Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

got any sevens posted:

Regarding Majorie Prime - have any movies (other than just a recording of a normal performance) been made specifically as stage plays, as if the viewer is in the audience? With dvd's now, maybe you could have an audiotrack with/without audience noises as well? You could still use a bit of editing since it's a movie, but try to film it mostly like a play, i.e. Hitchcock's Rope.

Marat/Sade is pretty close to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Battle Beyond the Stars is the best Seven Samurai remake.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

All 5 of The Yakuza Papers films (8.5/10)
Boyhood (9/10) I was suprised how much I liked this movie.
Elevator To The Gallows (7.5/10)
Pete's Dragon 2016 (7.5/10)
Tampopo (7/10)
The Secret Life of Pets (6/10)
Bad Moms (6/10)
Suicide Squad (4/10)

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

York_M_Chan posted:

Tampopo (7/10)
Suicide Squad (4/10)

If you would.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, why the hell is Tampopo only a 7?

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

I Before E posted:

If you would.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, why the hell is Tampopo only a 7?

I wanted to like Tampopo so much more, I really did. I am a sucker for movies about food, especially Asian food, but I really couldn't get behind the "skits" that kept popping up throughout. I understand that it was about the culture of and obsession with food but the were so tonally off-putting that it pulled me out of the main plot of the movie, which I loved. Without them I probably would have given it a 9. Maybe I'll give it another try someday.

Suicide Squad I don't think I have ever seen a bigger mess of a movie, it was a trainwreck from beginning to end and thinking about it again 4/10 seems pretty generous. It was trying to hard to be Guardians Of The Galaxy meets Deadpool that is lost any personality of its own. You can tell that it was reedited by producers. The jutebox soundtrack actually pulls you out of the movie unlike GotG whose pop-music soundtrack is a integral part of the plot. Jared Leto moronic method acting chewed so much scenery but wasn't rooted in anything substantial. I think there may have been a good movie in there somewhere at some point. Aside from all the awful stylistic choices they made, the movie just makes no sense. You know what... yeah I am going down to 2/10

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
More like Tampoopoo, am I right?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
The skits in Tampopo are of varying quality, but the end credits are legit top 5 of any movie ever.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Coaaab posted:

The skits in Tampopo are of varying quality, but the end credits are legit top 5 of any movie ever.

Unfortunately this isn't the Rate The Latest Breastfeeding Sequence You've Seen thread. Whatever happened to that thread, btw?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

York_M_Chan posted:

Unfortunately this isn't the Rate The Latest Breastfeeding Sequence You've Seen thread. Whatever happened to that thread, btw?

They milked the premise for all it was worth.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I Before E posted:

They milked the premise for all it was worth.

It was always pretty tough to latch on to.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Nothing But Trouble (1991): (2/10). I remember when seeing Chevy Chase and Dan Aykroyd's names involved with a movie meant that you could count on it being good. This is an odd film. It's supposed to be a comedy (I think), but it presents grisly scenes that would be more at home in a horror picture for laughs, and it's jarring. Right smack dab in the middle of "hilarious" scenes of people getting chewed up in some sort of death rollercoaster is a hip-hop performance. No joke. Avoid this movie and save yourself an hour and a half of life you'll never get back.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
John Wick Chapter 2: This movie takes everything from the first and amps it up, and it works. It helps that the director knows how to shoot action, but moving the camera back and letting you see the action without quick cuts and shaky camera bullshit. The characters are likeable and you understand each character's motivations.

8.5/10

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

PassTheRemote posted:

John Wick Chapter 2: This movie takes everything from the first and amps it up, and it works. It helps that the director knows how to shoot action, but moving the camera back and letting you see the action without quick cuts and shaky camera bullshit. The characters are likeable and you understand each character's motivations.

I saw this last night and can confirm it is indeed sick as hell. The plot is equally as absurd as the first one, and the action set pieces are super memorable and interesting. If you want a nuanced portrayal of complex characters that investigate violence and masculinity in the 21st century, you should not be watching John Wick. If you want to see a sad man in a tailored suit head-shot like 50 goddamn guys in some kind of giallo nightmare, this is 1000% what you should see.

This movie achieves exactly the thing it set out to, and it was a good time. A+ or 4 stars or whatever; you already know if you want to see this poo poo.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I really appreciate the understated world building of The John Wickverse, even civilians don't freak out when people are bleeding out next to them.

also liked the homages to the paranoia of the matrix red dress scene and mirrors from Enter the Dragon.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 10, 2017

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

got any sevens posted:

I really appreciate the understated world building of The John Wickverse, even civilians don't freak out when people are bleeding out next to them.

