Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Would really like to hear some thoughts on these:

Immoral Tales (1973, Walerian Borowczyk) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
The Beast (1974, Walerian Borowczyk) [Blu-ray] - 2.5/5
Sorcerer (1977, William Friedkin) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
The Boy Friend (1971, Ken Russell) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Day of the Dead (1985): 9/10
I've seen this movie dozens of times since I was in my early teens and somehow it just never gets dull. Sometimes I'll throw it on in the background while working on something just to have some noise but as soon as the helicopter lands and Miguel starts hollering "HELLO?! IS ANYONE THERE?!" through the megaphone (a fantastically eerie scene) I'm fuckin' hooked in until the end. The effects are still disgustingly fantastic to this day.

It's very reminiscent of Stuart Gordon's films, I feel. Everyone is on this desperate knife edge for the whole thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

fat bossy gerbil posted:

The Fourth Kind (2009)

This movie mostly consists of Milla Jovovich and others “re-enacting” a “true story” with a few tiny bits of found footage thrown in to try and cash in on the Paranormal Activity craze of the time. This could have been unnerving as hell if they had taken some unknown actors and presented it as mostly found footage in a documentary about alleged alien abductions because the premise is absolutely perfect for it. But the movie as it is is a boring and ugly film that tries nothing new and still manages to fail at it.

2/5

They need to start giving instruction manuals with movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Carlo Rambaldi has got to be the most "right time, right place" dude in Hollywood ever, his absolutely bizarre aesthetic defined a surprising number of films.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They could stick the real Dwayne up there and nobody would know the difference.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I gotta say that's pretty funny, giving it as even a hand as possible and concluding it Merely Sucks. Everything else aside, it just sucks.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

Sad to report that Glass Onion stinks out loud

I'd love to hear more.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Her fantasy about her husband returning home and blowing up is one of the funnier punchlines in a movie from this year.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You know who does CB radio? Reviewbrah.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What's the deal there anyway? The popularity of long haul trucking can't possibly have originated with a dumb novelty song.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Philthy posted:

Dead of Night (1945)

A very old horror anthology. I have a huge love for old black and white movies. It starts off really interesting, and wraps up really nice. The stories in-between are just hit and miss. Some of them I've seen retold before elsewhere, and a few are just pulpy. Back in the day I'm sure this was amazing. One thing that I noticed about 36 minutes in during a mirror scene, the orchestra music sounds suspiciously similar to the Hellraiser theme? Or maybe Hellraiser 2 music. It gave me goosebumps and I swear I was waiting for Pinhead to appear. The music was done by the London Symphony Orchestra.

3/5

There's a pretty decent doc about Dead of Night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wZyhZ3eF_A

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love that they still literally teach the Cat People stalking scene as the classic example of a jump scare/tension editing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3vm7UgE0bg

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Really good Alicia Silverstone cameo too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Philthy posted:

Lake Mungo (2008)
Directed by Joel Anderson

This is a found footage documentary about a family that goes for a swim at a local park, and one of them goes missing. After the body is found, they begin to grieve in their own ways. Some of them begin to hear strange noises, have weird dreams, and see what might be their missing family member on video and images taken after their death. The mystery unravels as they find more clues from those around them.

This was a miss for me. It looked good, the acting was good, the entire vibe was good, but the story was just lacking. It doesn't really push any boundaries or expand on personal relationships beyond passing glimpses, so it remains very tame and ultimately uninteresting.

2.5/5

You're wrong but you'll understand that some day.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If they ever restore and screen SWEET HOME, I'm there, I've only ever seen it in horrendous quality.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Upsidads posted:

Man this is what bums me out about live action Japan stuff. They don't put real money into it. Sweet Home has a bit of a legacy, it's from 1989 and only been on VHS and laserdisc

Yeah, it's wild. Feels like if THE THING had only ever come out on VHS and was just known through reputation.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Battleship (2012): D
This movie is what happens when a six year old, hopped up on too much sugar, is inexplicably given a studio and millions of dollars to make a movie. The plot is full of so many cliches - loser who doesn't fit in but loves the muckety-muck's daughter (for some reason, this beautiful woman sees something in him) and is given a chance to Prove Himself; main character learns to appreciate his rival; embittered wounded veteran learns to live with his injury; etc - that you feel like someone rushed off a first draft from the first assignment of a creative writing class.

Then there's the utterly embarrassing and self-indulgent masturbation over the US military. Main character eventually loses his battleship to the alien invaders, so who does he decide to call on? Why, the battleship Missouri and WWII/Korea-era veterans, of course! Then there's an '80s style montage where the veterans show the young'uns a Thing Or Two and get the ship ready for combat. I mean....this is propaganda that would make North Korean state TV blush. I'm all for highlighting veterans and letting them be action heroes, but in this movie it almost comes across as condescending with the "America, gently caress yeah!" stuff. WWII/Korea veterans here are not veterans so much as set pieces.

I recorded Battleship off of the TV because I thought it would be a Rifftrax-style cheesefest, complete with a melodramatic "You sunk my battleship!" line. Instead I got an embarrassing, two hour long recruitment video with bad acting and hackneyed writing. It wasn't even funny bad; just bad. What a disappointment.

Next up is Sixteen Candles when I get around to it. Hopefully that will be more worth my time.

BATTLESHIP (2012) kicks rear end.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Philthy posted:

This was a lot like Starship Troopers for me. Rolled my eyes at first, but then rewatching them they're good poo poo. Not in the 'u dont get it' kind of way, more that they're just super fun with some cool way over the top scenes that put a smile on your face. All the old dudes you see later on were actual vets, and one was from WW2 who served on the USS Missouri.

It takes the concepts of BATTLESHIP (board game, 1931) completely seriously and that's all you can ask for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I've always thought the killer outfit with the trench knife from THE PROWLER was top shelf, only pillowcase Jason Vorhees is cooler.