Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Pippin posted:

dude i love hearthstone, put me in with a :toxx:
i dont even know whats going on here

CantDecideOnAName posted:

It's been years, TD, but I'm in. I sac Alchemist's Apprentice and draw a card.
I gotcha Ral Zarek

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Gotta write more words, maybe good ones this time? probably not
Whoa it's Dryad Arbor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

magnificent7 posted:

Hey I've sucked at submitting, so, can I judge instead*? I'm working on my writing, and reading all the other submissions is definitely inspiration to do more writing.

IF y'all still need a third judge.

if not, fine, I'm in for whatever this Magic Card Trick thing is.

Either or.

* I've judged before - Muffin and Sebmojo can vouch for me, OR can point out I sucked at judging.
Sure, you're on.

Gimme Skittering Heartstopper

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Djeser posted:

[extremely goon voice] wha...what is this...mah-gick?
what who told u u can cast magick with these cards ahaha no thats not a thing

llamaguccii posted:

Hey guys... It's been awhile, but I'm IN this week.
It is a Time of Heroes

ThirdEmperor posted:

:toxx: gimme the jankiest card you got.
Gotcha

Captain_Indigo posted:

I am in. Got my fingers crossed for a super rare shiny!
Hoo boy it's a Baleful Strix

Chili posted:

Plans got cancelled for Sunday.

I'm in; throw one of your silly nerd papers at me.
silly you say?

Murmuring Phantasm

this got rejected as card art but it's cool as hell

Deltasquid posted:

I'm in, please. I know nothing of M:TG. Does it have cute puppies or is this the wrong kind of game for that
fear the Anger of the Gods

Flesnolk posted:

I'll do a thing.

Maybe.
check out my buddy Reflector Mage

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

ThirdEmperor posted:

If anyone needs help understanding the rich lore of Magic the Gathering's decades long metastory, y'know, so you can really appreciate what's going on in these rich tableaus, I'd be glad to explain things. I'm really quite the expert. :grin:
Don't listen to this. MTG fanfic is against the rules and will get you DQd.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
i know this was a plot to find your one true love and teach her the rich lore of magic the gathering but it will have to wait for another day

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Jan posted:

hai guise is this the magic the gathering megathread? i found this "black lotus" card in my big brother's deck, is it good for anything tia.
please don't Die Young

Xelkelvos posted:

First time trying this as I try to get my writing skills up to speed.

I'm IN.
look out it's Thought Gorger

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Kaiju15 posted:

In:toxx:icated
Bearer of the Heavens

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

In and flash rule
Vigor

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I just realised I haven't closed the signup window. I think everybody has a card but if they don't, lemme know.

:siren: SIGNUPS CLOSED, SUBMISSION DEADLINE IS 11:59pm Sunday EST :siren:

I REPEAT, EST. EASTERN STANDARD TIME. IT HAS JUST BEEN DAYLIGHT SAVINGS IN SOME TIMEZONES SO MAKE SURE YOU'RE WORKING ON THE RIGHT TIME. THERE WILL BE NO DEADLINE EXTENSION.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Apparently there is some Daylight Savings confusion going on. For your assistance, here is an EST clock. You have, at the time of posting, about four and a half hours left.

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fullscreen.html?n=179

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
:siren: Submission window is closed. Good luck to you all. :siren:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Mag7 please report to IRC when available.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
these are not results, I just want to get mad in public about the sheer number of spelling mistakes and typos this week. Proofreading is not the enemy, people. This is the worst week I've ever seen in this regard -- almost every single story has at least one glaring mistake that f7 would've picked up immediately.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
:siren: Week 268 Results :siren:

Oof. It wasn't a good week, guys. Lots of errors, lots of expository dialogue without action, lots of vague waffling about nothing. There are no HMs this week. The winner reeeally needs another editing pass but the spelling issues aside, it had a certain barmy energy and confidence reminiscent of the best Golden Age Sci-Fi. It was genuinely fun to read, with the occasional very cool poetic-grotesque flourish that kept the madness together. Congrats Jay W. Friks, you've got something solid there, and the throne is yours. Please go back and spellcheck your story.