There's an amazing scene where Common and John Wick are having a knife fight on the PATH train, and all these passengers are barely reacting. Like, they're flinching at sudden moves, but nobody is standing up to move away. I guess, in the Wickverse, subway-car knife fights are akin to those acrobat Showtime Kids on the N train...you're a little concerned about getting kicked in the head, but not so much you're going to switch cars. "Let's see how this one pans out, guys."

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
For some reason I saw The Space Between Us(2016)! 2.5/5.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Fifteen of Many posted:

For some reason I saw The Space Between Us(2016)! 2.5/5.

Score seems high. Plz explain.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Score seems high. Plz explain.

Sure.

It's not great. Script feels like it's a few revisions away from a finished product. There are some really clunky lines and it seems like plot magic is required to move things forward in the first third - lots of silly coincidences. Editing too feels unfinished. Tonally it's all over the map, scenes step on each other, abruptly change emotional direction, some shots linger too long after the scene ends while others seem to cut away mid-action. But it feels so sincere in how doe-eyed and well-intentioned it is and the characters are likable enough that I couldn't bring myself to hate it. It's not deep or engaging, but it made me laugh a few times (not always intentionally) and I smiled once or twice. Not the worst way I've spent a Saturday. Mechanically it's a mess though.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

got any sevens posted:

also liked the homages to the paranoia of the matrix red dress scene and mirrors from Enter the Dragon.

The final scene with Ian McShane is the perfect cap on the theme the whole movie has been building towards: this is no secret society, it's just society. This is how this world operates, an ancap nightmare of commerce and contract, and excommunication makes Wick a pariah not just to the assassins, but to all humanity. His soul, his humanity is forfeit, and he is now just a wounded dog like he was at the end of the original. Also it's dope that a Hollywood blockbuster is this indebted to Tokyo Drifter. Maybe the next one will be more Branded To Kill.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I also saw Wick 2 last night and thought it was entertaining as hell. I was really hoping that Cassius and John would team up to kill Santino before fighting their own battle, since mute girl was shaping up to be a badass. When Cassius was sent to the bench relatively early I was kind of disappointed. Then I was disappointed again when mute girl turned out to be a chump.. Overall I still give it a 4/5 for being a solid action movie. Maybe in part 3 they'll realize that sending wave after wave of goons to take this guy out is not a very effective strategy, but I kind of hope not.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Crisis: Behind a Presidential Committment - 5/5 (Blu-Ray)
Faces of November - 5/5 (Blu-Ray)
Two-Way Stretch - 3/5 (TCM)
Weary River - 2.5/5 (TCM)
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg - 4.5/5 (TCM)
Rogue One - 4.5/5 (cinema)
Godzilla (1954) - 4/5 (Blu-Ray)
The Double Life of Veronique - 5/5 (Blu-Ray)
Secret Honor - 3/5 (FilmStruck)
Aparajito - 4.5/5 (Blu-Ray)
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul - 5/5 (FilmStruck)
The Best of Cinerama - 2.5/5 (Blu-Ray)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Godzilla, please. Given your other ratings that seems really low.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Veronique, please!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Godzilla - I wasn't expecting something this dark. It has this post-war gloom over it. I will say that the effects are excellent for the time and the occasionally "rickety" effect gives it character. It's disturbing in a few parts like when Godzilla attacks a radio tower and the announcer says goodbye over the air or people getting blasted with radioactive vapor. The pacing is a little off and it has a fairly odd use of stock footage (all of which is in bad shape).

The Double Life of Veronique - I love Kieslowski's Three Colors trilogy, but that's all I had seen by him. This is another masterpiece. It's about the beauty of life. Besides being gorgeously shot, one thing that stuck out was how sex is portrayed. Movie sex tends to either come off as voyeuristic or titillating. Instead, it's shown as a beautiful part of life.

Two-Way Stretch is a British jailbreak comedy starring Peter Sellers. Nothing amazing, but it's interesting seeing Sellers in a more plain role and there are some funny parts.

Also, The Best of Cinerama makes me wish I had a projector and a wall-sized screen. I have recently re-situated my living room, so the couch is much closer than before. The film is 2 1/2 hours of travelogue footage from other Cinerama films of the 50s, with narration. It kind of gets old after a while, but I know it has to play a lot better in an actual theater.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Veronique is really good.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The way Veronique ties all of its themes together is sublime. You're aware of this confluence of effects at all times but they're just complex enough to feel like this ethereal gauze over the whole movie, subtly influencing things. I can't think of another film like it that brings itself into such a cohesive whole.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I saw Three Colours and Veronique in university and enjoyed them but looking back now blatantly didn't get them. Rewatched TC very recently and they were absolute masterpieces so definitely ready to rewatch Veronique and *finally* get to Dekalog.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Eastern Promises - David Cronenberg, 2007 (rewatch)

Cronenberg at his most lean and efficient. In the hands of just about any other filmmaker, this movie would be at least two hours long and contain lots of extraneous scenes of plot exposition. But Cronenberg, like many great directors, has confidence in his audience to understand the implications of key lines and to grok the nuances of the characters without the need for hand holding.

