Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

i've got an old r4k indigo but various components fail in ways that require soldering irons and nvram fuckery to repair

a indigo2 or indy are probably the best bet but they've gone from surplus to collectible and are far more than they should be on ebay

i guess your best option is making friends with atomicthumbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

PCjr sidecar posted:

i've got an old r4k indigo but various components fail in ways that require soldering irons and nvram fuckery to repair

a indigo2 or indy are probably the best bet but they've gone from surplus to collectible and are far more than they should be on ebay

i guess your best option is making friends with atomicthumbs

I'm going to be kicking myself for a while for not picking up two Indy and an Indigo2 (plus accessories) that showed up on CraigsList a couple weeks back

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PCjr sidecar posted:

indys and indigo2s are both prone to have bad power supplies

all indys, and virtually all indigo2s are too slow / have too little RAM to run irix 6.5 comfortably, so you also have to dig up a copy of irix 5.3

unless you are hella determined to enjoy the old jurassic park file navigator i would really suggest getting an o2/octane/octane2. the hardware was more reliable overall, and they can run the most common version of the os (6.5.22m overlay + 6.5 base)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

I'm going to be kicking myself for a while for not picking up two Indy and an Indigo2 (plus accessories) that showed up on CraigsList a couple weeks back

depends on what kinda indigo 2

i'm still kinda kicking myself for getting rid of an indigo2 "IMPACT" a few years ago. those things had r10ks and "real" 3d accelerators in them

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

indys and indigo2s are both prone to have bad power supplies

all indys, and virtually all indigo2s are too slow / have too little RAM to run irix 6.5 comfortably, so you also have to dig up a copy of irix 5.3

unless you are hella determined to enjoy the old jurassic park file navigator i would really suggest getting an o2/octane/octane2. the hardware was more reliable overall, and they can run the most common version of the os (6.5.22m overlay + 6.5 base)

oh yeah, forgot about the octanes; probably a bit more available. 6.5 is probably usable enough on the indigo2s

comedy answer: origin
double comedy answer: prism

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
friend has an onyx

it's something else

Goatshadow
Apr 11, 2002

Got an Indigo2 impact but I haven't turned it on in at least 10 years. Don't have a monitor to use with it anymore. I keep hoping to find an old sync on green IBM LCD to hook up, I don't want another CRT taking up space.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PCjr sidecar posted:

oh yeah, forgot about the octanes; probably a bit more available. 6.5 is probably usable enough on the indigo2s

an r4k is fast enough to run 6.5. the problem is memory. most indigo2s shipped with 128 mb or 256 mb, which is loving miserable with 6.5. the later ones, r8k/r10k/impact, are often found "in the wild" with 768M or even 1G.

the standard configurations for an indy were 16 to 64 MB of RAM and that's a swap-thrashing nightmare even with irix 5.x. indys swap. that is their natural state of being.

--

edit: and sgi knew that what they shipped was grossly inadequate. this is a hilarious memo about how the irix 5.x project was a disaster. software projects fail by default. that is their natural state of being

http://www.art.net/~hopkins/Don/unix-haters/tirix/embarrassing-memo.html

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 19, 2017

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Goatshadow posted:

Got an Indigo2 impact but I haven't turned it on in at least 10 years. Don't have a monitor to use with it anymore. I keep hoping to find an old sync on green IBM LCD to hook up, I don't want another CRT taking up space.

most LCDs play nice with sync-on-green. get a VGA cable and clip the H- and V- sync pins out of the monitor-side connector (or both connectors)

when the PC-style separate sync pins aren't connected, most monitors will just fall back to searching for sync on green. everyone uses the same $2 adc chip in their monitors, whether or not they need to provide "weird" features like SoG

i have only had this fail once. i have an HP-branded monitor that successfully syncs and displays an image, but then it overlays an error message about its inability to sync.

it works, but i guess the firmware is convinced it's not working :smith:

--

edit:

something important to keep in mind is that the sync on green trick only works with things that actually output sync on green i.e. exactly three pins

most Suns and a few SGI products are actually "composite" sync. you will need an adapter that's actually designed with composite sync in mind for that to work. it's a matter of mapping the right poo poo on the 13w3 to the right poo poo on VGA

with a "true" SoG output, we don't care how the adapter is wired -- we just clip the sync pins out of the VGA cable entirely.

sync on green: 0 sync pins
composite sync: 1 sync pin
separate (vga-style) sync: 2 sync pins

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 19, 2017

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Just lol if your visualization workstation isn't equipped with an R8000

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dcFkWirWcQ

Technically 'failed' when Linux takes over the desktop world

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

eschaton posted:

