Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I have seen some great movies the last few months (Arrival, Nocturnal Animals, LA La Land) but nothing comes close to Moonlight . Easiest ten out of ten ever and quite possibly one of the most well made movies I've ever seen. The acting, the cinematography, the editing, the music...everything was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Moonlight (2016) dir. Barry Jenkins 9/10

Please :)

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Anatomy of a Murder is better than 12 Angry Men

It really is excellent. You can tell from his bit alone that George C Scott was going to be something special. Also I was super impressed to find out the judge in it was just that- an actual judge and not an actor. Thought he was fantastic.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Get Out 7/10

While this was certainly enjoyable I had expected more given the praise it's received. For a thriller/horror there was very little suspense and the comedy aspects, while good, seemed a little out of place at times. Was well shot, well acted, and was certainly a fun movie but I think it's a missed opportunity to have done something excellent with the idea. Felt like a weaker episode of Black Mirror and a less B version of The Invitation (which was another movie that could have been great with a few tweaks).

Don't Breathe 7.5/10

This movie had no right to be as good as it was. The dialogue was awful in places and the acting veered towards it too but drat, it really was some good entertainment. While many aspects were predictable it still had some great surprises and some genuinely hilarious moments.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Wind River: 2/5

I had expected good things but I actually thought this was poo poo. The script was bad, the characters were cardboard cutout (especially the rent-a-bad-dudes) and the ending credits part a forced emotional punch that felt completely out of place. If you want to watch a better thriller on a reservation go watch Thunderheart.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Blade Runner 2049 - 5/5

Just as Mad Max Fury Road did, this sequel builds upon and even improves on the world and the story of the originals. A complex and carefully constructed plot that feels very personal in contrast to the originals sterility kept me engaged the entire time. Great performances across the board, a powerful soundtrack, and an utter masterpiece visually. Possibly the best film of all time from a cinematography point of view.

And big :lol: in comparing it to the Tron sequel :psyduck:

Haven't seen Bladerunner 2049- still nervous about it as Bladerunner is one of my absolute favouites.

I do think the Tron sequel was criminally underrated though.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Blade Runner 2049 5/5

I don't think I've seen a better world since the original. Villenueve absolutely nailed the tone and Deakins is the best in the business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Sorry, lost track of time.

Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri - 70/100
This one didn't land for me, though I'm not fond of the director's work previously either so I'm not surprised. McDormand gives a fantastic performance within the confines of a film that is, frankly...kind of lame. 2016 was such a landmark year for films by black directors or films that explored black life in America, that I kind of expected more in 2017 from a film that seems to want to confront white racism with frankness. Unfortunately, we get tokens, or partially constructed characters, or brute force narrative turns where racism and misogyny are handwaived away with rural life being used as a scapegoat. This film bops around so loving much that you can't ever get a grasp on any single theme or tone. There are some other good performances buried here underneath all the posturing and moral equivalency.

[

Could not agree more. Thought it was an absolute mess.