Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

I have used two previous editions of this book when planning hikes in Yellowstone, and really liked it. You'll have a hard time getting it off of Amazon, though, as the Yellowstone Association publish it and only sell it new through their store. Agree that after Labor Day should be a fine time to hit Yellowstone, but don't leave it too much later than that. poo poo's high up.

In Yellowstone proper, Slough Creek is my favorite campground, but Tower Falls was also nice. I haven't stayed at Pebble Creek, but it's also small and supposed to be good. Indian Creek is kind of big, but is generator-free. Lewis Lake is also generator free and has a total vehicle-and-trailer combined length limit of 25'. The rest are basically all giant and RV-choked.

I know that you can purchase shower access in the hotel at Mammoth--the old lodge is rooms with shared bathrooms, so they'll sell you access to those separately. Handy and cheap way to clean up after camping and hiking a bunch. I think something like this is available at most of the lodges, but I've only personally used the facilities at Mammoth.

Jordanis fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Awesome info! We're actually heading out mid August now so it should be better timing for weather. Really looking forward to this! Since were driving our route takes us past The Badlands so we're going to see that as well.

Personally, I treated Badlands as a drive-through park (northeast entrance to Pinnacles entrance, IIRC) and didn't feel too deprived. It's really something, but you won't catch me hiking around much in that kind of terrain in high summer.

Jordanis fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 11, 2017

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

mAlfunkti0n posted:

That's a good point. A friend mentioned the black hills would be more enjoyable.

Black Hills are scenic as gently caress, but I don't know much about hiking there. Only been there when driving through moving from Chicago to the coast, so we just hit, you know, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Deadwood. I would really have liked to be able to see Wind Cave.

On Highway 16/385, just north of the turnoff to the Crazy Horse memorial, there is a ramshackle barn with 'ANTIQUES' painted on it. They have a donkey that roams the building. He is friendly. Makes for an entertaining stop.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

mAlfunkti0n posted:

We might stay in Hill City for a night or two and explore a bit, it seems Sunday Gulch Trail (http://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/trails/sunday-gulch-trail) would be a nice hike for the day. We're camping the first night at Ashton Wildwood Park in Iowa, really just a stop for sleep and we drive again in the AM.

That does look pretty good. Other sources I turned up are calling it more like 720 feet of descent and ascent, though; I dunno where they're getting 214 ft. https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7019912

• Locked thread