Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Nina Forever (2015)
Directed by Ben Blaine, Chris Blaine

A man finds himself in love with a woman, the only problem is his ex isn't having any of it. This movie straddles the line of being a very dark romantic movie with some perfectly executed dark comedy layered through many horror offerings and a touch of crazy. I really enjoyed watching this, and couldn't help but wonder where this was going to end up. Everything about the movie was really well done, including the actors.

3.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Fresh (2022)
Directed by Mimi Cave

Holy moly. A woman is striking out trying to find a good date until she meets someone at a local super market. Too good to be true? This movie pushed me to my limits. The amount of disgusting fuckery going on was redlining my tolerance level. They tried putting some comedic breathers in, but they weren't working for me. All the characters were pretty amazing, and by the end of the movie I was blown away. As hard of a watch this was, it was incredibly rewarding.

4/5

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The Creator (2023) - 2.5/5

It’s extremely impressive that Gareth Edwards made a movie on an $80 million budget that looks better than some $200 million movies, but I’d like to see him do something with a better script some time.

*Checks notes* oh God, he’s slated for a Jurassic World sequel.

Also feels like maybe this was going to be a hard R al la District 9 at some point before they decided to go for a broader audience and removed the blood and gibs from the render a few explosions. I don’t think the mildly grittier, bloodier version of the movie is substantially better, though.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Dunc part two. 4.5/5
holy war is here. inshallah denis

The iron claw 3/5.
good, but a few scenes just didnt do it for me.

May December 1.5/5.
I do not understand why people like this. At all.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Synchronic (2019)
Directed by Aaron Moorhead, Justin Benson

People are taking a new drug that showed up at the local gas stations and smoke shops. Two paramedics are called to multiple bizarre scenes from people overdosing on this new drug. Weird things are happening that really can't be explained. The story is well done, the characters were well written and acted. Nothing out of step here. Just a solid, and interesting story. Thumbs up.

3.5/5

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 28, 2024

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Return to Nuke 'Em High Volume 1
Directed by Lloyd Kaufman

The last Troma movies I watched were Surf Nazis Must Die and The Toxic Avenger, and that was way back in high school. They were stupid fun. Nothing has changed, they're still making the same movies. It's like one big dumb party movie with boobs, dicks, goop, and a ridiculous plot. Its just really stupid humor peppered with fart noises and more boobs and chicks making out with each other and a duck. I love that these movies exist, it gives Japan some competition. Sort of. Or is it the other way around. Who cares. *farrrrrt*

3/5

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Philthy posted:

Return to Nuke 'Em High Volume 1
Directed by Lloyd Kaufman

The last Troma movies I watched were Surf Nazis Must Die and The Toxic Avenger, and that was way back in high school. They were stupid fun. Nothing has changed, they're still making the same movies. It's like one big dumb party movie with boobs, dicks, goop, and a ridiculous plot. Its just really stupid humor peppered with fart noises and more boobs and chicks making out with each other and a duck. I love that these movies exist, it gives Japan some competition. Sort of. Or is it the other way around. Who cares. *farrrrrt*

3/5
Lol never has a gif made me more interested in seeing a movie. Love it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Dune: Part Two
Directed by Denis Villeneuve

Directed by Denis Villeneuve

The second part of the Dune saga. Paul Atreides struggles to find a way to avoid what his prescience is showing him. Ultimately, he makes a choice, and the universe trembles. The movie looked and sounded amazing. The acting is still fantastic across the board. It was an epic conclusion to the the first part of the Dune series. However, much of the movie felt disjointed, or possibly rushed. The first movie did such an amazing job building everything up, and pacing it perfectly to the end. Scenes in the second part go by in a matter of moments, and there are a LOT of them. The final showdown just seemed like another quick scene on a pile, rather than intricately orchestrated on the level of the first film. It will be interesting to see if they work as a single film or not. My current feeling is that it will be too jarring between films. A great movie, nonetheless. But not quite up to the first one's perfection.

