Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Fulchrum posted:

So this is basically their one and done essentially, right? Everything else horrific they want to try, Democrats can stop them?

And don't give me the sad sack "Oh dems won't cause they are weak/secretly republicans/stupid", I'm asking if this is essentially the only blank check measure they get?
The wikipedia article on reconciliation mentions that there can only be one reconciliation bill per year. I think (though the wikipedia page doesn't explain it well) this is because a reconciliation bill has to be called for by a yearly budget resolution, which itself can only be done once a year.

So yeah, in theory the Democrats could filibuster any other bill in 2017 if they so chose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Of course they can wait and pack as much as they want into that one bill.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
How long does the period you can put forward this bill last? Or is the window for it basically the entirety of the year?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
And let's not forget, there's always next year.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Fulchrum posted:

How long does the period you can put forward this bill last? Or is the window for it basically the entirety of the year?

It's the latter; it only works for the yearly budget resolution, but that can happen at any time (because I'm pretty sure it's for the upcoming year anyway).

But yes, there's only one freebie a year, short of procedural fuckery.

E: oh yes that reminds me! Look forward in the 115th Congress to actual budgets again. Granted they will consist entirely of six pages of military spending and fifty two pages of insane cackling, but hey, baby steps.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Apparently Ted Cruz introduced a constitutional amendment to force term limits on the Senate and House.

I love how stupid people are about the subject, with something like 75% of people surveyed being for them. People just don't realize that all term limits are going to do is fill Congress with people who don't know how to govern and will be even more reliant on lobbyists and think-tanks.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Khisanth Magus posted:

Apparently Ted Cruz introduced a constitutional amendment to force term limits on the Senate and House.

I love how stupid people are about the subject, with something like 75% of people surveyed being for them. People just don't realize that all term limits are going to do is fill Congress with people who don't know how to govern and will be even more reliant on lobbyists and think-tanks.

Of course it would be Cruz. Mother fucker has burned every bridge he has, so at this point this is just him screaming "IF I'M GOING DOWN I'M TAKING ALL YOU FUCKERS WITH ME!"

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Khisanth Magus posted:

But it would get rid of Ted Cruz so...

and lol at the idea that congress is currently full of people who know how to govern and aren't reliant on lobbyists.

Status quo politics is Donald Trump being President. Don't be "Status quo politics is awesome!" guy. We are already living in the land of the worst case scenarios.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 4, 2017

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Khisanth Magus posted:

While this is true, because most people usually think of there only being a few years that will be allowed, I think term limits could be helpful if congressmen were limited to a total of 30 years between House and Senate (or maybe give them a few extra years if they rise from House to Senate). It's long enough that Congress won't be perpetually filled with impressionable and manipulable neophytes, but not long enough that the parties can ignore grooming future members. A bit of churn could be a good thing, especially in solid red/blue states. I think we all would have been better off if Ted Kennedy had spent his last re-election campaign promoting some progressive up-and-comer.

And I also think the age of the experienced elder statesmen is just about over, especially for the Republicans. The lobbyists and think tanks already write all of the policies.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's right, Donald Trump is holding his own party accountable on matters of ethics lmao.

For now. He is giving the impression that this isn't the 'right time' to deal with it. So that probably means they'll back-door it on a busy news day so no one will notice.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The week after pictures of joe Scarborough yucking it up with trump, he correctly predicts what will happen like three hours later when trump goes on Twitter to not denounce, but question the timing of the most odious and blatantly corrupt thing the republican congress could do. Something so stupid and brazen it defies believability that any legislative body would lead with it.

Then the congress immediately kowtows and trump gets a good news cycle.

Yeah I believe this okay.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
A thing that can't be forgotten is the mass "Don't Do This" calling campaign that a lot of groups organized. We need to keep that up. Sure, we can easily get ignored, but forcing them to know a lot of people are watching can stymie some of their evil plans.

