Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

spankmeister posted:

it's VAX/VMS, op.

vms still exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.

axolotl farmer posted:

sounds like Project Xanadu

part OS, part filesystem, part doomsday cult

Wow, its really hard to listen to this Ted Nelson guy talk. I think his existence might require some kind of new Dunning Kruger scale to actually quantify. How do you call yourself a software engineer while never actually making anything anyone has used because you spent almost 5 decades being baffled by people preferring to use simple familiar intuitive interfaces to edit text instead of manually traversing what appears to be some kind thinly veiled simple graph node database implementation.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

I think his existence might require some kind of new Dunning Kruger scale to actually quantify.
uh

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

Wow, its really hard to listen to this Ted Nelson guy talk. I think his existence might require some kind of new Dunning Kruger scale to actually quantify. How do you call yourself a software engineer while never actually making anything anyone has used because you spent almost 5 decades being baffled by people preferring to use simple familiar intuitive interfaces to edit text instead of manually traversing what appears to be some kind thinly veiled simple graph node database implementation.

you are looking at the effects of probably about the most severe ADHD it's possible to have, and unmedicated for most of his life to boot

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
risc os 3.7 because it was functional, educational, entertaining

http://www.guidebookgallery.org/screenshots/riscos37

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

gabensraum posted:

risc os 3.7 because it was functional, educational, entertaining

Don't sign my posts!

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
i legit misread the thread title as "least yospos"

shameful

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

gabensraum posted:

i legit misread the thread title as "least yospos"

shameful

which is it then? I mean the least yospos'est

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Cloud, BSD is dying.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the plan9 is dying, cloud

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

the plan9 is dying, cloud

missed opportunity to name it plan8 imo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BSD, when the unix fell

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

carry on then posted:

missed opportunity to name it plan8 imo

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Because Windows 7 8 9, op

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

This is a huge long shot, but I remember a segment in one of those 90s era tech shows, possibly it was Beyond 2000, where some neck beard guy was going on about how he had created the worlds best OS for managing documents. What stuck out was that he was very critical of contemporary file managers and very arrogant about how his was obviously way better, but from what they showed of his it was just like a digital flip book of things sorted by date. I always wondered what happened to that guy, anyone else have any idea what I'm talking about ? I'm just curious if it turned out he was on the TempleOS scale of bad things by delusional people.

that was probably LifeStreams which was DOA

he got all sorts of patents and thought his poo poo was so amazing everyone would license it and pay him a royalty to use it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The_Franz posted:

cde was still updated through 2012 (and some graybeard probably has a fork they still maintain)

and that graybeard was notorious B.S.D.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I had to really work to avoid getting two Indys and an Indigo2 that showed up on CraigsList a couple days ago

because trying to trim things out a bit, not add more

but drat, an Indigo2, and a complete set of peripherals, and...

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

The Management posted:

beos was amazing back in the 90's. 20 years later Linux hasn't managed to come up with as good of a desktop environment.

Haiku is just about as good

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Haiku still looks like beos did in the 90's. Linux has at least gotten better.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I'd say NeXT except NeXT didn't fail, we won

we even occupied the enemy capital when we moved into the old Taligent building

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Haiku still looks like beos did in the 90's. Linux has at least gotten better.

friend Haiku doesn't need to change to look good

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

eschaton posted:

friend Haiku doesn't need to change to look good

Did I say looks like beos? I meant looks like beo-rear end

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I'm going to have to say Apollo Domain/OS was pretty cool, does it still count as 90s era?

they had different ideas about the command line, the Apollo "pad" was one of the inspirations for the Macintosh Programmer's Workshop style of shell interaction where instead of a glass teletype you have a screen editor; you just execute a line or selection, and the output appears after it

Apollo also had good remote filesystem features in Aegis and Domain/OS, I think some shells still special-case a path starting with // as a result

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

eschaton posted:

I'd say NeXT except NeXT didn't fail, we won

next also brought macOS (system something? I forget) into the bright world of protected memory which is probably my favorite piece of tech

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Remember when all the Linux people were trying to copy NeXTStep instead of Windows & MacOS?

LOLin @ GNU AfterStep

And of course it has an IRC window in the screenshot :rolleyes:

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.

eschaton posted:

that was probably LifeStreams which was DOA

he got all sorts of patents and thought his poo poo was so amazing everyone would license it and pay him a royalty to use it

Bingo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu8u7vQKJ0g

This was the segment I was thinking of, on David Gelernter the creator of LifeStreams. They don't really show much technical stuff and the segment is actually more about what an egotistical weirdo he is. If he was planning on people paying for him for his ideas I wonder if he ever made any attempt to sue websites like Facebook or Twitter that have similar activity streams to what he seems to describe here.

