Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
St. Valentine's Day Massacre is really really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Egbert Souse posted:

Akira Kurosawa's Dreams - 4/5 [Blu-Ray]
The World of Apu - 5/5 [Blu-Ray]
Blood and Black Lace - 4.5/5 [TCM DVR]

If you please.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

If you please.

Updated my original post.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

St. Valentine's Day Massacre is really really great.

My favorite part was when Paul Wight threw Austin into the cage wall and it busted causing Austin to win the match

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 13, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Movie 43 (2013): 0/10
The Asphalt Jungle (1950): 8/10

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Saw the new Pirates movie, solid 3/5 blockbuster.

It was kind of odd how little tension there was for half of it, the plot moved along mostly straightforwardly, with only a couple little twists. They didnt waste screen time setting up sequels though, thankfully (compared to something like Fantastic Beasts, which I just rewatched yesterday and seemed to spend at least 10% of its runtime on stuff that will only pay off in sequels). The direction was also a slightly lower tier than Pirates 1 - it just didn't 'pop' with a sense of grandeur much. It was still good, just wasn't as good as I was hoping. Still, glad I saw it. Check it out if you have an afternoon to kill before something else comes out.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Wonder Woman is really solid, basically a more serious version of Captain America

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

got any sevens posted:

Wonder Woman is really solid, basically a more serious version of Captain America

That sounds bad though

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I'm usually bored by comic movies, but Wonder Woman sounds fun.

Not $11 fun, but for $4 and a beer you can count me in. Gal Gadot seems like she justifies the experience alone.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 3, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

glam rock hamhock posted:

That sounds bad though

I love the lighter cheerful tone of Cap too, but WW works well, it's not overly dour like i've heard BvS is

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Wonder Woman - 3/5. Gal Gadot is easily the best part of the DCU at this point and if all of their films were as good as this then they could have a future competing with Marvel. Chris Pine is solid too. Visuals were excellent.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 22, 2018

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
MoS and BvS hold their own just fine with the Marvel stock. I'm glad there are different takes on superheroes rather than some bland amalgamation. More diversity and meaningful character/social exploration is better. Marvel is following their formula, DC is following theirs. It doesn't have to be some Marvel vs DC battle. The tribalism is downright insane.

got any sevens posted:

I love the lighter cheerful tone of Cap too, but WW works well, it's not overly dour like i've heard BvS is
BvS explores some dark and/or complicated themes, it's not necessarily a dour movie.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 3, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

DC doesn't have a formula, that's the problem. They're all over the place in tone and execution. I'm fine with different themes and styles, as long as the execution is there. MoS was a good start, but BvS was poorly written and Suicide Squad was one of the worst movies I've ever seen in theaters.

I like DC characters a lot more than Marvel and WANT to love the movies, but so far only WW gets to that mark (with MoS being close).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bottom Liner posted:

DC doesn't have a formula, that's the problem. They're all over the place in tone and execution. I'm fine with different themes and styles, as long as the execution is there. MoS was a good start, but BvS was poorly written and Suicide Squad was one of the worst movies I've ever seen in theaters.

I like DC characters a lot more than Marvel and WANT to love the movies, but so far only WW gets to that mark (with MoS being close).
Did you only see the theatrical cut of BvS? I'd give that cut like a 6.5 (plus another theoretical 1.5 points for letting your imagination play a bit instead of being handfed plot and exposition like most other comic book movies), but I'd give the Ultimate(?) cut a straight 8, or half a point less than MoS (if I give that an 8 or more).

DCs formula was to let Snyder play the institutionalizing force. Sort of like Feige with Marvel, but without being King. Snyder created the groundwork and they're letting directors have a little more leeway, with Ayer and Jenkins. Unfortunately, executive studio panick made them screw up and rush and recut Suicide Squad (SS ended up being a movie with good intentions, I guess a 2.5 out of five, an entire of those points solely for Joker, and Harley's interactions with him). Jenkins was working with a naturally lighter character than who Superman and Batman were - tonally and thematically. WW as a character has never not been in control of herself or unaware with how she fits in with her life - and in bringing her to the "real world" like they did with MoS and BvS there's simply a lot less jarring characterization.

