Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The Edge of Seventeen (2016) dir. Kelly Fremon Craig 7.5/10
Resident Evil (2002) dir. Paul W.S. Anderson 5/10
Moonlight (2016) dir. Barry Jenkins 9/10
We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011) dir. Lynne Ramsay 8/10
T2 Trainspotting (2017) dir. Danny Boyle 8.5/10
The Accountant (2016) dir. Gavin O'Connor 6/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Train to Busan (2016) dir. Sang-ho Yeon 8/10
Wolf Children (2012) dir. Mamoru Hosoda 8/10
Green Room (2015) dir. Jeremy Saulnier 8.5/10
The Fate of the Furious (2015) dir. F. Gary Gray 6.5/10
Get Out (2015) dir. Jordan Peele 8/10
Elle (2015) dir. Paul Verhoeven 7.5/10
Alien Covenant (2017) dir. Ridley Scott 7/10
Showgirls (1995) dir. Paul Verhoeven 7.5/10
Predator 2 (1990) dir. Stephen Hopkins 5.5/10
Split (2015) dir. M. Night Shyamalan 5/10
Predators (2010) dir. Nimrod Antal 6/10
The Intern (2015) dir. Nancy Meyers 7/10
Hope (2013) dir. Lee Joon-ik 8.5/10
War Machine (2017) dir. David Michod 8/10
Okja (2017) dir. Bong Joon Ho 8.5/10
Baby Driver (2017) dir. Edgar Wright 9/10

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Howzabout Split and Okja.

Split (2015) dir. M. Night Shyamalan 5/10
Firstly, I think this is a great premise, in terms of a man with many different personalities holding a group of girls hostage. There are a couple of genuinely unsettling scenes, but the only scene where I genuinely felt any tension was the very first scene in the car. After that, it was pretty clear that the girls didn't have much hope of escaping and that McAvoy was pretty in control of the whole situation of course, until McAcoy lets one of them live at the end. There needed to be a finer balance of push-pull tension and more hope of the girls being crafty and escaping.

The stuff with the psychologist as well was just terrible breaking of the "show, don't tell" rules and I think she should have been completely excised from the movie which should have stayed with McAvoy in the girls for maximum claustrophobia. Then we could come to realise things about McAvoy through the eyes of Anya Taylor-Joy as more of an audience surrogate.

I don't especially mind the twist that the film is in the same universe as Unbreakable however I wish the "supernatural" reveal was handled a bit better, there's no real tension to the reveal as it's clearly inevitable and explained away pretty early on in the film so that when it happens it's not scary or surprising.

In short, a few key choices could have made this movie a lot more tense, and without that tension, I can't recommend it in good conscience.

Okja (2017) dir. Bong Joon Ho 8.5/10

This might be a nine out ten but I took off an extra half point because I didn't think the third act was overall as strong as the first two, but that's more so because the first two acts are so exceptionally well done that the tail looks somewhat weak in comparison (in comparison to many other films, the bottom end is still drat great). It's just that it couldn't beat itself.

If you've liked Bong Joon-ho's other films you'll like this one. The performances are all on point as is the direction. I loved the scrappiness of the action scenes like when Mija breaks into the facility. It's completely emotionally gripping. A lot of people are going to talk about this in terms of the "don't eat animals" themes but, more interestingly it's a critique of corporate hegemony and I loved the little details that underscore this postmodern malaise like the girl selfie-videoing Okja running through the store. One of the best parts of this movie is showing the power dynamics and chaacter relationships on both the corporate side and the animal liberation side. Look, this is on Netflix, most of you have it, watch this thing!

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

It Comes at Night (2017) dir. Trey Edward Shults 8/10
Paths of Glory (1957) dir. Stanley Kubrick 10/10
Manchester by the Sea (2016) dir. Kenneth Lonergan 9/10
Dunkirk (2017) dir. Christopher Nolan 7.5/10
The Room (2003) dir. Tommy Wiseau 8/10
The Big Sick (2017) dir. Michael Showalter 8/10
The Silenced (2015) dir. Hae-young Lee 7/10
I'm happy to elaborate on the rest of these films as well but am electing to mention this one regardless because I feel like it's likely to go under the radar, and in particular because I've never been so frustrated by the good aspects of a movie being so wrapped up in something otherwise so underwhelming.

