Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

BeOS, OS/2, NeXTStep, AmigaOS, SunOS, IRIX, what?

i'm running Haiku right now and it's cool but I dunno what's so special about it

post your favorite bygone OS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

nice hotlinking

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
poo poo I haven't checked my sdf mail in like a year

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZegWedG-jk4

followed by

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GChDZFyQaNk

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

:pwn:

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
comedy option: deskmate

roach dinner

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
IRIX was pro as heck

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm the people who are so mad at windows that they paid £2150 for this in 2014

quote:

Black Pearl PC case, white case also available[13]
ATX form factor
Dual-core PWRficient PA6T-1682M 1.8 GHz PowerISA v2.04+ CPU[14]
Co-processor: "Xena" 500 MHz XCore XS1-L2 124 SDS
ATI Radeon R700 or AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series graphics card
Audio: 7.1 channel HD audio
Memory: 4× DDR2 SDRAM slots
10× USB 2.0
1× Gigabit Ethernet
2× PCIe ×16 slots (1×16 or 2×8)
2× PCIe ×1 slots
2× PCI slots
1× Xorro slot
1× Compact Flash
2× RS-232
4× SATA Revision 2.0 connectors
1× PATA connector
1× JTAG connector

The 'Xena' coprocessor is an XMOS XCore MCU integrated on the X1000 motherboard and connected a non-standard expansion slot, called the 'Xorro' slot, named after the Zorro bus used in the Commodore Amiga. It uses a PCI-express like connector however using a custom I/O layout. The XMOS processor is connected to the local CPU bus in addition to the Xorro slot, allowing timing critical custom hardware to be controlled by the I/O optimized XCore without loading the main processor.

Xorro is a new slot using an industry standard PCIe ×8 form factor to give access to the 'Xena' I/O. This will be the route to Xena's 64 I/O lines, which are dynamically configurable as input, output, or bidirectional. 'Xorro' will allow bridging Xena to external hardware for control purposes, to internal systems, or to other XCore processors.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

:cheerdoge:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i actually used amiga os

i don't recommend it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

It's definitely IRIX because of Jurassic Park, op

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
beos

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Windows Millennium Edition

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
that dog doesnt know wether to click on exit, windows logo or emergency exit logo to get out of this hosed up mess

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Wait why am I getting a cake and going to mom's at 10:30pm

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Doc Block posted:

IRIX was pro as heck

The UI of Windows 3.1 with the usability of UNIX

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Window borders so big you could land a 747 on 'em.

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.
This is a huge long shot, but I remember a segment in one of those 90s era tech shows, possibly it was Beyond 2000, where some neck beard guy was going on about how he had created the worlds best OS for managing documents. What stuck out was that he was very critical of contemporary file managers and very arrogant about how his was obviously way better, but from what they showed of his it was just like a digital flip book of things sorted by date. I always wondered what happened to that guy, anyone else have any idea what I'm talking about ? I'm just curious if it turned out he was on the TempleOS scale of bad things by delusional people.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
taligent

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I know this

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
good old os/2 warp

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

cde was still updated through 2012 (and some graybeard probably has a fork they still maintain)

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
l'nux

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Maximo Roboto posted:

BeOS, OS/2, NeXTStep, AmigaOS, SunOS, IRIX, what?

i'm running Haiku right now and it's cool but I dunno what's so special about it

post your favorite bygone OS

probably os/2. it was pretty loving fail but nowhere near as aids as something like amigaos.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Doc Block posted:

IRIX was pro as heck

it had some cool stuff when running poweranimator

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Shaggar posted:

probably os/2. it was pretty loving fail but nowhere near as aids as something like amigaos.

I wonder how BeOS compares to it, but from what I hear Be was never complete enough to be a consumer-ready OS, which is one of the reasons why Apple didn't buy them + Gassée was a dick lol

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

windows 2000, even though it came out in 2000, it started production in december 1999 so I think it counts.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Shaggar posted:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
hell, shaggar's right

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

This is a huge long shot, but I remember a segment in one of those 90s era tech shows, possibly it was Beyond 2000, where some neck beard guy was going on about how he had created the worlds best OS for managing documents. What stuck out was that he was very critical of contemporary file managers and very arrogant about how his was obviously way better, but from what they showed of his it was just like a digital flip book of things sorted by date. I always wondered what happened to that guy, anyone else have any idea what I'm talking about ? I'm just curious if it turned out he was on the TempleOS scale of bad things by delusional people.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I wish I could find it but no idea where to even look.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
something something risc os

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
linux