4.5/5

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 2, 2024

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Koko-di Koko-da (2019)
Directed by Johannes Nyholm

A couple decides to go on vacation, and along the way they decide to camp out for a night. While camping they face an incredible struggle with their love for each other, along with a few uninvited visitors. This is what I would consider more of a light-surreal psychological horror movie, with some pretty brutal scenes. The tale that is being told is a very depressing one, but ultimately one worth watching.

3/5

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 2, 2024

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Smile (2022)
Directed by Parker Finn

A therapist at a psychiatric ward encounters an individual who claims they are being stalked by something evil. As she tries to help uncover what might happening, she slowly begins to realize the individual might be telling the truth. This flick was creepy as hell, and I enjoyed this one quite a bit. It has a great set up, and the middle sort of drags a little with some huge highlights, and then the final act is great. Who ever said this pairs with It Follows is spot on. These two would be the perfect drive-in duo. If, you know, we still had drive-in theaters. Thumbs up!

4/5

Philthy fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 3, 2024

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I rewatched the first Dune since I plan to see the second one with a ~free ticket~ and felt a little fuzzy on the first. While the sound was mixed better for my headphones than the theater I saw it (plus subtitles which I like), it is a film that loses something in home viewing. The vastness of the expanses and the creepiness of some of the creepy scenes just kind of doesn't hit the same way. Still really good though, is my rating.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Agree with most of this. The design of pretty much everything was incredible, the visuals, the audio, the music, everything. But did feel rushed, a bunch of ideas all flying by without any reflection, all these enormous events that could almost be entire films in themselves, but everyone takes them in their stride like its no big deal, then on to the next thing. I get it's kinda the nature of the beast when trying to adapt this book, but it's still a shame.

Also by the 34rd time one of the protagonists strode on screen with a bombastic swell of music it did start to feel a little bit silly. But still, a great ride.

4/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Versus (2000)
Directed by Ryûhei Kitamura

Two people escape prison and meet up with gangsters who are supposed to help them escape. They all get into a big fight in the haunted woods that literally lasts two hours. Two. Hours. Look, the choreography in this flick is pretty kickass. But after 20 minutes of never-ending fighting, it's about enough time to move on with an actual story. But it doesn't. It's just more fighting, and when they die, more people show up to keep fighting, and when they die more people show up. Then people who show up together end up fighting each other. Oh my god.

1.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Great Yokai War: Guardians (2021)
Directed by Takashi Miike

Two brothers must save Japan from a large creature crushing its way across the country. Along the way they meet yokai, which are all sorts of creatures in Japanese folklore. I was not expecting to watch a children's movie from the same director who did Ichi the Killer. This movie was really fun, and had so much going on you never got too bored. Hundreds of yokai, bone dragons, enraged gods, and more! The costume and practical effects were pretty amazing with so many amazing characters. The story itself has recognizable parts from other top tier childhood movies and makes for one huge epic adventure. I think as a kid I would have absolutely loved this.

3.5/5

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I agree with the previous posts about Dune 2.

I really enjoyed the de-saturated sequence, and lots of crowd shots that were references to the 1936 Olympics, I love that Villeneuve gives me treats like this.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Philthy posted:

The Great Yokai War: Guardians (2021)
Directed by Takashi Miike

Two brothers must save Japan from a large creature crushing its way across the country. Along the way they meet yokai, which are all sorts of creatures in Japanese folklore. I was not expecting to watch a children's movie from the same director who did Ichi the Killer. This movie was really fun, and had so much going on you never got too bored. Hundreds of yokai, bone dragons, enraged gods, and more! The costume and practical effects were pretty amazing with so many amazing characters. The story itself has recognizable parts from other top tier childhood movies and makes for one huge epic adventure. I think as a kid I would have absolutely loved this.

