Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Fast X (2023)

I never imagined a series of car chases and explosions could be so dull. This movie colors within the lines so completely that I don't think it even colored to the edge of what it was supposed to fill in. I felt like I was on my 10th watching of the movie five minutes in. 0/5.

Also the wikipedia page contains this lovely quote from Brie Larson about agreeing to be in this movie: "I was scared of what would happen to me [by joining Fast & Furious]. But what I always come back to is, I have to live with myself in a way that nobody else has to. The choices I make, I have to live with, whether I regret them or not."

What a ringing endorsement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

The House on Haunted Hill (1999)

The first ten minutes of this movie set up a great premise. An old insane asylum where a sadistic doctor tortured his patients until they all burned to death is the setting for the birthday party of a woman whose husband does special effects and fake outs for horror entertainment. Geoffrey Rush delivers a very solid performance as the Vincent Price clone husband and Famke Jannsen does very well as his scheming wife. We see early that they positively hate each other and this setup doesn't ask a lot of us so we're willing to suspend disbelief and just sort of roll with it to get the movie started despite many obvious questions. We're along for the ride of this War of the Roses style drama about this interesting enough couple that put each other through hell constantly and are convinced the other is doing all the spooks just to screw with them. If they had kept that premise and focused on these characters or people who had any connection to them it could have been a much better movie. After the first ten minutes I found myself thinking huh, why did this get panned so hard? It doesn't seem that bad.

Yeah that all goes out the window after those first ten minutes when the movie forgets all of that and just turns into a series of very low budget effects and a completely wooden supporting cast that look forgivably unenthusiastic about being in the movie. I know this is...goddammit....twenty five years old now (gently caress) but it was not just the era it was made in, I mean, this came out the same year as The Matrix. The effects are just plain goofy and are supposed to be the really scary part as the human drama element is completely tossed out.

And that keeps going for another hour. Oof.

1/5