Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I don't know specifically about Yellowstone crowds, but generally August is a good month, I prefer early September though. I don't know exactly what date hunting season starts in Wyoming regions, usually anywhere from September 15 to October 1. Higher chance bugs die off with the first freeze although summers have been getting overall later since we've been out there. Other advantage is if you're doing more off the beaten path trails they'll have had yearly maintenance done on them (if they're maintained). If you're looking for day hikes the Sawtooth NRA near Ketchum/Stanley ID is fantastic. I've always wanted to go to Hells Canyon NRA also, but I've just been to the outskirts. I hear they've been super low on maintenance funds though, so at least check and see at a ranger station which trails they still maintain yearly.

One problem with Yellowstone is that there's a decent amount of federal land around there that isn't Teton/Yellowstone but it's usually half and half BLM/USFS and they spend a decent amount of effort catering to motorized because the mountains aren't so big. So if I were doing it how you want to I'd spend a few days around Yellowstone area and then travel over to ID/MT for the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
One of our CORs used to work for USFS at the Wind River range, I've never been there but I can get a handful of day hikes from him if that's your thing.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I talked to the trails guy in Montana that relocated from working Wind River. He specifically said Green Lakes area and Squaretop or Square mountain, something like that was a must-see. You can drive all the way to the lakes and there are multiple trails from that area, he said mostly dayhikes.

• Locked thread