Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The Edge of Seventeen (2016) dir. Kelly Fremon Craig 7.5/10
Resident Evil (2002) dir. Paul W.S. Anderson 5/10
Moonlight (2016) dir. Barry Jenkins 9/10
We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011) dir. Lynne Ramsay 8/10
T2 Trainspotting (2017) dir. Danny Boyle 8.5/10
The Accountant (2016) dir. Gavin O'Connor 6/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't a huge fan of Kubo outside of the visuals, but that ending is goddamn phenomenal. I cried

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The Edge of Seventeen (2016) dir. Kelly Fremon Craig 7.5/10
We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011) dir. Lynne Ramsay 8/10

If you would.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I saw The Crowd and was excited, because I originally misread it as A Face In The Crowd (a very relevant movie in the Trump era).

Anyway: Star Wars: The Force Awakens: 9/10

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Something that actually is a thing: the Spanish posters confirmed that the Jedi in the title is plural, it was translated as "Los últimos Jedi."

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

T2 Trainspotting (2017) dir. Danny Boyle 8.5/10

So it lives up to the sequel?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

nerdman42 posted:

So it lives up to the sequel?

I'm sure it lives up to itself, yes.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kangra posted:

How on Earth is it that The Crowd has not been released on a digital disc!? Is there some studio weirdness holding it back?

I loved Sullivan's Travels but had only a middling response to The Lady Eve; is Hail the Conquering Hero more like the former or the latter?

More like Travels.

The print on TCM had a few spots with nitrate decomp or poor quality dupes, so maybe they needed to do a lot of work. Apparently, The Big Parade wasn't a big seller on Blu-Ray despite being MIA for about 20 years. It has an orchestral score by Carl Davis, so music isn't a problem.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Moonlight (2016) dir. Barry Jenkins 9/10

Please :)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Shoot Em Up - dumb and fun as hell with some inventive action and a terrific villain in Paul Giamatti.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Arrival - 8.5/10
The Jungle Book (2016) - 6/10
Zhou Yu's Train - 7/10
The Magnificent Seven (2016) - 6.5/10
Grosse Pointe Blank - 8/10 (rewatch) Grosse Pointe Blank Soundtrack 10/10
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - 7/10 (rewatch)

Donnie Yen Triple Feature:
Ip Man 2 - 7.5/10
Special ID - 7/10
Iceman - 6/10

EDIT - forgot two:
Branded To Kill 7/10
The Red Shoes (1948) 8/10

York_M_Chan fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 21, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

A History of Violence - David Cronenberg, 2005 (rewatch)

My fourth viewing of this movie and I'm less vexed. It clicked a bit more. I also enjoyed it more than I ever have. I think the corniness of the first half is an intentional way of presenting the good-hearted small town innocence that makes the violence so jarring. I do, however, think there's just a bit of unintentional cheese in here too, such as some of the dialogue delivery by the son and the bully. But all of that is trumped by the intensity of the key scenes, the acting by the leads, and the last fifteen minutes. I could watch the William Hurt scene on loop ad infinitum and never get tired of it. Hurt's reaction to the failed kill is some of the most spot on acting I've ever seen.

3.5/5

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I have a hard time believing any cheese in a Cronenberg film is unintentional. For all his dark subject matters, the man has a pretty goofy sense of humour.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Fences - 84/100
20th Century Women - 90/100
The Lure - 86/100
Toni Erdmann - 81/100
I Am Not Your Negro - 96/100

Astounding year for black cinema, by the way

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Fences - 84/100
Toni Erdmann - 81/100

Please go into further detail.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Most recent first:
All Watched Over By Machines Of Loving Grace (2011): 4/5
Quadrophenia (1978): 4.5/5
A Cure For Wellness (2017): 4/5
Metallica: Some Kind Of Monster (2004): 3/5
Paul's Case (1980): 4/5
Paris Is Burning (1990): 5/5
John Wick Chapter 2 (2017): 4.5/5
Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events (2004): 4/5 (rewatch)
The Master (2012): 5/5 (rewatch)
Glengarry Glen Ross (1992): 4.5/5
The Exterminating Angel (1962): 4/5
Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Story Of The National Lampoon (2015): 2.5/5
Trainspotting (1996): 4/5
Little Sister (2016): 3.5/5
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street (2007): 2/5
Macgruber (2010): 4.5/5
The Nightmare (2015): 0.5/5

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

I Before E posted:

John Wick Chapter 2 (2017): 4.5/5
The Master (2012): 5/5 (rewatch)
Trainspotting (1996): 4/5

These please.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I Before E posted:

Paris Is Burning (1990): 5/5
The Nightmare (2015): 0.5/5

These if you will

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You fool! The Nightmare owns.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Live by night 6.5/10

Great first hour, then it gets a little weak and a little slow through the middle half hour or so but it does pick back up.

