Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

got any sevens posted:

Regarding Majorie Prime - have any movies (other than just a recording of a normal performance) been made specifically as stage plays, as if the viewer is in the audience? With dvd's now, maybe you could have an audiotrack with/without audience noises as well? You could still use a bit of editing since it's a movie, but try to film it mostly like a play, i.e. Hitchcock's Rope.

Powell and Pressburger's Tales of Hoffman and Greenaway's Baby of Macon come to mind, though they both play with the metatheatricals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The way Veronique ties all of its themes together is sublime. You're aware of this confluence of effects at all times but they're just complex enough to feel like this ethereal gauze over the whole movie, subtly influencing things. I can't think of another film like it that brings itself into such a cohesive whole.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

nerdman42 posted:

So it lives up to the sequel?

I'm sure it lives up to itself, yes.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Egbert Souse posted:

Nashville (1975, Robert Altman) - 3/5
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966, Mike Nichols) - 4/5

three??? four?!?!? why i oughta

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Anatomy of a Murder is better than 12 Angry Men

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Egbert Souse posted:

Faces (1968, John Cassevetes) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5

I had seen Shadows years ago in college and was impressed by the almost documentary-like nature of the film. After seeing several Pennebaker documentaries, it doesn't seem as much like something acted for the camera. Faces takes it further. I got the sense of being with these characters as an observer, almost to the point of fatigue. The characters are so fascinating to watch that plot doesn't matter. I want to know what's going to happen next. The last act is incredible, with one of the most harrowing scenes I've seen in a film, followed by a real gut punch of an ending. I'm really looking forward to diving into the rest of Cassevetes' work.

Faces has a certain brutal asceticism to it that makes it feel more like a terrifying diamond than his shaggier later films, but you always have that sense of being so totally, inescapably with the characters.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Adam Driver is great because he plays every character like he's in a comedy movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I love the original, Lothar and Frisch both give amazing performances and the theme of rich people being ritualistically tortured by spectres of the system they've created has only gotten more relevant.