Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Burning Sands just dropped on Netflix a day or so ago. It's a drama about a group of 5 young men going to a black college and trying to make it through hell week to join a frat. It's intense as heck, doesn't really go in any unexpected directions, but it's a well-done piece, and it seems to be pretty true to black culture while also taking a slow walk around some quotes by well-regarded black authors. I wouldn't mind going to a college like that, except the frats seem even more insufferable than they were on the college campuses I've lived on and studied within.

The scenes where the frat guys being forced to mean-mug were really good, and it helps to highlight why it's kind of an important thing for a lot of black men when they go through life feeling attacked from all sides. Also the dance and frat chants were rad as gently caress.

5/5

And yeah, I really, really liked Swiss Army Man, but it may be that it speaks more to people who understand the main character's mindset. I laughed out of control until I cried a few times, and I also cried a few times. The cross-dressing thing wasn't really about anything except a lonely crazy person trying to make up both roles in a relationship - just like he did with Daniel Radcliffe's character. The ending was really something, and I have a weakness for movies where, at the end you go, "hey wait, how much of that was real and how much of it was hallucination? Because there's no way in hell he could've managed that - unless.."

Now I wanna go watch it again. 5/5

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hat Thoughts posted:

What's the least overrated pretentious garbage movie you've ever seen?
Son of Rambow. 5/5

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Trainspotting 2 - 9/10

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I like that line from Bottom Liner.. I like DC characters more than Marvel but their movies do seem hit and miss. It's like Marvel Comics Universe is dadjoke characters but dads have jobs and can afford to make a franchise out of a turd (hellooo 10+ Superman movies, most of which were trash), while DC joints get picked up kind of pell-mell so they are super hit and miss even though the characters and writing are generally better.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
My problem with Marvel CU is that, at its heart it always felt like a bunch of old-rear end white guys in horn-rimmed glasses in the 50s were throwing poo poo at the wall and because they werre first, most of it stuck simply by virtue of lack of competition.. I mean look at The Frank Miller Batman, look at Watchmen, and then look at Marvel anything.. If it weren't for the X Men universe I could pretty much just ignore most of the MCU because it's mainly white male power fantasies which appropriate poo poo from minority cultures.

Then again, I grew up reading Dark Horse Comics so welp

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

got any sevens posted:

Transformer5:
It's like Bay has streamlined movie plots to a point of minimalism so he can focus on action more. I like it but I can't put a numerical value on it. Anthony Hopkins was great too, and the Cuba bits.
Seems like more movies this year have followed his trend of using cutouts instead of full characters. It's almost ultra-traditional, like marionette plays, but with modern contrivances.
I actually have a really hard time even figuring out what the gently caress is going on during a huge number of the action fight seuqnces between the robots in those movies, they're all just big grey snakey CGI blobs flipping all over the place, and often don't actually have either disparate enough ccolors, or bright enough colors, to figure out which is a bad guy and which is a good guy.

Then at the other end of the spectrum you've got truck-nutz.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Security - 6/10

Security stars Antonio Banderas, as a war vet on his first day at a new job working as a mall security guard. But when bad guys take out an FBI convoy with a key witness who takes shelter in his mall, he has to turn his motley crew of guards into a fighting force.

Basically, it's Home Alone: Lost in the Mall, except Banderas is Caulkin, and he has a wacky group of sidekicks, and in the end everyone learns a valuable lesson about life. There are huge plot holes and cobbled-together traps from the different stores in the mall. I'd watch this over Stephen Seagal an day.

edit: That said, it would've been a way cooler movie if the little girl had been running from a monster, or had been a trojan horse for a local group of cannibals or something.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 16, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Checkpoint (2017): 3/10

This movie is just gloriously awful on so many levels that it transcends and is great fun to watch. I mean they couldn't even write a summary that talks about what happens - the vet and the cop are never teamed up, and the sheriff never investigates anything unlike the teaser blurbs on both imdb and netflix.. I suspect the entire thing was written by a pro wrestler because there are so many plot holes and "wait, why did they do that?" moments, it even has a totally gratuitous scene where a dude throws himself on the only grenade in the entire movie (meanwhile in the same battle a black man fires a disposable LAW rocket launcher four or five times for no particular reason, and a little girl convinces the military to effectively invade a small farm in a small town on the eastern seaboard.)

Trailer:
https://g.co/kgs/jXbrst

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 1, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I want to know who thought up the Abe Lincoln civil war white house --> south carolina escape tunnel, and why the bad guys needed to take over a battleship to accomplish using that tunnel. I know underpants gnomes with better planning.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Residue: 7.5/10

This movie is a lot better than I expected. It's hokey and low budget and you realize that it's very self-aware and pokes fun of itself, sometimes in pretty sly ways such as the actor who played Max Headroom spends most of the movie as a Talking Head(less corpse), or having Cancer Man from the X-Files reprise his old role because why the hell not.

The main plot is something something there's this guy and he ends up reading this magic book that eats people or something, it's pretty confusing for most of the movie but ties together well, and the ending was refreshing in that I didn't expect it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
On the other hand The Wizard was a legit good movie about Super Mario Bros.