3.5/5
Here's my review of all the yokai war movies before this Mike didn't make

Classic weird gems with great cinematography and practical effects pure fun
4/5

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Battleship (2012): D
This movie is what happens when a six year old, hopped up on too much sugar, is inexplicably given a studio and millions of dollars to make a movie. The plot is full of so many cliches - loser who doesn't fit in but loves the muckety-muck's daughter (for some reason, this beautiful woman sees something in him) and is given a chance to Prove Himself; main character learns to appreciate his rival; embittered wounded veteran learns to live with his injury; etc - that you feel like someone rushed off a first draft from the first assignment of a creative writing class.

Then there's the utterly embarrassing and self-indulgent masturbation over the US military. Main character eventually loses his battleship to the alien invaders, so who does he decide to call on? Why, the battleship Missouri and WWII/Korea-era veterans, of course! Then there's an '80s style montage where the veterans show the young'uns a Thing Or Two and get the ship ready for combat. I mean....this is propaganda that would make North Korean state TV blush. I'm all for highlighting veterans and letting them be action heroes, but in this movie it almost comes across as condescending with the "America, gently caress yeah!" stuff. WWII/Korea veterans here are not veterans so much as set pieces.

I recorded Battleship off of the TV because I thought it would be a Rifftrax-style cheesefest, complete with a melodramatic "You sunk my battleship!" line. Instead I got an embarrassing, two hour long recruitment video with bad acting and hackneyed writing. It wasn't even funny bad; just bad. What a disappointment.

Next up is Sixteen Candles when I get around to it. Hopefully that will be more worth my time.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 6, 2024

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

I just watched MORBIUS (2022) the other day, probably a :one:/10

Wish I hadn't but I had no idea how bad it would be. It is really not worth watching, the talented actors in it are wasted, Jared Harris for instance is a powerhouse in something like Chernobyl and what the hell was he doing in this? Adria Arjona is similarly wasted with the writing making her a cardboard cutout "love interest but not really". I was trying to figure out why she looked so familiar and imdb'd her to see she was in Andor which I had recently just rewatched so kinda annoyed with myself for not recognizing her but very annoyed that she had nothing to do in this movie. I would say Matt Smith was wasted but he at least got to play around as a bad guy and even though every single thing that happens in this movie is predictable, I think he had fun with it.

The writing in this movie is so amazingly poo poo. Imagine a wealthy person hiring some mercenaries to work security on a large tanker so your sciencey friend can work on a cure in international waters because of the ethical concerns of his work. Then the lead merc gets bored and wanders down to where the eggheads are doing science and mocks the female because "lol females can't be doctors lol" in the year of our lord 2022! Whoever heard of a female Doctor??!! :hurr: I mean, sure I've been paid to work security for you but instead I think I'll come down here and give the audience an excuse to not care about me getting killed and oh, all us security guys have submachineguns and rifles for some reason and this isn't all an excuse to have action shots for the trailer so people think this movie is an "action movie". The later fight scenes between the two superpowered people is the exact same poo poo we've all seen a billion times by now and there is nothing at all interesting or engaging or different.

Just totally pointless...this movie in a nutshell. I feel like they kept wanting to have these impressive moments, like it opens with him capturing a bunch of bats with some weird trap he designed I guess but it isn't clear how the bats are caught (they're flying all around and past it), they act as if these bats will drain a person in minutes as if they're flying piranha or something but again, nothing happens. We just cut to "X" years before, then once we're back to "now" the dangerous bats are all living in a lit tube in the middle of a lab where they fly in a tornado like circle constantly. :psyduck:

I remember the character of Morbius from way back when but it wasn't something I read so for the most part it was an unknown, story wise. There are a couple cops who are, I guess, supposed to matter but never actually matter to anything happening in the movie. They show up here and there as an almost comic relief without the comedy.

Morbius, of course, had figured out a way to reverse the process and that's how he defeats his old friend. He had a second dose ready for himself but unless I missed an explanation, he just doesn't bother to reverse his own vampirism, instead heading off into the world, with hopes of a sequel.

