Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

how on earth am i first with the obvious answer: palmos

easily the biggest failed opportunity at the very least

beos was some solid engineering but came out around the time when microsoft weirdly managed to migrate kernels into the servicable 95 (making beos advantages relatively incremental), and it was then left entirely without point when microsoft managed to make it across onto nt as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hard to pin down whether GEM failed or not since it was never that successful, and also stayed just being sort-of kind-of successful for a long time. atari home computers failing was sort of the failure of truly common GEM use i guess, but it is not like TOS and GEM were compatible etc.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i need some kind of taxonomic analysis of open source projects to just base an intuitive understanding of the difference between the teams making awesome quirky stuff like mame, the people who decide that reimplementing microsoft word is anything but a pathetic waste of their free time, the corporate software project done in public, etc.

i really could go for knowing more about more projects like mame where it is clearly labors of love while also pushing actual technical boundaries a bit, but i am aggressively uninterested in open source as the broader "movement" since most of the stuff is incredibly dreary and often quite sad

• Locked thread