Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Philthy posted:

Hell House LLC

Found footage horror. I watched this last year and thought it was pretty good. I felt like I needed to rewatch it, and man, I think this went up from good to great. So many creepy moments, and I love the little details they throw at you throughout the entire movie. No real gore here, just pure dread. Thumbs up.

4/5
I watched this last night, I kinda enjoyed it and it deffo has creepy moments, but they raised the stakes too quickly imho so the constant need for escalation meant the scares got a bit stupid later on, and it sort of felt a bit like a satire. It's deffo worth watching though.

3/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Philthy posted:

The Menu (2022)

A horror dark comedy. A very prestigious chef has a restaurant on an island that most people would dream of being able to eat at. The main character, Margot, is invited along by her boyfriend for a once in a lifetime dinner. The island staff immediately give off weird vibes, and it only gets worse. A great concept with a lot of amusing bits. Finally, a movie that stars John Leguizamo in an appropriate role! It's not perfect, but it's definitely entertaining.

3.5/5
Thanks for this, your review piqued (peaked?) my interest so I gave it a shot and really liked it. Really funny characters and pretty much every one is fun to watch, although the fact the film makes it very clear that everyone is going to die quite early on sort of takes a bit of the sting out of the tension. A solid 3.5/5 though.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
The End we Start From (2023) - a couple have a baby right at the moment weeks/months of torrential rain floods their London house, and eventually most of the country. While society quickly begins to unravel, they manage to escape to the country, but safety there doesn't last long. The acting and script are fantastic, as is the score and much of the imagery and storytelling, and the film does a great job of building an atmosphere of dread - one that isn't ever relieved by a jump scare or a monster being revealed - the bad thing in this film can't be beaten and isn't going away. On the downside, it might be too slow paced for some, not an awful lot really happens, and the whole thing is a bit of a downer. Still recommended, though.

4/5

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
The Nature of the Beast (1995)
Lance Henriksen plays an office worker travelling across the desert who gets stuck with Eric Roberts, an entertainingly over the top sinister hitchhiker that he can't get rid of. Two men with a secret, a string of grizzly murders following closely behind, and a suitcase filled with a million dollars of mob money. It's extremely 90's and cheesy but well made, and the whole ride is pretty tense. The twist at the end, while predictable, doesn't really make any sense though - very little of the film makes any sense whatsoever in light of it

3/5

Midnight Pooptrain posted:

Was going to watch this right now but then I saw it was directed by that nonce Victor Salva. drat.
Really? Oh ffs. The film doesn't read any different knowing that, but it has sort of spoiled the experience.

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 28, 2024

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I love horror films, but Blair Witch is pretty much the only horror film I know of that actually keeps my attention to the end, and I love it for that.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Star Man posted:

Roger Ebert made the same observation in his review in 1999:

Despite the movie's success, I think most people are still hung up on the witch never being revealed and Heather's snot.
The fact you never get to see the witch is what makes it work, imho. The witch would probably never be as creepy or scary as being stranded in the woods not knowing wtf is loving with you.

If the fact you dont get to see the witch or the film ends with a 'gently caress you you're in the dark as much as Heather' ruins the film for you then I unironically feel bad for you.

Cat Hassler posted:

I saw this in the theater when it came out. I watched it again recently and what hit me wasn’t the supernatural stuff but the desperation about being lost, cold, hungry, scared, and turning on each other.
Literally nothing supernatural happens in the whole film (IIRC?) Everything can be explained by the them all becoming increasingly disoriented and angry with each other while a group of teenagers gently caress with them.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Blackbird (2022)
A 100% earnest film written, produced, financed and directed by Michael Flatley, the Irish tap dancer, also starring himself as what he imagines the coolest secret agent in the world would look like, like a real-life, unironic Decker. It's got Flatley in tilted Panama hats, tilted fedoras, tilted ivy caps, the obligatory 'dress shirt with undone bow tie'. It's got Flatley being the ultimate Gentleman, turning down sexual advances from women 1/4 his age, Flatley killing enormous bouncer dudes two foot taller than him with a single one-two combo, delivering lines like 'forgive me father for I have sinned...and I'm about to sin again' with such a swollen, red face and strained voice it's like he's admitting he's about to poo poo himself (this bit's even in the trailer). It's also got the legendary Eric Roberts being legendary in it, and lots of background characters visibly corpsing during serious scenes, so it's not all bad.

1/5 or 5/5 depending on what you're looking for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Dune: Part Two

Agree with most of this. The design of pretty much everything was incredible, the visuals, the audio, the music, everything. But did feel rushed, a bunch of ideas all flying by without any reflection, all these enormous events that could almost be entire films in themselves, but everyone takes them in their stride like its no big deal, then on to the next thing. I get it's kinda the nature of the beast when trying to adapt this book, but it's still a shame.

Also by the 34rd time one of the protagonists strode on screen with a bombastic swell of music it did start to feel a little bit silly. But still, a great ride.

4/5