Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pancreatic cancer
Jul 27, 2010

Jordanis posted:

Black Hills are scenic as gently caress, but I don't know much about hiking there. Only been there when driving through moving from Chicago to the coast, so we just hit, you know, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Deadwood. I would really have liked to be able to see Wind Cave.

On Highway 16/385, just north of the turnoff to the Crazy Horse memorial, there is a ramshackle barn with 'ANTIQUES' painted on it. They have a donkey that roams the building. He is friendly. Makes for an entertaining stop.

The Black Hills are sick as hell, you gotta drive through Custer National Park, coming in from the road you see Rushmore (word to the wise, don't pay to park there, there's a wide spot down the hill where you can park for free and just walk up, Rushmore kinda sucks but you should see it), the entrance to Custer is a really cool drive that takes you through tunnels and a really neat view of Rushmore. Then there is some loop to drive where you will almost certainly have some up close and personal adventures with buffalo, pronghorn, wild donkeys, deer, all that good poo poo. After that, you can go up to some area called, I think, the Spires or something where you can definitely hike. I'm not sure how far the trail is, I got caught in a thunderstorm with lightning cracking pretty close and it was sort of hairy so we turned around. Also I thought Rapid City was kind of a fun little town and hotels are inexpensive there, although there is some historical one or something which has a neat bar in it.

I echo what the other guy said about the Badlands, they're neat to drive through and it's worth stopping for a look around but it's not THAT great.

The rest of South Dakota is boring as gently caress and driving through it is a true lesson in flatness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread