posted:

Can someone tweet @ Meltz of Omega using all the moves of his friends/enemies? It never even came up that Omega used AJ's Hollowpoint, nor his one man More Bang for Your Buck. They noticed the triangle moonsault and the double stomp but didn't make the connections.

Kenny did the tribute deal more in the G1 finals when he used Bloody Sunday, the Gun Stun, the Styles Clash, the seated Last Ride, the Phoenix Splash, and even the loving Ruse Awakening. Last night was more just a few references and the package Tombstone wasn't the hollow point. The rolling fireman's carry to moonsault also predates his time with the Elite.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Coaaab posted:

To me, it felt like I was watching a bigger version of that balls out match between Omega & Ibushi from a few years back in DDT. Omega/Okada feels like a unicorn in terms of stiffness and brutality, and I think any sort of future rematch will play it safer and smarter. Actually, I don't think either man will go that hard in any match they wrestle in ever again.

One of the most brutal and jaw-dropping moments, for me, was Okada's shotgun dropkick when Kenny made it into the ring after his table death. I've seen plenty of shotgun dropkicks, but I've never seen one where it looks like straight Hong Kong wire work. Okada clearly just kicked as hard as he loving could and Omega's head bounced off the turnbuckle like a tennis ball.

I can't wait to rewatch the match with JR and Josh Barnett though I worry that JR might die of a BAH GAWD induced stroke.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I just watched the main because I'd heard it was amazing.

I guess I just don't understand an aspect of wrestling? There was nothing there that I felt was better than DIY vs Revival for example and I watched both matches in a vacuum.

Not to argue with your taste, but context really mattered in the WK 11 main event. A lot of the tension was built around the story leading up to the show (the One Winged Angel as Okada's kryptonite, the table) or established history for both guys (the Rainmaker being death, Omega trying to prove himself as a heavyweight within only one year), so watching the match in a vacuum might have actively hampered it for you.

• Locked thread