Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

I just watched MORBIUS (2022) the other day, probably a :one:/10

Wish I hadn't but I had no idea how bad it would be. It is really not worth watching, the talented actors in it are wasted, Jared Harris for instance is a powerhouse in something like Chernobyl and what the hell was he doing in this? Adria Arjona is similarly wasted with the writing making her a cardboard cutout "love interest but not really". I was trying to figure out why she looked so familiar and imdb'd her to see she was in Andor which I had recently just rewatched so kinda annoyed with myself for not recognizing her but very annoyed that she had nothing to do in this movie. I would say Matt Smith was wasted but he at least got to play around as a bad guy and even though every single thing that happens in this movie is predictable, I think he had fun with it.

The writing in this movie is so amazingly poo poo. Imagine a wealthy person hiring some mercenaries to work security on a large tanker so your sciencey friend can work on a cure in international waters because of the ethical concerns of his work. Then the lead merc gets bored and wanders down to where the eggheads are doing science and mocks the female because "lol females can't be doctors lol" in the year of our lord 2022! Whoever heard of a female Doctor??!! :hurr: I mean, sure I've been paid to work security for you but instead I think I'll come down here and give the audience an excuse to not care about me getting killed and oh, all us security guys have submachineguns and rifles for some reason and this isn't all an excuse to have action shots for the trailer so people think this movie is an "action movie". The later fight scenes between the two superpowered people is the exact same poo poo we've all seen a billion times by now and there is nothing at all interesting or engaging or different.

Just totally pointless...this movie in a nutshell. I feel like they kept wanting to have these impressive moments, like it opens with him capturing a bunch of bats with some weird trap he designed I guess but it isn't clear how the bats are caught (they're flying all around and past it), they act as if these bats will drain a person in minutes as if they're flying piranha or something but again, nothing happens. We just cut to "X" years before, then once we're back to "now" the dangerous bats are all living in a lit tube in the middle of a lab where they fly in a tornado like circle constantly. :psyduck:

I remember the character of Morbius from way back when but it wasn't something I read so for the most part it was an unknown, story wise. There are a couple cops who are, I guess, supposed to matter but never actually matter to anything happening in the movie. They show up here and there as an almost comic relief without the comedy.

Morbius, of course, had figured out a way to reverse the process and that's how he defeats his old friend. He had a second dose ready for himself but unless I missed an explanation, he just doesn't bother to reverse his own vampirism, instead heading off into the world, with hopes of a sequel.

It had two after credits scenes, apparently trying to tie in with Spiderman, Michael Keaton's Vulture shows up :spidey:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

the Zone of Interest 2023

So I saw this on HBO/Max the other day and was a little, I don't know, confused by the blurb because I wasn't clear on the premise. I thought it was going to be some weird take on "good Nazis" or something so I wasn't actually going to watch it, however, last night I started it (figuring I'd watch some and get an idea of what it was like, go to bed and see the rest today if it held my interest). Instead I stayed up until 3 am to finish it because I was enthralled. Unexpectedly great, really fine performances.

This movie is incredibly powerful and moving. 10/10

...as an aside, I'm in a FB group of globe collectors and someone recently picked one up from Germany around this same time that actually has a "zone of interest" on it and that was the first time I'd ever heard the term, other than this movie. It's actually part of the reason I watched it, when I saw this before I assumed it was just the title they went with.