Elle Fanning is super weak in her role. Affleck, saldana, others nail it and the story is solid but goddamn does her arc drag.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Paradine Case - 2/5 [DVD rip]
Burroughs: The Movie - 4/5 [FilmStruck]
Mrs. Miniver - 4.5/5 [DVR]
How Green Was My Valley - 4.5/5 [DVR]
Going My Way - 4.5/5 [DVR]

Having seen The Paradine Case, I only have one more American Hitchcock movie to see (Under Capricorn). This is a real slog of a film that's redeemed only by some splendid photography, Alida Valli's performance, and some alright supporting turns for Charles Laughton and Louis Jourdan. The narrative is jumbled, with haphazard editing, and non-sequitors of scenes. Not surprisingly, producer (and screenwriter!) David O. Selznick chopped out a ton of footage out of the film before release. Meh.

I'm not at all familiar with William S. Burroughs, but this is a fascinating documentary. Made up entirely of candid, and oddly frank interviews with Burroughs and his friends. What's interesting is how a lot of the stranger things in his life are portrayed without condescension. A lesser film would have spun Burroughs living with his male assistant as freakish, but it's portrayed warmly. Probably should read Naked Lunch someday...

I held off on several Best Picture winners since they looked kind of "meh" to me. Mrs. Miniver is a real eye-opener. I don't particularly care for the golden age MGM aesthetic, but this plays on it. When the film starts, it seems like another weepie. Instead, it's a dark, stoic take on British life just before and during WWII. The scene that takes place during the London bombings is terrifying, with the family huddled in a shelter reading from Alice in Wonderland. Not surprisingly, it was directed by William Wyler, who seemed to know a thing or two about making great movies. One of the best endings I've seen on a wartime film.

How Green Was My Valley is probably treated unkindly by many today for beating Citizen Kane at the Oscars, but even Welles had nothing but praise for this film. This is prime John Ford. Beautifully shot, but also unrelenting on life in a Welsh coal mining town. While it's mostly serious, Ford indulges a scene of comedy with an abusive teacher getting his comeuppance. One highlight is a young Roddy McDowall in one of the more impressive child acting roles I've seen. Also has great roles for Walter Pidgeon, Maureen O'Hara, and Walter Huston.

Going My Way is another lovely film that manages to avoid gloom. It's such a positive film, it's no wonder it was extremely popular when it came out during the war. Very nice mix of comedy and pathos, not surprising that it was directed by Leo McCarey. Only negative point would be an opera scene that goes on way too long, but other than that a great film.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Lone Ranger
For a long time this is a bad movie, with only Fichtner being the bright spot. Then the movie suddenly becomes a cartoon (complete with the William Tell overture) and for that brief period of time the movie is loving great.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Alhazred posted:

The Lone Ranger
For a long time this is a bad movie, with only Fichtner being the bright spot. Then the movie suddenly becomes a cartoon (complete with the William Tell overture) and for that brief period of time the movie is loving great.

Yeah, the last 20-some minutes are great.

Really, the film would have been improved just by taking out the "Old Tonto" scenes, because they add absolutely nothing to the movie. They come off as contractual obligation, as if Johnny Depp had to appear in a fixed percentage of the movie.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Hell Or High Water - I think this is the greatest movie with the worst casting choices I have ever seen. The two brothers are just so wrong for the tone of this movie while everything else feels so genuine Chris Pine (who I typically enjoy) just looks out of place, he is just too clean, and Ben Foster (who I can never really stand) seems to be doing some kind of caricature of someone he heard about once. 8/10

They Live - I kept putting of seeing this movie. I knew basically what it was about and knew it would be cheesy but... Wow it was bad. (2/10)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

York_M_Chan posted:

They Live - I kept putting of seeing this movie. I knew basically what it was about and knew it would be cheesy but... Wow it was bad. (2/10)

:vince:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
mods?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

I'll try to explain. Maybe if I saw this when I was 13 or something I would have loved it, and I probably should have seen it then. Now, at 35 this is the most heavy handed messes of a film ever made. There is no sense of nostalgia for me that, maybe, you guys have. And I like John Carpenter but this was a train wreck. What little plot there is makes no loving sense.

