Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

os/2 didn't fail, ibm failed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dolomite posted:

os/2 didn't fail, ibm failed it

tbd they don't need another goddamn os to maintain, they already have at least 3 separate ones

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

i'm the it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

on second thought, agreeing w/ this

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

:3: glenda

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Does the ghost of BeOS haunt LG TVs that run WebOS, or is it too far gone by now?

Did someone forgot to pull the plug on http://www.openwebosproject.org/ or is it something you can actually run on your computer and develop for
This is all very mysterious, there's also still http://www.hpwebos.com/us/ displaying a ton of irrelevant discontinued products :confused:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

😍😍😻😻💑👩‍❤️‍👩👨‍❤️‍👨💏👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i remember people voluntarily used geoworks instead of windows 3.1

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
geos was fuckin' tops on the commodore

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

Does the ghost of BeOS haunt LG TVs that run WebOS, or is it too far gone by now?
i can't imagine there's much, if any, beos in webos considering the latter is a linux, and the former isn't.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life
*every os from every bankrupt 90s computing company, manufacturer and failed partnerships come in with everything for a HUGE party*

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
beos was amazing back in the 90's. 20 years later Linux hasn't managed to come up with as good of a desktop environment.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

i remember using beos for a while in high school/college when my windows hard drive died. it certainly seemed alright at the time, and it's now a fond memory of my wasted youth

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
namesearched and found this thread. voted 5

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

I have Haiku on VirtualBox and I'm wondering what to do with it. Don't see the performance gains from pervasive multithreading right now since there's nothing on it I can do that requires significant system resources

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Maximo Roboto posted:

I have Haiku on VirtualBox and I'm wondering what to do with it. Don't see the performance gains from pervasive multithreading right now since there's nothing on it I can do that requires significant system resources

delete it and replace it with templeos

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Maximo Roboto posted:

nothing. it is literally useless in 2017. in 1997 beos was cool and good but never had any apps so also mostly useless.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BeOSPOS posted:

namesearched and found this thread. voted 5

I was wondering when u were gonna show up

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

akadajet posted:

delete it and replace it with templeos

only false gods don't network computers

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
xtree gold, op

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
well it failed to do desktop

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

This is a huge long shot, but I remember a segment in one of those 90s era tech shows, possibly it was Beyond 2000, where some neck beard guy was going on about how he had created the worlds best OS for managing documents. What stuck out was that he was very critical of contemporary file managers and very arrogant about how his was obviously way better, but from what they showed of his it was just like a digital flip book of things sorted by date. I always wondered what happened to that guy, anyone else have any idea what I'm talking about ? I'm just curious if it turned out he was on the TempleOS scale of bad things by delusional people.

sounds like Project Xanadu

part OS, part filesystem, part doomsday cult

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

this is a good read https://www.wired.com/1995/06/xanadu/

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol xanadu

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
What's the oldest and weirdest os that'll run fine under KVM?

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

atomicthumbs posted:

What's the oldest and weirdest os that'll run fine under KVM?

Run TempleOS and speedrun figuring out how to run a hello world program.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

also all of these: http://www.ansigarden.com/

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

axolotl farmer posted:

i listened to ted nelson talk about this once

it was....interesting

lots of that night was interesting since it was a lot of old computer hippies (nelson, lee felsenstein, etc) and wozniak

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quote:

Roger Gregory, of course, did not participate. He was only a Xanadu shareholder, not a Memex employee, and his contact with the programmers was limited. But his response to the abduction of Xanadu machinery was wonderfully consistent with his outlook on life. “I just don’t understand,” he says. “I don’t have any sympathy for them. It is beyond my comprehension for somebody to quit just because they have not been paid for six months.”

lmao these idiots deserved each other

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIOuRuvQ10c

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Jack Seay 2 years ago
I uploaded my first Youtube video today. Demo-ing the controls of Open Xanadu hypertext system. I have been waiting about 20 years to use this.

:unsmith:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the world's most advanced operating system (in 1995)

sco actually did come with a super nice desktop.

full hypertext documentation
vector icons
a decent file manager

the colors are all hosed up in these screenshots because lol xfree86

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

cde was still updated through 2012 (and some graybeard probably has a fork they still maintain)

they open sourced cde a few years ago. turns out it was not really maintained. the source code was not even compile-able on most of the "supported" platforms.

some graybeards have ported it to linux and fixed most of the brokenness

https://sourceforge.net/p/cdesktopenv/wiki/SupportedPlatforms/

finally, dtksh on linux. now you can write gui programs with the power of ksh and the ease of use of the motif API!

http://www.brendangregg.com/dtkshdemos.html

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

axolotl farmer posted:

is your entire view of computing the typing, publishing, searching, and reading of text documents? then have I got the operating system for you!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

it's VAX/VMS, op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Doc Block posted:

is your entire view of computing the typing, publishing, searching, and reading of text documents? then have I got the operating system for you!

• Locked thread