Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
-wrong place-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I feel like the difference is Marvel has its formula, and that can be limiting, but they have a smooth-ish line of production going. The problem that DC movies have had is that Warner Bros. theoretically gives the filmmakers more leeway, but with BvS they made big cuts for length and it got weird, and on Suicide Squad they panicked and tried to completely overhaul it and the movie ended up totally disjointed as a result.

Basically studios will never learn that the time to completely change a movie is before it's in the can, if ever.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Eegah is the rare movie where I can't tell what it's trying to be. It's not really an attempted horror film or a failed comedy, it's just sort of a movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Tron Legacy has the problem that its world feels weirdly underpopulated, and too much of the story seems to take place at Alan's digital beach house.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

Rating: Dislike (scale of Like/Indifferent/Dislike)

Capsule thoughts: Joss Whedon takes the Book of Revelations buildup from Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman and turns it into another flattened bit of nothing featuring lots of standing around. Losing Zack Snyder from the project was bad, but worse was what happened to all the women in Justice League without Deborah Snyder's influence on Zack's direction.

You're aware Snyder still shot most of the movie right? He wasn't replaced, he just wasn't around for reshoots. So it's more a hybrid.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
At this point the documentation is best taken with a lot of salt.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
There is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Mad Max 1 can be hard to take, since so much of it is building towards a horrifying thing happening- it's similar to a lot of revenge movies of the decade but not as sleazy as most.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Duel's still a little obscure but it's like the definitive good first feature: a tight simple story executed with limited resources but a poo poo ton of skill. Spielberg pretty much came in knowing how to do this.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Pretty much every review I've seen says the same thing. On paper the story of a guy sleazing his way into becoming the power behind the throne should be interesting but they just can't make it work as a movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Hail Caesar has its issues but the presentation of 1951 Hollywood is so good and I am such a mark for that poo poo. And it has some amazing individual bits (Clooney's scene relating all he learned from the Commies is hysterical.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Pretty much my take. Its worst sin is the narration that never lets an otherwise contemplative presentation breathe. Brad Pitt will be sitting silently in some vast, weird futuristic room and before you can appreciate it his inner voice goes "I am here because I have a difficult relationship with my father and that's the story of this movie."

I honestly have the feeling the narration was ordered in at some point in post production a la Blade Runner. The picture clearly doesn't need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The Catholic Church actually did ultimately give The Exorcist an OK because the powers of good win out in the end (as opposed to Rosemary’s Baby).