Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

next had some genuinely cool things going on (an actually usable gui api, for one), but they entered a dying market with a sub-standard product.

it just wasn't gonna happen for them :smith:

except where, you know, it did

(says the guy who works at NeXT, of course)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

eschaton posted:

(says the guy who works at NeXT, of course)

You mean Apple.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Now that Apple cares more about selling garbage toy products than actual computers they should spin off the OSX division as a separate NeXT company again and let it crush Windows and Linux for serious desktop computing

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Your mom and I have been doing some serious dilztop computing.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

r u ready to WALK posted:

Now that Apple cares more about selling garbage toy products than actual computers they should spin off the OSX division as a separate NeXT company again and let it crush Windows and Linux for serious desktop computing

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

serious desktop computing

it doesn't exist lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

being bought by a bigger failing company and striking gold on mobile phones doesn't really count. i mean, the iphone is awesome and all, but NeXT was a grotesque failure in its intended markets -- workstations and graphical desktops, etc.

tl;dr: a lot more luck than excellence put NeXT execs in their current positions

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

serious desktop computing

I can only come up with two examples and windows or os x is just as good in either:

* Video editing

* CAD

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

I can only come up with two examples and windows or os x is just as good in either:

* Video editing

* CAD

Yes windows is very good at Control-Alt-Del. :xd:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

Yes windows is very good at Control-Alt-Del. :xd:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Boiled Water posted:

* Video editing

avid nle has historically been focused on windows

apparently they released an osx version but lol @ doing anything with avid with only 16 gb of ram

pro/e and catia only run on windows nowadays.

--

the market for unix workstations is long dead. aside from software development, "professional" computing has moved to windows

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Windows is good

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Media Composer has gone through intervals where it was mac-only as well as windows-only

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

apparently they released an osx version but lol @ doing anything with avid with only 16 gb of ram

pro/e and catia only run on windows nowadays.

--

the market for unix workstations is long dead. aside from software development, "professional" computing has moved to windows

hail satan

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
it was copland op

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the minute they do this they have to support windows-level ranges of hardware and whoops, there goes any remaining "it just works" advantage

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

unix still has a niche when it comes to really high-end software like flame, highly specialized cad packages and the homebrew stuff used at studios like pixar

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

blugu64 posted:

it was copland op

i loved reboot!!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you would be using the trash can mac in this circumstance

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
the osx version of avid feels like an afterthought anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
avid is an afterthought anyways

• Locked thread