Keith David kicks rear end in this, obviously. What am I missing?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

York_M_Chan posted:

What am I missing?

In addition to its broad artistic influence it's one of the great politically subversive films of the Reagan era.

Zizek is always fun.

Or in Carpenter's own words

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 27, 2017

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

In addition to its broad artistic influence it's one of the great politically subversive films of the Reagan era.

Zizek is always fun.

Or in Carpenter's own words

Yes I got the point, kinda hard to miss it when it is done with such a heavy hand. That being said, there are a lot of very influential films that really have to be seen in the time and place when they were made. Now this whole movie comes off like a lovely high school punk song or a student film.

This movie was like eating a pixie stick. As a kid, the intensity & obviousness is amazing but as an adult with an aged palate it is hard to stomach and you want something a little more subtle. I just should have seen it when I was younger is all.

EDIT: VVVVV Probably my favorite part of the movie.

York_M_Chan fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 27, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
What did you think of the long fight scene?

I still love that scene, no nostalgia needed

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

York_M_Chan posted:

Yes I got the point, kinda hard to miss it when it is done with such a heavy hand. That being said, there are a lot of very influential films that really have to be seen in the time and place when they were made. Now this whole movie comes off like a lovely high school punk song or a student film.

This movie was like eating a pixie stick. As a kid, the intensity & obviousness is amazing but as an adult with an aged palate it is hard to stomach and you want something a little more subtle. I just should have seen it when I was younger is all.

EDIT: VVVVV Probably my favorite part of the movie.

I dunno, man, I'm your age and I first saw it in like 2007. It just owns.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

The Shootist- Unforgiven stands on the shoulders of this script, and I love Unforgiven. (9/10)

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

These if you will

I probably wasn't in the right mood for The Nightmare, but I just could not bear how chintzy the effects were and how dull the actual dreams were.

With regard to Paris Is Burning, I'm not sure there's anything left to say. What particularly stood out to me is how these families provide a structure and love for people in situations where that's sorely missing, where they're estranged at best from their biological families, and this could so easily have been dismissed as unseemly or shown as a sideshow to gawp at, but it isn't.

Dol posted:

These please.

I'll try to get to these tonight, I've been busy lately.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I Before E posted:

Please go into further detail.

Fences - 84/100

This film has absolutely magnetic performances all around, and everyone just NAILS the language and momentum of the scenes. It's wonderful that the film manages to capture the intricacy and contradiction in the characters in a non-judgemental manner, while not being shy about some of the more chauvinistic elements of main characters and how those character traits were also part of a struggle of the time they represent. It's an absolutely exhausting film though, emotionally, foremost, but also in terms of length and linguistic complexity. By the closing scene you wonder how many more climaxes the movie can have. The film is shot beautifully, overall, restrained (similar to Manchester By The Sea), but there are a few glaring moments of poor focus, or scenes where the camera could've been used more creatively to represent the mentality of its characters, whether intoxicated by booze, anger, sadness, or reverie. Though maybe that restrained camera is fitting for a story about people's responses to big events that happen elsewhere. I can't really remember the soundtrack at all, but it didn't detract. A respectful, non-controversial adaptation of challenging material, similar to my feelings on Arrival earlier this year.

Toni Erdmann - 81/100

Toni Erdmann is a tough nut to crack, and while brilliant it's not for everybody, nor does it feel built for repeat views. It's about so many different things, yet all of its subjects are interconnected in very concrete, seemingly mundane ways. It can be funny, boring, awkward, and tragic...all in the span of 20 minutes. It's hard for me to call it a comedy, really, though the main characters seem remarkably aware of a spartan comic fiber that binds aspects of everyday life. Over the course of nearly 3 hours you really get inside the heads of these people, though my main takeaways were less personal and more reflections of the contemporary corporate environment: the power structures of the male business class that inexorably co-opt and subdue everything in sight, from rural tradition and class distinction to humor, creativity, happiness, sexuality, food, and even listlessness. This film often times comes about with incredible subtlety regarding the divide between the international corporate Haves and the localized morass of red-zoned Have-nots, and yet the ways in which it demonstrates this increasing divide are brutally subversive. The clean, antiseptic, architectural spaces and repetitive, gobbledygook legalese of corporate life reveal themselves as soul-deadening, lifeless, and filled with pretense. The ways in which women are both required to systematically subdue their sexuality and flaunt it in order to exist within the masculine hierarchy are bizarre, tedious, and pathetic...sometimes all at once, and yet those terms of compliance also expose the fragility and emptiness of that ever-elusive goal at the center of elite capitalism. The only way to wrest ourselves from an unwinnable and unsustainable corporate religion is to emasculate it and eat the cum-covered cupcake. Empowerment through humor, and well worth the time.