Our DM is much improved on last time, but was still a dry mess. There were some really cool ideas in there, but everything happened so quickly and with so little weight that it was hard to care. Exmond, you're moving up in the world, but it's still a DM. Keep on battling it out.

Our loser forgot a major preposition in the title of their story, and it was kinda downhill from there. It is a masterclass in Tell Don't Show, where every character stands in a room and just says out loud what is happening, and then nothing happens. Maigius, you are the loser. A very different sort of crown is yours.

Take it away, Friks.

For transparency, weird proprietary judge scoresheet. Highest possible score is 52. Scoring was not linear -- it's a weird obtuse ranking system that got more complicated because mojo disappeared without doing it properly and I had to reverse-engineer a little.

quote:

the death Mrs Smith: 5
dragon problems: 12
Gremlin Punk: 17
Thought Gorger: 18
Snow Dragon: 18
Very Fine People: 18
the Brightest: 19
Beetleback Alley: 23
Nocturnal Affliction: 28
For the People: 28
One Last Job: 30
Did In: 32
Bearer of the Heavens: 33
Hello World: 34
What News of Trilanthol: 35
Appley Ever After: 38
Night Dealings: 38
Augury: 38
Die Young: 40
The Wrong Bar: 41
Sparrowflute: 42
The Salvation Reactor: 45

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
My personal rankings:
(bottom-to-top, last place got 1pt, second to last got 2pts etc)

quote:

1 the death Mrs Smith
2 dragon problems
3 Gremlin Punk
4 the Brightest
5 Hello World
6 Thought Gorger
7 One Last Job
8 Did In
9 Snow Dragon
10 Night Dealings
11 Beetleback Alley
12 For the People
13 Bearer of the Heavens
14 Very Fine People
15 Die Young
16 Appley Ever After
17 The Salvation Reactor
18 Sparrowflute
19 Augury
20 Nocturnal Affliction
21 The Wrong Bar
22 What News of Trilanthol

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Megabrawlin'

Moloch

He sees the towers rise into the sky and wonders if he was once a god or a king or a man with two gold dollars to rub together. In a life before life, was he locked in his sar-coughing as a bus rolls by and he inhales the stale gasoline air and wonders whether–

There was once a gold top atop the grand pyramid; now there is only stone. We stand amongst wonders of stone and steel, and marvel at the delicate tyranny of the open sky while old Mo-loch watches on with an open mouth and a perfect smile. In times of old we stand clad in gold and we wondered whether–

There’s a Cairo, Illinois, where the Mississippi carves its way between three States. There’s a Cairo, Georgia, just north of Calvary. Their pyramids are nothing but memory, their Niles are crowned in tarmac and stone. The men of Cairo sleep fitful, dreaming of temples that rise up in defiance of an empty sky; they wake amongst TV dishes and cell towers, and choke their way to work along roads that wrap around the land and wonder

Where is Moloch now? We can see him no more than fish can see the sea. His teeth are chrome and glass, his heart beats with the brittle tick of a monstrous clock. His eyes are LCDs that hum and glow in the dead of night. Moloch, eater of children; taker of teeth; monger of dreams. We sit in tombs of gold and wonder whether–

Aman sleeps on the street with his old coat wrapped around him, and dreams of a life he never lived. In Cairo in Cairo in Cairo men work until their hands break while the pharaoh sits in silence, in robes of gold while Moloch watches on with eyes wide and unblinking while we wonder whether–

On the river, on the interstate, in the valley of kings: the gods are silent.

subprompt: Pyramids of Giza
words: 299

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
cribrog

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
crebbogg

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
criiigbokk

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah sure I'm in.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Sure I'm In.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
This is the worst thing I've ever written, for the dome or not and gently caress you for making me write it.