Their formula was to explore the ramifications of a Superman and a Batman, and they don't necessarily need to plumb those depths with Aquaman or Cyborg or Flash, now that the world has been introduced to superheroes. Superman and Bats have created their places in the world, so they shouldn't have the same types of dark dissatisfactions with themselves. The characters can naturally be a little lighter and more playful in tone and theme.

My fascination with Snyder's take on Superman and Batman and even Lex was that they were all desperately searching for (or being thrust into) roles that they didn't really know how to handle, yet they had all the power to act. We got to see their characters grow, bend, warp, react or twist to social and internal pressures and try to rationalize their behavior. Never really saw that with these characters before on screen. I loved it and those films were beautifully shot/directed, to boot.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

We are very different viewers and fans of DC then, because I thought Joker was the worst part of SS and completely shoe-horned in there and that Harley would have been a better character without him in there.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bottom Liner posted:

We are very different viewers and fans of DC then, because I thought Joker was the worst part of SS and completely shoe-horned in there and that Harley would have been a better character without him in there.
I thought it was an amazing modern characterization of the Joker set in the current DCUs pseudo-realism. He's literally a horrible human being, and his relationship with Quinn was perfectly terrible. A monster and a bully, with a little self-hating joie de vivre. :shobon: Of course, I thought Heath Ledger's Joker was the only thing that elevated Dark Knight into something special. Loved that take on it, too. Hamill forever, though.

Can we at least agree that a majority of the modern DC Animated Movies are poorly done crap - 5/10s, at most? :ohdear:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 3, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I like that line from Bottom Liner.. I like DC characters more than Marvel but their movies do seem hit and miss. It's like Marvel Comics Universe is dadjoke characters but dads have jobs and can afford to make a franchise out of a turd (hellooo 10+ Superman movies, most of which were trash), while DC joints get picked up kind of pell-mell so they are super hit and miss even though the characters and writing are generally better.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I feel like the difference is Marvel has its formula, and that can be limiting, but they have a smooth-ish line of production going. The problem that DC movies have had is that Warner Bros. theoretically gives the filmmakers more leeway, but with BvS they made big cuts for length and it got weird, and on Suicide Squad they panicked and tried to completely overhaul it and the movie ended up totally disjointed as a result.

Basically studios will never learn that the time to completely change a movie is before it's in the can, if ever.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Marvel movies are dull as dishwater.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Superhero movies are dull as dishwater.

FTFY

Which leads me to my thoughts on Wonder Woman. It was good. I guess I can appreciate the morals that Wonder Woman represents in this movie, and the acting for the most part was pretty solid; but the action was sorta lame, the gratuitous use of slow mo was really distracting, and the writing left a lot to be desired. On the whole I get why it's so well received, but it doesn't feel like it breaks any of the typical superhero movie conventions; if anything, it fits snugly back into certain cliches.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

InterrupterJones posted:

FTFY

Which leads me to my thoughts on Wonder Woman. It was good. I guess I can appreciate the morals that Wonder Woman represents in this movie, and the acting for the most part was pretty solid; but the action was sorta lame, the gratuitous use of slow mo was really distracting, and the writing left a lot to be desired. On the whole I get why it's so well received, but it doesn't feel like it breaks any of the typical superhero movie conventions; if anything, it fits snugly back into certain cliches.

That was the point, people were lauding it for fitting more into the Marvel mold than the other distinctly not-Marvel movies.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
My problem with Marvel CU is that, at its heart it always felt like a bunch of old-rear end white guys in horn-rimmed glasses in the 50s were throwing poo poo at the wall and because they werre first, most of it stuck simply by virtue of lack of competition.. I mean look at The Frank Miller Batman, look at Watchmen, and then look at Marvel anything.. If it weren't for the X Men universe I could pretty much just ignore most of the MCU because it's mainly white male power fantasies which appropriate poo poo from minority cultures.