In particular, the good is that almost every shot of this movie is really well-crafted and interesting, the set-up is genuinely unnerving and disturbing, and the dynamic and chemistry between the two female leads (effectively a lesbian story without it ever being explicit/overt) is so good. However the pay-off to all the above is simultaneously over-the-top and generic (a rare combination...) and altogether dissatisfying and it really loses steam in the third Act in a way which taints the earlier parts as well. This is on Netflix so if you're looking for a Korean horror movie to watch on a lark I recommend this, but it's so irritating because the good (which I think is very, very good) is also mixed with trash; can't think of a movie in recent history I've wanted to be able to recommend more.
The Devil's Advocate (1997) dir. Taylor Hackford 7.5/10
When Harry Met Sally (1989) dir. Rob Reiner 8.5/10
Death Note (2017) dir. Adam Wingard 8/10

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Lethal Weapon (1987) dir. Richard Donner 7.5/10
The Firm (1993) dir. Sydney Pollack 6.5/10
It (2017) dir. Andres Muschietti 7.5/10
It (1990) dir. Tommy Lee Wallace 7/10
There are individual moments, particularly in the first half, which I'd actually say rival or are better than the recent film. The weaker parts, particularly a lot in the second half, drag it down though.
Mother! (2017) dir. Darren Aronofsky 8/10
Victoria and Abdul (2017) dir. Stephen Frears 7/10
Gerald's Game (2017) dir. Mike Flanagan 7.5/10
Blade Runner 2049 (2017) dir. Denis Villeneuve 9/10
John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017) dir. Chad Stahelski 7/10

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Mother! (2017) dir. Darren Aronofsky 8/10
I'm in some ways baffled that this film got a wide release, but I suppose the selling point of Jennifer Lawrence and Darren Aronofsky's goodwill from Black Swan went a long way into letting studios give mother! a shot.

If the multiple third-act walkouts and polarised audience reception are telling, it's unlikely this film will be a financial success. Though, if it is a commercial mistake for Hollywood, I'm glad its one they made, because this movie had a clarity of vision, and precision in each of its individual elements, that it is rare in mainstream cinema. It is a black comedy, horror, parable, and allegory; and these elements add, rather than take away from each other.

I'm recommending this film, and my mind keeps returning to it days after seeing it. Nonetheless, I don't think those audience members who walked out are necessarily "wrong" for doing so; they might not have gotten what I got out of it, or found it too confronting. I liked it, yet still found oppressive, overwhelming at points. But if you can endure it, this is a rich, worthwhile cinematic experience - one that I think will have a more positive legacy over time than its initial response mignt signal.

Blade Runner 2049 (2017) dir. Denis Villeneuve 9/10
In each of the last six years, we have had a film by Denis Villeneuve. More staggeringly, each of them have been quite good, if not brilliant. What a gift to cinema he has been. There simply isn't a director working within the confines of mainstream cinema today as on top of their game as Denis Villeneuve.

I'm a Ridley Scott apologist. Prometheus and the The Counselor are two of my favourite films of the last several years, Alien is easily in my top five of all time, and I can't think of many other directors who have as good an eye for production design as him. This was true of Blade Runner as well - it is a brilliant world - and yet, it's not a film that has ever particularly resonated with me (it's always been the final cut I've seen). It's a movie that I completely understand why it is considered a masterpiece; but I also understand why it got the frosty reception it did once upon a time. As such, I wasn't coming into this as a "super-fan" of the first film.

This film, however, resonated me completely; I was on the edge of my seat through the vast majority of it, despite its deliberate pace and length. Officer K's journey, the development he goes through and the changes in his mindset - is conveyed with complete clarity without ever being on-the-nose or forced.

