Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gonna rate the last two movies I saw, which were my first movies of the year

Blade (1998)

We used to be a country. We used to make movies. Used to be all you needed was Wesley Snipes saying one-liners while coating the walls with the blood of Vampire The Masquerades to make a good comic book movie. I'm Some Motherfuckers.

4/5

The Warriors (1979)

Some people will tell you America has a crime problem now, and I agree. The problem is that our criminals don't have fun themes and cool costumes anymore. If I got my car stolen by a Baseball Fury, it'd probably sting a lot less because those guys look badass. Anyway, my favorite part was when the Warriors, desperately running across New York for their lives with like 50k guys in hot pursuit, decided to take some time off to sexually harass some ladies. Priorities.

3.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Police Story (1985)

My experience with Jackie Chan's filmography is woefully lacking outside of like...Jackie Chan Adventures, so I figured the best place to start would be his commonly considered best movie. And man, it's so fuckin' good. Jackie Chan's main reputation is of course in his martial arts and stunt skills which are on full display here in a fashion that is only possible in mid-80s Hong Kong, but the man is also goddamn hilarious about it. It's so obvious that Jackie was a fan of Buster Keaton and decided to put that stuff up to 11. The opening raid on the drug den and the final battle in the mall are both just unparalleled feats of action cinema, with a finale so nice of course they had to show it thrice.

4/5

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

it's wild to see a scene of multiple stuntmen being sent to the hospital, followed immediately by a goofball scene of Jackie juggling 5 corded phones.

movies so great

And then eating an eraser while using two pencils as chopsticks

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ghouls.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It Follows Up

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Super weird that the director did a shot for shot remake of his own drat movie, down to filming it in the same house

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gori-Rider you motherf--*beeeeeep*

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Quite honestly, I'd have had more fun with Battleship if it weren't for the US military worship. Those scenes were like something from The Onion and turned me off big time. I don't mind stupid-fun movies at all (I'm a big fan of Star Trek V, for example).

Well, I mean, that's how you get those Pentagon subsidies and access to US military vehicles

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Labyrinth (1986)
dir. Jim Henson

A teenage girl meets a bunch of hosed up creatures while David Bowie sings the hits of 80s while wearing pants that accentuate his cock. A marvel of practical filmmaking on just about every level. A movie that's a joy to just look at and wonder how the gently caress they did it. Jim was really the best at what he did.

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There are two literal Nazis in the special thanks for the movie