FizFashizzle posted:

The week after pictures of joe Scarborough yucking it up with trump, he correctly predicts what will happen like three hours later when trump goes on Twitter to not denounce, but question the timing of the most odious and blatantly corrupt thing the republican congress could do. Something so stupid and brazen it defies believability that any legislative body would lead with it.

Then the congress immediately kowtows and trump gets a good news cycle.

Yeah I believe this okay.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more it sounds less crazy that this was a giant staged operation by Trump to win points with voters.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Senator Ted Cruz does something... good? Though I eagerly await a D&D explanation on why this in fact bad and wrong by nature of having been proposed by the Zodiac Killer.

"news posted:

AUSTIN (KXAN) — With the 115th Congress back in session for one day, U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, is proposing an amendment to limit the number of terms a member of Congress can serve.

Along with Rep. Ron DeSantis, R-Florida, they both hope the change to the Constitution would mean U.S. senators can only serve two six-year terms and members of the House of Representatives three two-year terms. Cruz claims the amendment is backed by the “American people,” with the Senate and House having a responsibility to follow the voters’ “call-to-action.”

“D.C. is broken,” said Cruz in a release. “The American people resoundingly agreed on Election Day, and President-elect Donald Trump has committed to putting government back to work for the American people. It is well past time to put an end to the cronyism and deceit that has transformed Washington into a graveyard of good intentions.”

Currently, both members of the House and Senate can serve for an unlimited amount of time. DeSantis says limiting terms will help reshape Capitol Hill getting rid of the “political elite” and allowing for fresh blood to move the country forward.

“The American people have called for increased accountability and we must deliver. Senator Cruz has been instrumental in efforts to hold Congress accountable, and I look forward to working with him to implement term limits,” said DeSantis.

The longest serving U.S. Senator is Robert C. Byrd, D-West Virginia, who held his position for 51 years, 5 months, and 26 days from 1959 to 2010. Rep. John Dingell, D-Michigan, was the longest serving member of the House of Representatives after serving for 59 years.

In 2016, a survey found that 74 percent of Americans are in favor of term limits for Congress.

As much as I hope this gains traction, I would bet all my chips on this getting voted down very hard and very fast. Congress is too self serving to ever limit their own power.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Actually it's bad and dumb for entirely different reasons that have been discussed on this very page of this very thread.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

935 posted:

Senator Ted Cruz does something... good? Though I eagerly await a D&D explanation on why this in fact bad and wrong by nature of having been proposed by the Zodiac Killer.

As much as I hope this gains traction, I would bet all my chips on this getting voted down very hard and very fast. Congress is too self serving to ever limit their own power.

I mean, for the past six years the Republican Party in Congress has been comprised of very bad long-time congressmen and super double extra bad Tea Party freshmen like David Brat. If you want Congress to be composed entirely of freshmen for the rest of forever, be my guest (actually don't, please).

Term limits are generally dumb because they ensure that legislators are 100% unable to develop any experience, devolving power in practice to established, unelected staffers and lobbyists. If you must establish them, long term limits like ~30 years or whatever aren't as bad, but that doesn't make them good.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

935 posted:

Basically, the problem with term limits on congress is it ensures a lot of inexperienced people who will act without fear during their last term are in power. It can work if it's a decent length and may foster the grooming of young blood, but there are logistic problems with it more so than with the President. There are like 400 people in the house and 100 in the senate. Having to switch that out every couple of years can be troublesome if they don't put a good amount of time on the term limit.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rand Paul is so adorable.

"WaPo posted:

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) will oppose the Republican budget resolution designed to begin the process of unwinding the Affordable Care Act, making him possibly the only member of the majority to break ranks.

In a speech scheduled for later Wednesday, he will criticize the resolution for assuming $9 trillion in additional debt over the next 10 years. Paul, who has introduced his own balanced budgets since entering Congress in 2011 — with little support — favors the simultaneous repeal of the ACA and passage of a replacement bill, without adding to the debt.