It had two after credits scenes, apparently trying to tie in with Spiderman, Michael Keaton's Vulture shows up :spidey:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Tomb of Ligeia (1964)
Directed by Roger Corman

During a fox hunt, a woman goes astray and runs into a spooky looking man that scares her unconscious. This is the beginning of a beautiful romance. However, there are some strings attached. Vincent Price in all his glory is one of the lead characters here, and his voice just goes straight into your soul. This retelling of an Edgar Allan Poe story is unfortunately not the best. Or maybe the story itself just wasn't meant for the screen. I found myself half bored as the movie played out. It wasn't bad, but just barely tolerable. I think if Vincent Price had not been in this, it would have been rated lower.

3/5

Check out the US premiere for this movie. Price shows up in a hearse with a group of ghouls and girls.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/video/vincent-price-movie-premiere-the-tomb-of-ligeia-the-tomb-news-footage/827663174

Philthy fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 6, 2024

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
The Boy and The Heron (in English)

10/10, the pinnacle of Miyazaki's illustrious catalogue. I cut my teeth on Nausicaa and Porco Rosso as a child, was deeply affected by Mononoke and Spirited Away, watched Ponyo a dozen times with my daughter soaking up every little detail alongside her. So much of this film was an evolution of moments and themes from his other works. It's a modern fairy tale with dream logic, stunning and colourful animated fantasy worlds and a very moving story that both made me laugh and brought tears to my eyes.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Sixteen Candles (1984): B
It was a low bar to cross, but this movie did end up being better than Battleship. The theme of the 'little people' - the less popular, the freshman geeks, the immigrant (more about that in a moment) - having a chance at glory is a good one.

That being said, the "Long Duk Dong" stuff is embarrassingly racist. It's a bit shocking to me, though it shouldn't be, that there was this level of stereotyping in my lifetime. :yikeseroo: . That's not the only racial stereotype either; the groom's family is straight out of every stereotype of Italians that has ever existed. Some of the sexual politics, too, were...not great (e.g: Jake saying that he could take his prom queen girlfriend even though she's out-of-her-mind drunk).

But maybe that's nitpicking. At almost 40 and male, I'm really not the target for a movie like this. Little of Molly Ringwald's whining about her sixteenth birthday being forgotten hit with me too strongly (your parents are dealing with a wedding and three kids; cut them some slack). But despite some bumps in the road I thought it was a pretty enjoyable movie.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Under the Shadow (2016)
Directed by Babak Anvari

An Iranian woman and her daughter are taking shelter in their apartment in the middle of the Iran-Iraq War in the late 80s. The remaining kids talk about a djinn that haunts people in the apartment. It's all children's tales until it isn't. This was a pretty fantastic movie, it's more of a period piece of life in Iran during this time period, and we got to see how women are poorly treated, and how some of them rebelled. For the horror aspect, it's an incredibly slow burn, that does lead up to some great scenes towards the end. I was mostly captivated by the culture of the movie, but the horror aspect was a nice addition to a movie that could probably have stood on its own without it! However, the idea of setting a horror movie in Iran during this period is just bonkers to me, and I'm really glad someone did it!

3.5/5

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Battleship (2012): D
This movie is what happens when a six year old, hopped up on too much sugar, is inexplicably given a studio and millions of dollars to make a movie. The plot is full of so many cliches - loser who doesn't fit in but loves the muckety-muck's daughter (for some reason, this beautiful woman sees something in him) and is given a chance to Prove Himself; main character learns to appreciate his rival; embittered wounded veteran learns to live with his injury; etc - that you feel like someone rushed off a first draft from the first assignment of a creative writing class.

Then there's the utterly embarrassing and self-indulgent masturbation over the US military. Main character eventually loses his battleship to the alien invaders, so who does he decide to call on? Why, the battleship Missouri and WWII/Korea-era veterans, of course! Then there's an '80s style montage where the veterans show the young'uns a Thing Or Two and get the ship ready for combat. I mean....this is propaganda that would make North Korean state TV blush. I'm all for highlighting veterans and letting them be action heroes, but in this movie it almost comes across as condescending with the "America, gently caress yeah!" stuff. WWII/Korea veterans here are not veterans so much as set pieces.