It is one of the best-looking films ever, perhaps among the best sequels ever (certainly after this period of time), the casting is impeccable, it is never boring or dull, and it is at all times surprising, compelling, exact. I love that this film was made, I love that it exists.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

Death Note B-
UnFriended A
Gerald's Game B-

These please.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Free Fire (2016) dir. Ben Wheatley 6/10
The Disaster Artist (2017) dir. James Franco 7.5/10
Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) dir. Rian Johnson 9.5/10
I Love You, Daddy (2017) dir. Louis C.K 6.5/10

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Rick posted:

If you're anti-Wes Anderson, I don't think Isle of Dogs is going to change your mind, but it's a really pleasant movie that made me feel nice.
I'd like to see The Alien Factor remade with Zach Galifianakis in the lead, and it's just strange enough to be fun.
Avengers: Infinity War does a really nice job with Thanos, at least.
"Riveting" is an overused term in film review, but I was just completely engrossed by The VVitch. I guess the challenge is the dialogue but it's worth taking it on.

I like this style of quick reviews even though I'm not gonna follow it.

Borg McEnroe (2017) dir. Janus Metz 7.5/10
Columbus (2017) dir. Kogonada 9/10
Good Time (2017) dir. Safdie Bros 8.5/10
All the Money in the World (2017) dir. Ridley Scott 7/10
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri (2017) dir. Martin McDonagh 9/10
Darkest Hour (2017) dir. Joe Wright 6.5/10
The Florida Project (2017) dir. Sean Baker 9/10
Call Me By Your Name (2017) dir. Luca Guadagnino 9/10 Getting the cinematographer from Apichatpong Weerasethakul's Uncle Boonmee was such a good choice.
Paddington (2014) dir. Paul King 8.5/10 Will warm the coldest of hearts.
Samurai Cop (1991) dir. Amir Shervan 4/10 Would be completely unwatchable solo, but a fun watch with friends as a stunningly bad movie. Not like Troll 2 or The Room level though, there's classic "so-bad-it's-good" movies I'd watch before this one.
Clown (2014) dir. Jon Watts 8/10 Clown is way better than it has any right to be and the "Cloyne" scene with Peter Stormare is among the best scenes in the last decade of cinema. I was completely surprised by how good this turned out to be. I still haven't watched his Spiderman movie but I'm glad Jon Watts seems to be doing well for himself because from this movie, he seems like a fun and creative guy. I'll definitely check out Cop Car.
Creep (2014) dir. Patrick Brice 8/10 I was really unsettled after this one and I'm not easily freaked out by horror films, worthwhile watch but deeply uncomfortable.
Creep 2 (2017) dir. Patrick Brice 7.5/10 While it does some interesting things in it's own right, it can't match up with the shock of the first movie.
Six Degrees of Separation (1993) dir. Fred Schepsi 7/10 Just OK comedy-of-manners but great Will Smith performance.
The Cloverfield Paradox (2018) 6.5/10 I liked this more than a lot of other people but people's complaints are completely warranted. Though I certainly wasn't bored, it's easily the weakest of the three Cloverfield movies yet.
The Wailing (2016) dir. Hong-jin Na 8.5/10 This movie's great but don't expect to walk away satisfied. Worthwhile for fans of Korean cinema or horror.
Before I Wake (2016) dir. Mike Flanagan 5/10 Disappointing movie, really liked Hush and Gerald's Game by this director, has a few interesting moments but can't in good conscience recommend it.
Black Panther (2018) dir. Ryan Coogler 8/10
Mute (2018) dir. Duncan Jones 6/10 A baffling movie, unlike most so-so or bad movies this doesn't feel like someone failing to accomplish what they set out to achieve. This movie feels like it hits every single mark that Duncan Jones wanted it to, just that every single one of those marks is a terrible idea.
Annihilation (2018) dir. Alex Garland 8/10
The Belko Experiment (2016) dir. Greg McLean 6.5/10
The Untouchables (1987) dir. Brian De Palma 9/10 Style over substance, but oh what style it is.
Phantom Thread (2017) dir. Paul Thomas Anderson 9/10 This is the best film about romance I've seen in recent memory. That might make me sound cynical, because this absolutely an abusive relationship. At the same time, Anderson hits points that I think will ring true for many more than they're willing to admit.
A Bigger Splash (2015) dir. Luca Guadagnino 7.5/10 Quite good character study, I like this one more in retrospect than I did immediately after watching.
A Quiet Place (2018) dir. John Krasinski 4/10 An unfortunate movie, where it takes an interesting premise and then makes the blandest possible movie out of it. Just watch It Comes At Night instead.