Then again, I grew up reading Dark Horse Comics so welp

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Drifter posted:

That was the point, people were lauding it for fitting more into the Marvel mold than the other distinctly not-Marvel movies.

I mean, the DC mold since Nolan's Batman series ended was unwatchable tripe, so this might be a step up at least.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ratedargh posted:

I mean, the DC mold since Nolan's Batman series ended was unwatchable tripe, so this might be a step up at least.

Haha, careful not to cut anybody on that edgy post of yours.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

coyo7e posted:

My problem with Marvel CU is that, at its heart it always felt like a bunch of old-rear end white guys in horn-rimmed glasses in the 50s were throwing poo poo at the wall and because they werre first, most of it stuck simply by virtue of lack of competition.. I mean look at The Frank Miller Batman, look at Watchmen, and then look at Marvel anything.. If it weren't for the X Men universe I could pretty much just ignore most of the MCU because it's mainly white male power fantasies which appropriate poo poo from minority cultures.

Then again, I grew up reading Dark Horse Comics so welp

Marvel superhero comics are specifically a 1960s phenomenon, and Frank Miller licks Jack Kirby's boots, you filthy animal.

edit; Watchmen is garbo, too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Drifter posted:

Haha, careful not to cut anybody on that edgy post of yours.

That's the consensus of everyone with two eyes man

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

That's the consensus of everyone with two eyes man

disagree

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
While it certainly doesn't mean they are factually bad, from what I can tell outside of CineD the Marvel movies tend to be very well liked and the non-Nolan DC movies tend to be considered really bad. Rarely do I see Superman Returns, Man of Steel, BeaViS or Suicide Squad brought up in a positive light anyplace not here (with almost no one here liking SS either). I'm not saying this as some proof of goodness but rather to counter the idea that saying the DC movies aren't good is somehow edgy.

Also please do not turn this thread into the comic book movie thread tia

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
okay y'all can shut up about comics now. Here's some movies I just saw, ratings out of 100:

Moonlight (2016) - 92
Everybody Wants Some!! (2016) - 82
John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017) - 78
Logan (2017) - 90
3 Godfathers (1948) - 76
Notorious (1946) - 83
The BFG (2016) - 60
Bridge of Spies (2015) - 86
Clifford (1994) - 60
Lincoln (2012) - 73
War Horse (2011) - 64
The Adventures of Tintin (2011) - 79
The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 (2011) - 80
War of the Worlds (2005) - 80

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 7, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

got any sevens posted:

Belladonna of Sadness 5/5, I was rooting for satan. That last shot sure is odd though implying the french revolution was in part spurred by Jeanne's pact with Satan to overthrow the king coming true. Gorgeous visuals and a great soundtrack made every second worth watching, as long as you can handle an enormous amount of phallic imagery.

Not the French Revolution specifically- Jeanne's pact with Satan ends up creating feminism, and this is portrayed as an unambiguously good thing.

I loving love that movie.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
The Bad Batch - 2/5

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

TychoCelchuuu posted:

okay y'all can shut up about comics now. Here's some movies I just saw, ratings out of 100:

Moonlight (2016) - 92
Everybody Wants Some!! (2016) - 82
John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017) - 78
Logan (2017) - 90
3 Godfathers (1948) - 76
Notorious (1946) - 83
The BFG (2016) - 60
Bridge of Spies (2015) - 86
Clifford (1994) - 60
Lincoln (2012) - 73
War Horse (2011) - 64
The Adventures of Tintin (2011) - 79
The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 (2011) - 80
War of the Worlds (2005) - 80

Clifford?

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/clifford-1994

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

https://www.secretcinemapodcast.com/clifford

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
https://soundcloud.com/griffin-and-david-present/clifford

This podcast is the reason I watched the movie, actually.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wonder Woman - 81/100

The first comic movie I've genuinely enjoyed in a long rear end time.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Serpico - 5/5 (HDNET Movies DVR)

70s Al Pacino directed by Sidney Lumet. See this immediately if you haven't already.

