Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I also saw Wick 2 last night and thought it was entertaining as hell. I was really hoping that Cassius and John would team up to kill Santino before fighting their own battle, since mute girl was shaping up to be a badass. When Cassius was sent to the bench relatively early I was kind of disappointed. Then I was disappointed again when mute girl turned out to be a chump.. Overall I still give it a 4/5 for being a solid action movie. Maybe in part 3 they'll realize that sending wave after wave of goons to take this guy out is not a very effective strategy, but I kind of hope not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I didn't hate Valerian, but get ready for some really terribly done exposition. Like, during their return home at the start of the movie they get a history lesson on their home. It's their home! They should know all of these people and factions, except later on when the ones who didn't get mentioned pop up. Then there's another history lesson.

The action is decent and the visuals are pretty good though, so it's got that going for it. The story is actually not terrible either, it's just a little bit predictable since it's not really doing anything new.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I thought Lethal Weapon 4 was pretty good, personally. Although I think that was also at the point in my teens where I was super into martial arts movies and Jet Li specifically, so seeing him in it was cool. Overall the movie isn't as good as the first 3 but it's still solid and Jet Li is a stupendous badass as the villain. They really play up the "too old for this poo poo" angle which is kind of funny since nowadays it seems like older actors are turning (or returning) to action more and more and kicking more rear end than ever.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah it was pretty bad.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Bottom Liner posted:

Zombieland Double Tap 2/5 Woody is good but the movie as a whole doesn’t come close to recapturing the fun of the original, plus zombie fatigue is real.

I think I'd give it 3/5. I agree with all your points AND I think the movie was incredibly predictable, right up to and including the final thing in Babylon, but I actually kind of liked it as just a familiar comfort food kind of movie.

And yes Bill Murray gets some screen time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Ad Astra - Ugh. I don't need my sci-fi to beat you over the head with attempts at realism or anything like that, but man this movie just botched every single thing they could have possibly made cool. The way they show apparent gravity vs weightlessness is crazy inconsistent. Ship under thrust, no apparent gravity. Which I guess helps if you decide to catch a ride on a rocket that's in the middle of launching. And just the whole plan in general was ridiculous. "That much anti-matter could annihilate all life on Earth if it detonates! You know what? gently caress it, let's nuke it"

Brad Pitt's performance was alright though, I guess I'll give him that. It also had some nice visuals. In the end I feel pretty much the same about Ad Astra as I did with Gravity. Decent performances, nice to look at, but ultimately kind of crap.