also

Spectre - 46/100

Ugh. I just really dislike the Mendes Bond flicks, they're awful, dour, nonsensical, poorly written and incredibly plodding. About the best thing you can say about this and Skyfall is that the cinematography in each is composed of well-framed, crisp shots with excellent color correction. Spectre itself is an interminable film. None of the actors have chemistry, wit or even really a desire to be there. Why is Monica Belucci even in the film? And the love relationship between Bond and Swann is absolutely bizarre in its emptiness. The film is riddled with lazy callbacks, lame hacking scenes and grandiose action that is somehow...not exciting. And the score is a mix of pandering contemporary pop and filler tension music cribbed from Heat, or any other Michael Mann thriller in the last two decades. In addition to being an awful, unfun watch Spectre is also maddeningly nationalistic. gently caress it.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 2, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Unholy Three - Tod Browning, 1925

Browning excels at making movies you look at and realize would never in a million years get made today. Imagine this idea being pitched to a Hollywood studio in 2017: A strong man, a male ventriloquist dressed as an old lady, and a little person acting as a baby team up to burglarize people. They work out of a pet shop and case homes by conning people into buying non-talking birds (via the ventriloquist's skill) and then make a house call to the complaining customer. Oh, and they own a giant killer chimpanzee.

It's absurd in the most charming way. But among the absurdity is some surprisingly dark material. A little kid gets intentionally kicked in the face, her mouth covered in blood. A murder is committed and then the victim is mocked for the way he pleaded for his life. And the aforementioned giant killer chimpanzee lives up to his namesake. Seriously that's the scariest chimp I've ever seen. This is probably the earliest black comedy I've seen. And it's a pitch black one. It's an absolute riot and I loved every second of it.

4/5

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

York_M_Chan posted:

If the message doesn't hold up, explain how in the sweet holy gently caress Donald J. Trump is the President and not Bernie Sanders.

e: to be more clear, for as long as there are right-wingers, making GBS threads on right-wingers will always have value.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 2, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Unknown - Tod Browning, 1927

What a bizarre and exciting movie. Although a bit on the contrived side, it's the kind of dark, ironic story that only Tod Browning in the pre-code era could pull off. It's like the prototype for every Tales from the Crypt episode. Even without his makeup, there's something indescribably menacing about Lon Chaney. There's a mania to his performance which is hinted at throughout the film but comes to the fore in the final few minutes. That finale is just insane. I love it.

If I have one complaint about this film it's its brevity. I'm all in favor of short films, but at only 50 minutes I felt like the movie was too concise. I would have liked to see the love triangle plot more fleshed out. And call me sick, but seeing the actual surgical operation could have been fun.

Regardless, this is a twisted, fun movie that should appeal to fans of both horror and silent cinema, both of which I am.

4.5/5

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Selections from the last month or so:

The Lure 5/5
In Order of Disappearance 4/5
13th 3/5
Swiss Army Man 2/5
Toni Erdmann 5/5
Ixcanul 5/5
David Brent: Life on the Road 1/5
Kilo Two Bravo 4/5
Hell or High Water 5/5
Sing Street 5/5
Silence 5/5
I Don’t Feel at Home in This World Anymore 4/5

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The Lure 5/5
In Order of Disappearance 4/5
Toni Erdmann 5/5
Ixcanul 5/5
Hell or High Water 5/5
Sing Street 5/5
Silence 5/5

You sure are throwing around a lot of perfect scores. I'd like to hear your thoughts on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Selections from the last month or so:

I Don’t Feel at Home in This World Anymore 4/5

I've heard some encouraging stuff about this one.