Paul, who was reelected last year, expects to cast the only “no” vote in his conference. In a letter to leadership, released Tuesday, Sens. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) and Mike Lee (R-Utah) joined Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) in pledging their support for the new budget resolution, with the caveat that they do not endorse its spending outlays.

“Our votes in favor of the ‘Obamacare Repeal Resolution’ do not indicate in any way our support for the revenue, spending, and deficit numbers therein,” they write, “nor for the use of those numbers as the basis for future federal budgets.”

There are 52 Republican senators in the 115th Congress, meaning that Paul’s vote, on its own, cannot stop the passage of the budget resolution.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

DC Murderverse posted:

Behold, as the Republican Party immediately attempts to balance the cognitive dissonance of their anti-government rhetoric while simultaneously governing in a way consistent with their policy positions. They will, of course, succeed, thanks to their stranglehold on the media narrative.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
I don't think I've ever seen an argument in favor of term limits on elected positions. Like I've seen people like Ted Cruz say "Cronyism is bad, therefore term limits are good", but never an explanation for how term limits would have any hope of reducing cronyism. "If we limit the amount of time people have in office, that definitely won't cause them to raid the cookie jar as hard as possible while they still can, so they can build resources and connections for their next job" is just weird to me.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Short term limits would only encourage people to see being an elected official as a stepping stone to something better, rather than a career. I want the person I elect, ideally, to want to be there a long time, because otherwise some of their time will be spent figuring out where they want to go next.

gently caress Term Limits, and gently caress Ted Cruz.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

That's not "adorable", that's "ambitious". The Republicans only have 52 Senate seats, so anyone who's willing to flip needs to be paid careful attention. By going out of his way to vote "no", he's sending a signal to the leadership of both parties.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

935 posted:

Those are far too short term limits. Some sort of term-limit is an idea worth exploring, but 6 years? Experience is not a guarantee of wisdom, but there is still something to be said for people who know what the gently caress they are doing in the corridors of power. It's not as if there will be term-limits for lobbyists, so you'll just end up with a whole bunch of inexperienced knuckleheads relying even more heavily on lobbyists than they currently do. Not sure the medicine in this case is better than the problem it's meant to cure. You'd need to extend the term for Representatives at the very least. Which should probably be done anyway because it'd be nice if they could go even one year without desperately panicking about fundraising for the next campaign.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

forkboy84 posted:

Those are far too short term limits. Some sort of term-limit is an idea worth exploring, but 6 years? Experience is not a guarantee of wisdom, but there is still something to be said for people who know what the gently caress they are doing in the corridors of power. It's not as if there will be term-limits for lobbyists, so you'll just end up with a whole bunch of inexperienced knuckleheads relying even more heavily on lobbyists than they currently do. Not sure the medicine in this case is better than the problem it's meant to cure. You'd need to extend the term for Representatives at the very least. Which should probably be done anyway because it'd be nice if they could go even one year without desperately panicking about fundraising for the next campaign.

A better solution here would be to expand the number of Reps so less money needed to go into each campaign, but it'd need to be coupled with campaign finance restrictions so nobody could just moneybomb out of state races, and neither is likely to happen ever.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Less term limits, more mandatory retirement ages

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Since everyone is suddenly deciding term limits were bad all along now that republicans want them should presidents also not have term limits?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Since everyone is suddenly deciding term limits were bad all along now that republicans want them should presidents also not have term limits?

They are bad because there was a bunch of studies that were done about the effects of term limits in state houses.

The short version is that it made lobbyists and special interest groups the only ones with institutional knowledge and they used it to gently caress things up.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Being President is a bad enough job that arguably people shouldn't do it for 12 years just for health/family reasons, but if a majority people like a President, and the President wants to serve another term, I really don't understand the argument in forbidding that. I feel like the burden of proof is on people who think term limits do anything and why those things are good.
edit:
People lying about Roosevelt's health was bad, but that seems like more of an issue of campaigns lying about things and not term limits.

twodot fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 5, 2017

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

twodot posted:

Being President is a bad enough job that arguably people shouldn't do it for 12 years just for health/family reasons, but if a majority people like a President, and the President wants to serve another term, I really don't understand the argument in forbidding that. I feel like the burden of proof is on people who think term limits do anything and why those things are good.
edit:
People lying about Roosevelt's health was bad, but that seems like more of an issue of campaigns lying about things and not term limits.