Interesting enough both Ted Nelson and him share the quality that they both had/promoted some actually good, very insightful ideas ahead of their time. The problem is they both appear to have tried to generally apply their ideas as a one-size fits all perfect replacement for everything instead of just finding the domain where they would be most useful or how to integrate them into existing interfaces. It also probably didn't help that both seem very vocal about completely making GBS threads all over everyone else's work and dismissing any possible value it had or could continue to have.

Apr 7, 2003

eschaton posted:

I'm going to have to say Apollo Domain/OS was pretty cool, does it still count as 90s era?

they had different ideas about the command line, the Apollo "pad" was one of the inspirations for the Macintosh Programmer's Workshop style of shell interaction where instead of a glass teletype you have a screen editor; you just execute a line or selection, and the output appears after it

Apollo also had good remote filesystem features in Aegis and Domain/OS, I think some shells still special-case a path starting with // as a result

Apollo/DomainOS was 80s, like 3/4ths of the poo poo people are talking about here.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Doc Block posted:

Remember when all the Linux people were trying to copy NeXTStep instead of Windows & MacOS?

LOLin @ GNU AfterStep

hey at least its not anime

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Doc Block posted:

LOLin @ GNU AfterStep

window maker was way better than afterstep

afterstep was just an x11 wm that attempted to cosmetically resemblenextstep. wmaker was actually built on and integrated with GNUstep, the GNU reimplementation of the OPENSTEP API spec.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

also dont forget litestep on windows

two ircs!!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

me getting ready to pwn some n00bs

e: fixed img

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 12, 2017

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
was the entirety of be's business plan "get bought by apple"?

Apr 7, 2003

Wow, you sure showed them

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ultravoices posted:

yep

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Progressive JPEG posted:

two ircs!!

I used litestep on my old as balls toshiba laptop in university because it took less time to boot and I was just using putty (to a beefier Pentium box on the floor heating my room) and phoenix browser on that thing anyway

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Fun fact: there was an off chance that Apple was going to indirectly acquire BeOS to make the original iPhone software.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ultravoices posted:

to be fair be, inc was only slightly dumber than next, inc

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

Bingo!

This was the segment I was thinking of, on David Gelernter the creator of LifeStreams. They don't really show much technical stuff and the segment is actually more about what an egotistical weirdo he is. If he was planning on people paying for him for his ideas I wonder if he ever made any attempt to sue websites like Facebook or Twitter that have similar activity streams to what he seems to describe here.

Interesting enough both Ted Nelson and him share the quality that they both had/promoted some actually good, very insightful ideas ahead of their time. The problem is they both appear to have tried to generally apply their ideas as a one-size fits all perfect replacement for everything instead of just finding the domain where they would be most useful or how to integrate them into existing interfaces. It also probably didn't help that both seem very vocal about completely making GBS threads all over everyone else's work and dismissing any possible value it had or could continue to have.

started looking up info about this guy and :stare:

wikipedia posted:

In 1993 he was sent a mail bomb by Ted Kaczynski, known as the Unabomber, which almost killed him and left him with some permanent disabilities: he lost the use of his right hand and his right eye was permanently damaged.

he also wrote the book America-Lite: How Imperial Academia Dismantled Our Culture (and Ushered in the Obamacrats) which "portrays Obama's presidency as a symbol of the failure of American education and the success of its replacement with a liberal indoctrination system. As a solution, Gelernter proposes moving all of human knowledge to online servers so that the in-person college experience can be replaced by user-driven self-education." :newlol:

EDIT!!! "In October 2016, he wrote an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal endorsing Donald Trump for President, calling Hillary Clinton "as phony as a three-dollar bill," and saying that Barack Obama "has governed like a third-rate tyrant." :lol:

SO DEMANDING fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 12, 2017

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

two ircs!!

oh christ im pretty sure i hosed around with this (or some blackbox/fluxbox derivative for windows??) back in highschool on win2l. what a mess that was, surprisingly i managed to remove it without completely hosing things up as i recall installing it was a bit hairy.

sometimes i still get nostalgic for those days, maybe i should get a cheap garbage android and install some lovely ROMs to re-live them :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure Maxis (of SimCity fame) was doing an OS in the mid '90s. I specifically remember a black and yellow envelope with the tagline "Why open Windows when there's nothing to see?"

I can't find out any more information on this, though.

• Locked thread