I recorded Battleship off of the TV because I thought it would be a Rifftrax-style cheesefest, complete with a melodramatic "You sunk my battleship!" line. Instead I got an embarrassing, two hour long recruitment video with bad acting and hackneyed writing. It wasn't even funny bad; just bad. What a disappointment.

Next up is Sixteen Candles when I get around to it. Hopefully that will be more worth my time.

BATTLESHIP (2012) kicks rear end.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

BATTLESHIP (2012) kicks rear end.

This was a lot like Starship Troopers for me. Rolled my eyes at first, but then rewatching them they're good poo poo. Not in the 'u dont get it' kind of way, more that they're just super fun with some cool way over the top scenes that put a smile on your face. All the old dudes you see later on were actual vets, and one was from WW2 who served on the USS Missouri.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 7, 2024

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I thought the alien bombs/weapons looking like the board game pegs was an especially nice and hilarious touch.

It's a big dumb movie, but it recognizes it and relishes that fact.

I can't fault people for hating it, though.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Quite honestly, I'd have had more fun with Battleship if it weren't for the US military worship. Those scenes were like something from The Onion and turned me off big time. I don't mind stupid-fun movies at all (I'm a big fan of Star Trek V, for example).

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Insidious: Chapter 3
Directed by Leigh Whannell

A high school girl is trying to contact her deceased mother and something else is drawn to her instead. This is a popcorn horror flick. It's a movie that rides the line of being safe and enjoyable for pretty much anyone. It doesn't push the boundaries, and it keeps the movie interesting enough to not be boring. There isn't much dread going on, but there are plenty of okay creepy bits spaced enough through the entire movie that it'll keep you watching. Overall, it's just average which I think they were aiming for in the first place.

3/5

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Philthy posted:

This was a lot like Starship Troopers for me. Rolled my eyes at first, but then rewatching them they're good poo poo. Not in the 'u dont get it' kind of way, more that they're just super fun with some cool way over the top scenes that put a smile on your face. All the old dudes you see later on were actual vets, and one was from WW2 who served on the USS Missouri.

It takes the concepts of BATTLESHIP (board game, 1931) completely seriously and that's all you can ask for.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Wild Zero (1999)
Directed by Tetsuro Takeuchi

A Japanese rock and roll zombie love story adventure. If you like rock, punk, and a little bit of surf music mixed in with some budget store zombies with a romance that "has no borders, nationalities, or genders!" then you're probably gunna like this. It's a total B movie all the way through and has a few parts that drag, but it's mostly fun and the music is pretty great.

3/5

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Love Wild Zero, and they're trying to make a sequel
https://twitter.com/WILD_ZERO2/status/1764341910158876704

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Well, the timing for that is making me blink at my screen in wonder.

I may have to be a part of that.

Edit: Pledged. Not sure if it'll make it, but whatever.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 10, 2024

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Cult (2013)
Directed by Koji Shiraishi

Three Japanese actresses are hired to be part of a paranormal investigation TV show. As they investigate into a possessed mother and daughter, things may be much larger than they first appeared. A Japanese found footage documentary horror film. This was yet another fantastic movie from Koji Shiraishi. If you enjoy this genre, you would probably enjoy this one as well. The graphics aren't very high tech, but they're more than serviceable, and I think they might actually help the low budget he's using here. Totally enjoyed this one.

3.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Hitcher (1986)
Directed by Robert Harmon

"My mother told me to never do this!" The movie ramps up its intensity gradually, and keeps you interested the entire way. There were a few scenes that were over the top, but most of the movie was just incredibly tense and chaotic. Rutger Hauer steals the show here, along with a fantastic 80s synth filled backing track.

3.5/5

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Quite honestly, I'd have had more fun with Battleship if it weren't for the US military worship. Those scenes were like something from The Onion and turned me off big time. I don't mind stupid-fun movies at all (I'm a big fan of Star Trek V, for example).