MESS was folded into MAME

the Apollo hardware and OS had a dedicated following, there was a partial emulator that was used to build the one in MESS/MAME since it had support for support chips etc. the partial one lacked

you can emulate other interesting stuff with MAME as well these days like a Sun 2 or 3 or even 1

and analog logic circuits! which finally gave us a mame "rom" of pong. also apparently all MSX machines ever made

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i need some kind of taxonomic analysis of open source projects to just base an intuitive understanding of the difference between the teams making awesome quirky stuff like mame, the people who decide that reimplementing microsoft word is anything but a pathetic waste of their free time, the corporate software project done in public, etc.

i really could go for knowing more about more projects like mame where it is clearly labors of love while also pushing actual technical boundaries a bit, but i am aggressively uninterested in open source as the broader "movement" since most of the stuff is incredibly dreary and often quite sad

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i need some kind of taxonomic analysis of open source projects to just base an intuitive understanding of the difference between the teams making awesome quirky stuff like mame, the people who decide that reimplementing microsoft word is anything but a pathetic waste of their free time, the corporate software project done in public, etc.

i really could go for knowing more about more projects like mame where it is clearly labors of love while also pushing actual technical boundaries a bit, but i am aggressively uninterested in open source as the broader "movement" since most of the stuff is incredibly dreary and often quite sad

sure, why not waste more time on open source projects

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

people work on stuff like mame because they love it

people work on stuff like open office because they hate microsoft

that's basically it

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

i'll start the wiki

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

lmao I found this in a box while cleaning out my basement

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

install it, op

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

install it, op

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

it needs a pre-G3 power Mac or a bebox. I don't have either of those.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Elder Postsman posted:

virtualize it, op

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

OldAlias posted:

virtualize it, op - peter tosh

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Put your dick in it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Elder Postsman posted:

i have the ppc edition of beos dr5 on cd, it'll run on a performa/powermac with a g3 upgrade card, but not a native g3 mac due to firmware.

and sadly no powerbook/ibook support

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 22, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

233mhz g3 upgrade w/148 mb ram

running os8.6 on beos dr5 on os8.6

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

OldAlias posted:

virtualize it, op

well. i tried with sheepshaver but the installer says I can't install it. not sure what else would work to emulate/virtualize a pre-G3 power mac.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Elder Postsman posted:

well. i tried with sheepshaver but the installer says I can't install it. not sure what else would work to emulate/virtualize a pre-G3 power mac.

Have you put your dick in the CD yet?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Citizen Tayne posted:

Have you put your dick in the CD yet?

hmmmmmmmmm not yet

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Elder Postsman posted:

hmmmmmmmmm not yet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Elder Postsman posted:

what rom are you using?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

infernal machines posted:

what rom are you using?

tried several Power Mac xx00 roms - 9600, 7300, 6500, 6400.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

looks like it's a no go with ss as the be loader is real particular about firmware and ss only covers what's required for macos

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
would mame work?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
a/ux is pretty cool for apple abandonware and being a 'real' unix

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Puto, France

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Isn't that the only reason to run irix

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

if you're really bad at resizing windows, IRIX's huge window borders will help you out

also, irix's icons were vector graphics instead of raster bitmaps, which was pretty cool for the time.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Doc Block posted:

if you're really bad at resizing windows, IRIX's huge window borders will help you out

also, irix's icons were vector graphics instead of raster bitmaps, which was pretty cool for the time.

one interesting thing about that was that the icons were intended to be composed from a whole bunch of elements with different meanings, e.g. if the documents looked one way the app was open and if they looked different it was closed and if it looked different it was doing background printing etc.

the UNIX world could've done worse than try to make the Irix 4dwm interface the standard instead of just plain Motif, even CDE would've been marginally nicer with a whole bunch of SGI influence

even so, it never would've came close to what NeXT offered in the same timeframe

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Captain Foo posted:

every version of irix comes with cool graphics demos. they even made expansion cds with additional demos and sometimes games on them.

unfortunately the fsv demo from jurassic park pre-dates openGL so it only runs on irix 5.x and earlier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

one interesting thing about that was that the icons were intended to be composed from a whole bunch of elements with different meanings, e.g. if the documents looked one way the app was open and if they looked different it was closed and if it looked different it was doing background printing etc.

the UNIX world could've done worse than try to make the Irix 4dwm interface the standard instead of just plain Motif, even CDE would've been marginally nicer with a whole bunch of SGI influence

it's true that "indigo magic" was a lot more usable than cde. as a development platform it had nothing to offer, though

under the hood 4dwm and "indigo magic" were bog standard motif, and writing gui applications on irix sucked just as much as solaris or hp-ux.

eschaton posted:

even so, it never would've came close to what NeXT offered in the same timeframe

next had some genuinely cool things going on (an actually usable gui api, for one), but they entered a dying market with a sub-standard product.

it just wasn't gonna happen for them :smith:

• Locked thread