Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Boy and the Heron
A masterpiece, Miyazaki wanted to make a bookend to a career showing that his writing and direction is timeless.
I hate to spoil movies but the film reminds me of Pans labyrinth and Baron Munchousen.
So engrossing I felt like I forgot to blink.
10/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

For point 1
I think it's excellent table setting for who, where, what.
I think he lets you have a sneak peek as to the fantastic, then a long break back to mundane just to let you forget it's coming
As for part 2
Yeah it's neat

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Broadcast Signal Intrusion is a waste of time and a waste of Chicago's cool history of pirate broadcasts
1waste/time

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 5, 2024

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

REBEL M0/(1)0N

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Philthy posted:

Sweet Home (1989)
Directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa

A TV crew is documenting a famous fresco painter, and they gain access to a mansion where this painter once lived hoping to find undocumented pieces of art. Long abandoned, and locked up because it was thought haunted, they begin to document what they find. It doesn't take long for things to get weird and spooky. This was a proper haunted house flick that was pretty good. The effects were decent, especially the ending. Apparently, there is an NES game that was developed side by side with the movie as it was being filmed, and it's well received.

3/5

Been meaning to see this, the team that made the game sought out to make a 3d sequel, botched it and ended up making Resident Evil out of it instead. Its weird mansion and Gothic puzzles are it's legacy

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Man this is what bums me out about live action Japan stuff. They don't put real money into it. Sweet Home has a bit of a legacy, it's from 1989 and only been on VHS and laserdisc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Philthy posted:

The Great Yokai War: Guardians (2021)
Directed by Takashi Miike

Two brothers must save Japan from a large creature crushing its way across the country. Along the way they meet yokai, which are all sorts of creatures in Japanese folklore. I was not expecting to watch a children's movie from the same director who did Ichi the Killer. This movie was really fun, and had so much going on you never got too bored. Hundreds of yokai, bone dragons, enraged gods, and more! The costume and practical effects were pretty amazing with so many amazing characters. The story itself has recognizable parts from other top tier childhood movies and makes for one huge epic adventure. I think as a kid I would have absolutely loved this.

3.5/5
Here's my review of all the yokai war movies before this Mike didn't make

Classic weird gems with great cinematography and practical effects pure fun
4/5