Well, I mean, that's how you get those Pentagon subsidies and access to US military vehicles

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Labyrinth (1986)
dir. Jim Henson

A teenage girl meets a bunch of hosed up creatures while David Bowie sings the hits of 80s while wearing pants that accentuate his cock. A marvel of practical filmmaking on just about every level. A movie that's a joy to just look at and wonder how the gently caress they did it. Jim was really the best at what he did.

5/5

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
May December (4/5): This movie is like "the ick" being given physical form. It's very very well acted with a truly outstanding performance from Charles Melton, and great performances from both Julianne Moore and Natalie Portman.

I was very impressed with the depth of the screenplay, and how a monstrous character was given real depth and moments of tragic humanity in service of the overall themes of the devastating impact of generational trauma and the inescapable hell of trauma-led arrested development. It reminded me that it's always possible to understand horrific actions without condoning them.

I found the trajectory and arc of the Portman character very fascinating, a study of how far intensely dedicated method actors are willing to go and how much effort is it healthy to go to in order to attempt to humanise and understand a thoroughly damaged human being. My interpretation of the end of her character's arc and specifically the horrifying moment where she requested a 13-year-old actor with "sex appeal" to audition to be her co-star was that she was trying to get into the headspace of a grown woman who found a 13-year-old boy attractive, and while she managed to get 95% of the way to understanding Moore's character as a human being, and understanding why she is the way she is and why she did what she did, she will never be able to find any child attractive and was getting frustrated at this, convinced that she was missing something that would put the cap on her performance in the film.

I knocked off a point because I thought it was a little too long, and there were a couple of scenes that dragged on longer than they needed to. Still a very impressive movie worthy of its plaudits, that I don't believe I will ever watch again.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil
Directed by Paul Urkijo Alijo

Reading books used to be able to take you places where movies could not. Errementari shows you that is not always the case. A tale about a blacksmith that made a deal with the devil and found a way to beat the price of payment. Set in Spain 1843, a small town is visited by a government official looking for lost gold which leads them to the smithy. I absolutely enjoyed this movie, and I love where it went. The characters, costumes, effects, everything was pretty amazing. The story itself was cool as hell, also.

4/5

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

St. Elmo's Fire (1985): C
My feelings about this movie are similar to the hit pop song that was written for it: meh. The song is generic and very cliche in an '80s power ballad way, and I don't really care for it. Like the song, this movie is a fairly generic coming-of-age tale about yuppie, mostly unlikable (save for Ally Sheedy and "Wend") recent college grads who drink, gently caress, smoke and mostly drift through life. "St. Elmo's" in the title is simultaneously the bar that these characters frequented as undergrads and the mirage-like sailor's phenomenon of St. Elmo's fire....I guess. Seems like a contrived metaphor for 'recent college grads figuring out adult life' to me.

The sexual politics in this movie are gross in a way that can't fully be explained by "it was the 1980s". One character creeps after a woman he barely knows and blunders into her ski weekend with another guy. Another character has taken it completely for granted that one of the women will marry him....as he fucks around with every woman he meets. In general, all the women characters in this movie are taken for granted in one way or another, and I never get the sense at the end that this is resolved.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 13, 2024

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Double posting, but I found this excerpt from a David Denby review on Wikipedia, and it really sums up St. Elmo's Fire far better than I did:

quote:

St. Elmo's Fire isn't drama, it's gossip, and peculiarly early-adolescent gossip— a movie designed to be picked apart on the telephone. The turbidly self-important treatment of these vacuous college graduates, each one a 'type', is like a TV sitcom without jokes. St. Elmo's Fire is so depressing a portent of Hollywood's teen sycophancy because it not only devotes itself to stupid kids, it accepts their view of the world without any real criticism....The sole survivor of the general disaster is Ally Sheedy, who manages to make something charming out of the yup petulance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Grotesque (2009)
Directed by Koji Shiraishi

A torture porn flick. Lots and lots and lots of torture and gore. I'd still watch it over Creepshow 3 and Funny Games, but just barely.

1/5