It's a film that really rewards repeat viewings. A key character revelation near the end, for instance, puts all of that character's prior actions in a different, more complex, light.

The performances are solid across the board, with Mortensen being the standout. I feel he's often miscast in films that require him to be overly extroverted. His naturally calm, soft-spoken personality is a much better fit for parts like this. He's a marvel in this role.

And I'd be remiss to not talk about the bath house scene. I've never seen a more perfectly choreographed and directed fight scene. It's so intense because we're not totally sure what the outcome will be. It's brutal and uncomfortable and just brilliant.

5/5

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
The Den (2013) - 3.5/5

There are lots of terrible found footage movies, but this one is a bit of a gem. There's a slight twist on the shaky-cam found footage formula in that most of the movie takes place on our protagonist, Elizabeth's, laptop as she's gathering information for a collegiate research study that studies a Chatroullete style app called "The Den."

The tension is pretty slow-building and ultimately leads to a satisfying, if depressing, end. The acting is iffy in some spots but the lead, Melanie Papalia, is convincing.

Beyond the Gates (2016) - 3/5

A low budget horror movie with strains of Jumanji that has a clear love for 80s kitsch. Horror icon Barbara Crampton (Chopping Mall, Re-Animator, You're Next, etc) plays the narrator of the titular VHS board game that two brothers discover while clearing out their missing father's video store.

Pretty fun little movie with some good gore effects and a fun story. It tries to tackle some heavy themes like alcoholism and abandonment but those don't really go anywhere. The budget really shows in the disappointing climax, which looks like it was just filmed in someone's basement, but I was engaged throughout.

Train to Busan (2016) - 4/5

Kind of like Snowpiercer with zombies, but with surprisingly good emotional heft thanks to the excellent acting from all involved (especially the little girl who plays the daughter of the lovely hedge fund manager dad). The zombies have a weird herky-jerky motion to them that I haven't really seen done in quite this way before, and some of the larger set pieces are spectacular. Overall a really good movie.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
John Wick 2 - It's hard to rate this because it's basically a meathead action movie, but it's so gooood at it. Everything I liked about JW1 was back and fresh and just different enough to feel worth the sequel while true to the formula. The stuntwork is amazing, perhaps not technically on par with the Raid movies but excellent for attention to detail and peppering long fight sequences with mini-arcs moment to moment.

Visually the film was a treat to watch, with excellent camerawork and set design, lots of delicious things to look at and angles to look at them from. The plot is spartan but gets the job done and doesn't insult your intelligence. The world-building is phenomenal this time and I'm in love with the "Modern Luxury Assassin Fantasy" setting the Wickiverse shows us. It reminds me a lot of the 100 Bullets graphic novel. I'm trying to think of any quibbles or problems I had with the film and I'm drawing a blank. It doesn't pass the Bechdel test, I guess?

This film felt a lot funnier and sassier than JW1. It really feels like the filmmakers were composing the movie with a confidence and verve this time that allowed for more jokes and sight gags. A few scenes had me belly-laughing.

Lastly - NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED THIS TIME thankyouverymuch.

Judged on its merits as a genre piece that knows what it is and plays to its strengths, this is a 5/5 for me. I can't say enough good things about it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
From my recent batch of They Shoot Zombies, Don't They? films to watch

Rabid - 3/5
House by the Cemetary 4/5
TerrorVision 3/5

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Past month of films watched

Bourne Identity - 7/10
Bourne Supremacy - 7.5/10
The Great Dictator - 8/10
Manchester By The Sea 10/10
John Wick - 8/10
Kubo and the Two Strings - 7/10
The Last Unicorn - 9/10

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Logan's Run: 3/4, great set design really helps it

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

nerdman42 posted:

The Last Unicorn - 9/10

Really interested in your thoughts on this.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Lego Batman: jokes a mile-a-minute, like Hot Shots, they have tons of details referencing every previous Batman on screen (even the black/white shorts!), and it's basically another adventure in a kid's head, but without the fourth-wall breaking from the Lego movie. Good fun and some touching moments. 9/10 if you're a Bat-fan, probably a point or 2 lower if you're not.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

York_M_Chan posted:

Really interested in your thoughts on this.

The Last Unicorn - Its a classic and you can immediately tell why. Every single background art is gorgeous and, while there's some rough edges here and there, the film keeps up this level of stunning visuals throughout. The image of the unicorns literally being the waves of the ocean is the most jaw-dropping and striking image of the entire movie. Its just incredible.

