Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've been meaning to get involved in some sort of writing group thing, so I'm dipping my toes in for this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
The Cave Adventure.

1265 words.

The Cave Adventure.

It had been my brothers idea to explore the cave. I had not been in the mood for an adventure and had not wanted to go at first, but Nathan's gentle persistence had eventually won me over. When he then suggested that we go deeper into the cave than ever, I started to feel felt excited. We had always found something interesting to play with on a cave adventure, and going deeper than ever meant we were sure to find something interesting this time too. Eagerly we set off for the cave.

We found ourselves crouching side by side in near total darkness, Nathan (who was smaller than me) was holding my hand in his. There was only a small amount of light in this part of the cave, coming in from a low point. I could sort of see mine and Nathan's feet, but could only make out the vague outlines of his face in the darkness.

“Lets go” Nathan said excitedly. He let go of my hand and got on all fours. Not much further into the cave there was no light at all and the floor became very uneven, so Nathan began feeling his way forwards with his hands. Nathan was much more comfortable crawling than I was, so I stood up and put my hands against the wall of the cave. It was coarse and rough, but strait. Using the wall as a guide I flattened my body against it and began feeling my way forwards with my right foot, testing each step before I put my weight on it. It was slow going, but I was having fun.

“I reached the Square Holes” Nathan said, his excited voice coming from the darkness below me and to my right.

“I'm coming over” I responded.

The Square Holes was the border of the deepest we had ever been in the cave. They were large square holes (big enough for Nathan to crawl halfway into) in the cave wall, stacked on top of each other going from the cave floor to higher than Nathan or I could reach. (Nathan could reach 3 holes, but I could feel the outlines of a 4th hole when I stood on my tippy-toes) In past cave adventures we had found many interesting things to play with in the square holes. The only problem was they were also on the other side of the cave from the one I had been feeling my way along. To reach Nathan I had to take several steps across the uneven cave floor without the wall to brace myself on.

“Marco” I said.

“Polo” came Nathan's giddy response.

I pointed my foot towards towards Nathan's voice and took a slow step, gingerly putting my weight down lightly until I was sure I had found a flat part of the cave floor. I then repeated the process with the other foot, guided by steady chirps of “Polo” from Nathan. Soon I fond myself standing by the Square Holes. Nathan crawled into the bottom one while I used my hands to check the two above him. All empty, nothing to play with this time.

“Lets go deeper now” Nathan said, his voice sounding weird as it came from the inside bottom Square Hole. I felt giddy as I started to feel along the far side of the Square Holes. Next to the holes was the Soft Wall, a wall of thick soft material that came down from the top of the cave and stopped above the floor, leaving a big enough gap underneath to be crawled under. Nathan and I had both felt the edges of the Soft Wall before but had never ventured into it.

Nathan was a much better crawler than I was, so he started to feel his way on all fours, inching his way into the gap underneath the Soft Wall. I pushed my hand into the Soft Wall, and found a place where the wall gave and my hand was able to slide inside the wall. Feeling a sudden rush of adventure I pushed onwards, and soon the Soft Wall enveloped first my shoulders, and then my entire chest. I pushed in deeper.

The Soft Wall was pushing in on my chest, making it hard to breath. I was undeterred, and pushed in deeper. The material pushed against my head and made it almost impossible to hear, but I pushed on. The pressure on my chest kept building, and I started to feel very warm. My warm breath blew in my face every time I exhaled, caught in the material of the Soft Wall. Then the tips of my fingers pushed through the soft wall and found the cave wall on the other side. I felt elated, I was a real explorer.

Getting out of the Soft Wall was much easier than getting in, and I emerged into darkness that was suddenly cool and refreshing. Nathan was near my feet, crawling from under the Soft Wall. Happy from my adventure, I sat down on the cave floor next to him.

“I found something” Nathan said as he gently grabbed my hand in the darkness and guided it towards what lay on the cave floor next to him. It was large, much larger than my hands, and soft on top but hard on the bottom. “I think its a Mom

“A Mom shoe?” I replied quizzically. “What is one of those doing in the cave?”

“I dunno” Nathan said, and I could almost hear his shoulders shrugging in the dark. “Want to play a game with it?”

“What sort of game?”

“How about we guess which side it will land on?”

Within moments Nathan and I were back near the cave entrance and the tiny slit of horizontal light that it provided. We soon created a game of taking turns guessing how the Mom shoe would land before tossing it. We became swept up in our game and lost ourselves, forgetting that we needed to keep quiet right now. We started tossing the mom shoe further and higher each time, until on my turn I tossed it a little too hard and it thudded into the far cave wall, and then thudded again when it hit the floor. From outside the cave we heard a series of angry thuds moving in our direction.

The closet door burst open and Mom stood there, outlined in the light and staring angrily.

“You two kids need to stop roughhousing, punishment time is not play time” she said sternly, her eyes blazing.

Nathan and I droned out a meek “Yes Mom” in unison.

“Do you need to go peepee go poopoo?” she asked. Both Nathan and I shook our heads no. She started to turn to close the door when I spoke up.

“How much longer?”

“Two hours” came the sharp reply.

“But Mo-oooooom” I whined, “that's what you said a long time ago.”

“Its still two hours. Keep whining and it will be three.” And with that the door closed, and Nathan and I were plunged back into darkness.

“Its not fair” I pouted out loud. But deep inside I knew it was fair, Nathan and I had gotten into a fight and spilled the entire box of Cheerios all over the table. I felt very sad, and angry at myself.

My thoughts were interrupted by something being pressed into my side, it was Nathan with the Mom shoe.

“It's still your turn, don't toss it so hard anymore” he said, and soon we were giggling and playing again.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 15, 2017

• Locked thread