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 2, 2018

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

No idea why I said it was Bong Joon Ho's cinematographer, I meant the guy who did Uncle Boonmee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Guardians of the Galaxy: vol 2 (2017) dir. James Gunn 7.5/10 A lot better than the first
Doctor Strange (2016) dir. Scott Derrickson 5.5/10
The Incredible Hulk (2008) dir. Louis Letterier 4/10
Thor: The Dark World (2013) dir. Alan Taylor 4/10
Thor: Ragnarok (2017) dir. Taiki Waititi 7/10
Ant-Man (2015) dir. Peyton Reed 6/10
The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016) dir. Anre Ovredal 7/10 The set up of this is better than the pay-off, but boy is it a tense set-up.
Incredibles 2 (2018) dir. Brad Bird 7.5/10
Hereditary (2018) dir. Ari Aster 9/10
Newness (2017) dir. Drake Doremus 8/10
Event Horizon (1997) dir. Paul WS Anderson 6/10
You Were Never Really Here (2017) dir. Lynne Ramsey 7/10
Game Night (2018) dir. John Francis Daley, Jonathan Goldstein 7.5/10
Kong: Skull Island (2016) dir. Jordan Vogt-Roberts 5/10
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (2015) dir. Christopher McQuarrie 9/10
Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) dir. Christopher McQuarrie 9.5/10
Happy Death Day (2017) dir. Christopher Landon 9/10
She's Gotta Have It (1986) dir. Spike Lee 9/10
Star Trek Beyond (2016) dir. Justin Lin 6.5/10
BlaKkKlansman (2018) dir. Spike Lee 9/10
Searching (2018) dir. Aneesh Chaganty 9/10
Cop Car (2015) dir. Jon Watts 7/10
A Simple Favour (2018) dir. Paul Feig 7/10
Lethal Weapon 2 (1989) dir. Richard Donner 7/10
The Last Boy Scout (1991) dir. Tony Scott 7/10
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) dir. Shane Black 7/10
The Predator (2018) dir. Shane Black 8/10
Terrifier (2016) dir. Damien Leone 8.5/10 Completely mean-spirited and completely horrifying with some surprising reversals.
Bad Times at the El Royale (2018) dir. Drew Goddard 8/10 Much better than the "wannnabe-Tarantino" I've heard some describe this as. Every scene involving the one-way mirrors is perfect.
Halloween II (1981) dir. Rick Rosenthal 4/10
Halloween (2018) dir. David Gordon Green 8/10
Bohemian Rhapsody (2018) dir. Bryan Singer and Dexter Fletcher 5/10
Widows (2018) dir. Steve McQueen 9/10
Sorry to Bother You (2018) dir. Boots Riley 9/10 More pro-union movies, please.
Creed II (2018) dir. Steven Caple Jr. 8.5/10 Quite effective and emotional
Jigsaw (2017) dir. The Spierig Brothers 3/10 I suppose getting rid of the grimey aesthetic of the previous Saw films for a cleaner look is a stylistic choice, but it doesn't really make the quality of the film any better. I expected more inventiveness from the minds behind Predestination and Daybreakers, two much better films.
Upgrade (2018) dir. Leigh Whannell 7.5/10
Bird Box (2018) dir. Susanne Bier 6/10 Worst use of a non-linear structure I've ever seen, but not completely ineffective in individual scenes.
Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse (2018) dir. Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman (2018) 8.5/10
A Star is Born (2018) dir. Bradley Cooper 7.5/10
Velvet Buzzsaw (2019) dir. Dan Gilroy 5/10 Not very compelling as either a satire or a horror.
If Beale St Could Talk (2018) dir. Barry Jenkins 9/10
Cold War (2018) dir. Pawel Pawlikowski 9/10
Us (2019) dir. Jordan Peele 8.5/10
Triple Frontier dir. JC Chandor 8/10
The Strangers: Prey at Night (2018) dir. Johannes Roberts 7/10
The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018) dir. Fede Alvarez 6.5/10

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 8, 2019