Most of the characters are pretty clearly motivated, from the witch hoping to make a quick buck and super duper accepting of her death at the hands of the harpy, the band of thieves just getting through the day, to Molly just wanting to hang out with cool magic creatures. And a lot of those side characters, like that drunk skeleton, are really memorable for that one scene they have. The only superfluous character I can think of is that stupid butterfly and even he provides necessary plot information. Christopher Lee does phenomenal with Haggard and the other voice actors do pretty well too.

The plot kind of revolves around immortality vs mortality and the way they emphasize all that is really well done. The witch and Schmendrik argue that immortality for humans is to be constantly remembered, which the harpy and the unicorn end up providing in different ways. Haggard is practically on the cusp of death and his only desire is to keep himself happy until the end, to the point of running the palace himself. But Schmendrik, Lir, and Molly are totally happy being mortal and Amalthea even begs to be kept mortal at one point.

Speaking of, thirty year old spoilers, but the entire "turned into a human" thing is MUCH more unnerving than I expected. At first I thought Amalthea was being overdramatic with her hatred for being human, but over the course of her stay she's constantly forgetting poo poo. One scene she can't remember where she is, in another she's forgotten Lir entirely. By the time Haggard confronts her and the big climax, she can't even seem to remember she was a unicorn at all. It seems like she was more drawn to Lir to bring some stability to her life more than anything. As miserable as it must be to be the only unicorn who knows human emotions and lost her love, the other option is being an identity-less woman who's memories only start at "I'm at this castle now". Its a rough deal either way.

All in all, it has some problems and weird moments (what's up with that tree), but on the whole its a great film.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
10 (2002) - Abbas Kiarostami essentially redoes The Taste of Cherry with lo-fi DV and tinny sound. With a few notable exceptions, the film is shot from two angles: a camera pointing at the passenger side of a car and a camera pointing at the driver's side. The driver is a young remarried woman, and the film is entirely made of ten scenes of her conversations with her passengers, usually other women, be they friends or strangers. These conversations start out with an examination of the personal problems afflicting these women and then dovetailing into the larger plight of women in Iran, this stark reality augmented by the bustling environment and the cars & people of Tehran glimpsed on the periphery of the car's windows. I imagine Kiarostami had these frank conversations take place in a car because of the privacy afforded by this space, whereas anything more public is where the Iranian authorities would have had to intervene. Pointedly, her only male passenger is her seven-year-old son, who resents his mother for divorcing his father, a looming but hardly seen presence. While there is some nuance of the son being angry at his mother for working too hard at her job (apparently involving photography and painting) to properly take care of him, as the film goes on, the son's criticisms of his mother begin to reflect traditional Iranian values and thus he ends up being one of the most irritating, loudmouths in the history of film, his childish selfishness becoming an avatar for Iranian state & traditional society. This absolutely had to have been the film at the forefront of Jafar Panahi's mind when making Taxi Tehran (2015).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Crowd - 4.5/5 [TCM]
I Am Cuba - 4.5/5 [FilmStruck[/b]
Kubo and the Two Strings - 4/5 [in-flight movie]
Hail the Conquering Hero - 5/5 [DVD]

The Crowd is one of the important films I had tried to see for literally half my life, but even as of 2017 it's one of many films that was only released on VHS and laserdisc. It's fascinating in how it comes off as a proto-neo-realist film, while also having incredible silent film form. It's not exactly uplifting, but it's committed to its realism.

I Am Cuba has to be one of the most stunningly photographed films I've ever seen. The camera is constantly moving, often seemingly impossible movements. Like a shot that starts at the top of a building and ends in a swimming pool, all in one unbroken take. The stories are threadbare, but the point is a stylized sort of storytelling. I totally see why so many filmmakers were inspired, though.

Kubo and the Two Strings continues the Laika tradition of absolutely stunning stop-motion animation with unconventional storytelling. I think it's a pity their films aren't as appreciated since I think ParaNorman is one of the best films of the last ten years (and a masterpiece). This is close, even with having a bit of awkwardness. Still, I think the ending was gutsy and wouldn't have worked in a lesser made film.

I'm trying to go through Preston Sturges' filmography and I've yet to not love one of his films (others I've seen are The Lady Eve, Sullivan's Travels, The Sin of Harold Diddlebock, and The Great McGinty). This manages to top one scene after another with something funnier. But I love how it has a lot of heart and is one of the more honestly patriotic films I've seen. Eddie Bracken nails it in his lead role. Plus, you get the usual Sturges actors like William Demarest, Jimmy Conlin, and Franklin Pangborn. Demarest steals every scene he's in. Extra points for some really impressive long takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

How on Earth is it that The Crowd has not been released on a digital disc!? Is there some studio weirdness holding it back?

I loved Sullivan's Travels but had only a middling response to The Lady Eve; is Hail the Conquering Hero more like the former or the latter?