I think the best argument for Presidential term limits is preventing long-term consolidation of power in the hands of a single individual (observe that when revision of a constitution to remove term limits on the most powerful elective office occurs in other countries, it seems to coincide with the country becoming a de facto dictatorship). This doesn't really apply to members of a legislature with 100 or more members.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

I think the best argument for Presidential term limits is preventing long-term consolidation of power in the hands of a single individual (observe that when revision of a constitution to remove term limits on the most powerful elective office occurs in other countries, it seems to coincide with the country becoming a de facto dictatorship). This doesn't really apply to members of a legislature with 100 or more members.
I'm ignorant of the countries you're referring to, but we had >150 years with no term limits, an actual four term president, and several trying to serve three terms without turning into a de facto dictatorship. I feel like there's either a connection you're missing, or the effect you're observing is just random noise for low n events.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Silver2195 posted:

Observe that a lot of countries without term limits are not dictatorships. Merkel is headed for her fourth term in Germany, democratically elected and everything.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You generally don't get to become President without some political experience as either a Governor's Mansion or a Senator, either in national politics or as chief executive on a state level. It's a different job with different requirements. It is not hypocrisy to favour term limits for President but not for Senators & Representatives.

I'm not even saying "no term limits for Senators & Representatives", I just think that Cruz's suggestion is stupid because it'll purge every long-term, experienced legislator on a national level and that's a stupid idea. There's a reason that traditionally freshmen politicians don't do much, they are comparatively idiots. Experience in creating legislation, on navigating the various vested interests while not actually just giving into them completely, these are valuable things for a legislator.

A 20 year term limit would be more reasonable than 6 years, to just pick a number out of the air.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
Imagine if there were no term limits in 2000.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

forkboy84 posted:

You generally don't get to become President without some political experience as either a Governor's Mansion or a Senator,

No joke I would literally vote for a large house to be president over trump.

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool
So assuming the gop has the votes they need for this budget resolution thing, how soon could the aca be repealed?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Coatlicue posted:

So assuming the gop has the votes they need for this budget resolution thing, how soon could the aca be repealed?

Things could start going out the window immediately. Enforcement of the tax penalty could be immediately halted, thus ending the individual mandate, for instance. Other things would take time to go into effect, like cessation of subsidies for Medicaid expansion. But the repeal itself could happen the moment Trump was in office to sign it.

It seems likely, however, that they will instead set things to phase out over time, thus distancing the effects from the cause and framing the next, potentially Democratic, president for the problems.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Gringostar posted:

Imagine if there were no term limits in 2000.

Imagine if there were no term limits in '88.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Cross posting from the Trump presidency thread: House Republicans reinstated a rule that allows them to cut the funding for specific government programs and even individual federal employees. But don't worry, it'll only last one year (unless they vote to keep it, which they obviously will). Say goodbye to the civil service as we know it.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Family Values posted:

Imagine if there were no term limits in '88.

They'd have figured out how to make Reagan immortal, but not before his brain went to mush, and we'd have a God Emperor by now.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Looks like Republicans are planning to defund Planned Parenthood via reconciliation as well :suicide:

quote:

WASHINGTON — House Speaker Paul Ryan said Thursday that the House will vote to defund Planned Parenthood this year in the same reconciliation bill they’ll use to repeal Obamacare. That means Republicans will need just a simple majority of members to pass both measures.
“Planned Parenthood legislation would be in our reconciliation bill,” Ryan said to reporters at a press conference, when asked “how and when” the House will pass legislation to defund the organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I can't imagine this getting through the senate. Or past Trump without some serious concessions on free trade. I think Trump is going to hold all the socially regressive poo poo hostage unless he gets his economic changes.

• Locked thread