Clash of the Titans (1981) - 4.5/5 (TCM DVR)

Wow, for some reason I had remembered not liking this movie. Watching it again, it's a huge bit of fun. Yeah, it has a wooden lead, but it has so much imagination and not a wasted moment. As a side note, I recall the movie looking really grainy and ugly in the past, while it looked gorgeous here.

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Roadshow Cut) - 4/5 (Blu-Ray)

I haven't watched this all the way through in years. The extended cut on VHS was what I watched a lot in middle school. Through some miracle, about 20 minutes of footage was salvaged from decayed film, an old video master, and still photos. It works amazingly well, even if the film kind of works better in its shorter form.

Kino-Eye - 2.5/5 (Blu-Ray)
Kino Pravda No. 22 [short] - 3/5 (Blu-Ray)

Dziga Vertov's best known film, Man with the Movie Camera, is a masterpiece. This earlier experimental "documentary" is a bit amateurish in comparison. Literally two reels of the film are spent just showing stuff shot backwards. Including a bull going through the slaughterhouse, so you get to see them stuff entrails back into the carcass. It reminds me of how amateurish Strike is in comparison with Eisenstein's next film Battleship Potemkin. Oh well.

Enthusiasm (1931) - 4/5

Dziga Vertov's first sound film is a fascinating companion film to "Man" - though, with the coming of sound is far more blatant propaganda. I think it's funny how Eisenstein comes off as more interested in form than the propaganda aspect on his films, but Vertov is a true believer. There's a bizarre sequence with a church being raided for icons and artwork complete with split screen kaleidoscope shots making it look like cathedrals are disintegrating into themselves. Still, the use of sound is amazing - it's so abstract and creative. There's also some really nice photography of stuff like steel mills and farms.

Buster Keaton Short Films (1920-1923):
(Best films with *)

The High Sign*
One Week*
Convict 13*
The Scarecrow
Neighbors*
The Haunted House
Hard Luck
The Goat*
The Playhouse*
The Boat*
The Paleface
Cops** - My pick for the greatest silent comedy short ever made.
Day Dreams
The Frozen North
The Electric House*
The Blacksmith
My Wife's Relations*
The Balloonatic
The Love Nest

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Coraline was pretty formulaic:

1. Welcome to this strange new place, let's explore it along with the audience. Shame I do not like it and my parents do not have time for me (and won't buy me those gloves)
2. But! There is an easy way out. How delightful.
3. Oh no, the person providing me with the cheap thrills turns out to be evil. Let's fight her.
4. Now that I defeated the evil one everything is just wonderful. The end.

While the girl thought she saved her parents, in their own perception their hard work finally paid off and they eventually were able to provide their daughter with some material goods after all, which along with attention seem to be essential for leading a happy live. I thought that was a bit muddying the message as they reached their own goals in a different way from Coraline (by working, saving money and neglecting their daughter).

Movie was really well made and the heroine was not-annoying, but story-wise it just went through the motions. I guess I don't like the idea that there always has to be an adversary (even if you read this an internal struggle) that is absolutely evil and there is no hope of reconciliation or synthesis and only physical elimination to get rid of it. But its a tried and trusted formula. It did look good though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Coraline isn't so much about the parents being bad and learning a lesson but Coraline learning that love does not mean always getting what you want. The other Mother is a creature that doesn't understand love and mistakes thinks it's the same thing as possessing and feeding off someone. Coraline's parents are going through a lot and just want what's best for her but she only sees them neglecting her and making her do things she doesn't like so the Other Mother offering her what she thinks wants appeals to her but when she is loved back in the same way, she starts to see how horrible it is.

Also, the mittens at the end are more of a confirmation that Coraline's real mother really does understand her, not supposed to be a reward that Coraline gets.

Yeah, the whole thing will probably be weird from the perspective of Coraline's parents but it's not really about what they're going through.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Maki - 86/100
Knife in the Water (rewatch) - 98/100