Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

twodot posted:

Being President is a bad enough job that arguably people shouldn't do it for 12 years just for health/family reasons, but if a majority people like a President, and the President wants to serve another term, I really don't understand the argument in forbidding that. I feel like the burden of proof is on people who think term limits do anything and why those things are good.
edit:
People lying about Roosevelt's health was bad, but that seems like more of an issue of campaigns lying about things and not term limits.

I think the best argument for Presidential term limits is preventing long-term consolidation of power in the hands of a single individual (observe that when revision of a constitution to remove term limits on the most powerful elective office occurs in other countries, it seems to coincide with the country becoming a de facto dictatorship). This doesn't really apply to members of a legislature with 100 or more members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread