Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Passengers is a bit of a curiosity. I wonder how many couples are turned off by the Science-Fiction label and how many Sci-Fi fans by the romance. The movie is quite unremarkable, which is a feat in itself when you consider how much effort went into it. The cast does a solid job, but I got the impression they put an action-actor in a role that would require a bit more nuances. Then again that character was a simpleton to begin with, so why bother. Lawrence is very solid, but the script is hardly a challenge and her lines are milquetoast as well as everyone else's. There is nothing standing out, every conversation is just so bland. When they introduced the barkeeper-android and its over-generalised tips on how to life your life, I wasn't quite sure whether this was irony or meant to be serious. Maybe a failed attempt, who knows. The ending reroutes the movie back to the male fantasy that it was to begin with and could be read as outright misogynistic, but its hard to hate a flick that is so shallow and unobtrusive, so for that it just gets rolling eyes and yawns. Really, this should have been a hobby-project, or aspiring director's first film rather than a big production, but here we are. Not bad, just a bit disappointing. Liked the ship though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

The Lunchbox (2013) is an Indian romance / drama about a lunchbox that happens to arrive at the wrong address. It's a wonderful movie and there is a lot to like here. I thought the idea of the "invisible auntie" was great and enjoyed the flawlessly performing actors. The streets of India feel very real and close to the viewer. The slow pace however turns it into a test of patience. I like slow, quiet movies, but this one feels like a short story was blown up to 1:40 hours. The thin plot simply is not enough to hold your attention the whole time, even tough I admit its slowness goes well with the theme of the movie. For me it was about 15 minutes too long, with too many redundant or too drawn-out scenes. If you could discover this late at night, in a half-asleep state it would be perfect to dive into the Indian streets (and their hidden romances) though.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 17, 2017

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Coraline was pretty formulaic:

1. Welcome to this strange new place, let's explore it along with the audience. Shame I do not like it and my parents do not have time for me (and won't buy me those gloves)
2. But! There is an easy way out. How delightful.
3. Oh no, the person providing me with the cheap thrills turns out to be evil. Let's fight her.
4. Now that I defeated the evil one everything is just wonderful. The end.

While the girl thought she saved her parents, in their own perception their hard work finally paid off and they eventually were able to provide their daughter with some material goods after all, which along with attention seem to be essential for leading a happy live. I thought that was a bit muddying the message as they reached their own goals in a different way from Coraline (by working, saving money and neglecting their daughter).

Movie was really well made and the heroine was not-annoying, but story-wise it just went through the motions. I guess I don't like the idea that there always has to be an adversary (even if you read this an internal struggle) that is absolutely evil and there is no hope of reconciliation or synthesis and only physical elimination to get rid of it. But its a tried and trusted formula. It did look good though.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Sightseers (2102) didn't work for me. It has strong scenes and a great performance by Alice Lowe, but as a story it leaves too many questions open. What motivates Chris? He comes across as a likeable if irritable good-natured person, but later later turns out to be dishonest and scheming. Why? I like the idea of a British Falling Down, basically a mean road-movie and this could have been it. Ah, well.