Mercury Ascendant

Fernando holstered his laser-gladius. The skytemple of Venus burned behind him – burned like his heart burned for Rosa. He’d ridden the asteroid oceans to find her, and yet she was nowhere to be found.

“Perhaps she doesn’t want to be,” said a familiar voice. Fernando didn’t need to see the speaker to know it was bad news. He ducked, and a plasma burst seared over his shoulder. He spread all six of his wings (the wings on his back, the wings on his shoes, and of course the wings on his hat) and took off into the Venusian skies.

How could Paulo have followed him here? He thought he’d lost him dueling the Wardogs of Mars. But alas, his lovers had a way of coming back like a rash. If only he’d remembered to keep his sword in his sheath, none of this would’ve happened. He soared through the thin air of Venus as the wind shrieked through his golden feathers. He whirled, he twirled, he made art of movement. There was no way an inferior flier like Paulo could keep up and yet–

A reek of burning feathers and plasma and he was tumbling, tumbling–

He smashed into the marble paving stones. Things broke inside him. A shadow fell over him. Paulo? No! He knew that smell of cinnamon and cigar smoke anywhere.

“Praetor-Generale Joaquin,” he muttered through busted death. “I knew you were involved somehow.”

Paulo alighted on the ground nearby, and the sunlight glinted off his heaving, sweaty abs. His laser-gladius glowed from inside with electric firelight. Of course he wasn’t wearing armor: same old Paulo.

“Mi Amor,” he said. The Generale smiled and blushed. Of course! The Praetor-Generale and Paulo had teamed up to take down Fernando, because of the massacre on Neptune’s moon! The Generale had held a grudge ever sinc–

“Fernando,” said the Generale, “I am secretly your father, returned from exile in the outer spiral arm. I love you like a son, and I also love Paulo like a boyfriend and I know that’s weird, since he’s also technically my son, which makes him your brother-in-law. You’re just going to have to deal with it.”

“And Ros– “

“Rosa Fuentes is secretly your mother. She has fled to Mercury, where your little brother Juan lives. You’ll never find her.”

“But we– “

“Yes you had intercourse multiple times in various gravities. I probably should’ve told you. Kinda dropped the ball on that one but if the loving your boyfriend and shooting your foot-wing off didn’t give it away, I’m kinda a crappy dad. I’m also– “

He tugged at the top of his head. Nothing happened. Paulo pursed his lips and shook his head.

“You’re not wearing a mask, mi amor. We’ve been over this.”

Fernando stood. His bones ached, his head hurt. He hadn’t been pounded this hard since he was dating Paulo. He drew his laser-gladius, and leapt. There were no wings behind it, no strategy – he was just hard and mad and wanted to split some nasty beefcakes in half. His sword went into Paulo with a hard THWAP, and Paulo gasped.

“You should’ve worn protection,” said Fernando. “I guess it didn’t fit, huh?”

He twisted the blade, then pulled it out. Paulo’s guts spilled all over the paving stones. Fernando swung his blade again, and locked swords with his father. Joaquin leaned in.

“Who’s your daddy?” he said. Fernando couldn’t think of a good line.

“F-gently caress you!” he said and jumped back.

“That’s Paulo’s job,” said the Generale. “What a waste.”

Fernando ducked, swung his weight to the right, and threw his gladius. It seared through the air, and sliced the Praetor-Generale clean in half.

“How’s that for uh, penetration?”

Well, better than nothing. His father, was bleeding out on the marble tiles.

“You must forgive your mother,” he said.

“No,” said Fernando. “I’m not going to do that. I’m going to go home, to Mercury, and kill my entire family.”

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
welcome to being a judge Sham Bam Bamin--FJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJFJGJ

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
:siren: MEGABRAWL FINAL ENTRY :siren:

BRING IT CRIBRIKKKK

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
faaaaart

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
In with a sort of mushing together of horror with some sort of other genre fiction

• Locked thread