Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FalsePriest
Oct 20, 2010

"hi im pyle shittenhouse" *plop* *plop* *plop* "oops i have shit in your house lol"
Just got a Filmstruck subscription over Christmas break and think it's just about the best thing I've ever done, way better than Hulu's wonky rear end Criterion channel.

Breathless - My first time seeing this and also my first Godard. I think I avoided for so long because I expected a "difficult" watch, but instead it was pretty breezy even with the whole cop killing plot point. It honestly felt a little timeless, the long scene with Michel and Patricia in her apartment sounded a lot like conversations I've had when I was in late teens/early twenties. Characters who maybe "love" each other but are actually just young and dumb and don't really understand, timeless.

I know it's known as a pretty revolutionary film within context, but I only set out to watch it as a movie and see whether it could be enjoyed and appreciated in 2016 with little to no knowledge of the inner workings of it or any extraneous details about jump cuts or being based on American films at the time.

8.5/10

The Immortal Story - I guess this is Welles' first color film and it is really beautiful. Clay sitting at the table with his visage repeated in the mirror next to him, Levinsky and Virginies conversation in the smoky courtyard, and the dark blood red and flower filled room where the climax hah takes place are all very striking. As well as the characterization, for a film that's only an hour long you get pretty deep into Virginie's character and motivation for initially turning down an offer from the man responsible for her family's downfall and her difficulty in following through as well as the sailer's tales of being alone on an island shipwrecked dreaming of his life if/when he ever gets rescued. I am also apparently deeply in love with Jeanne Moreau although that has no effect on the score.

8/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU