Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Three Days of the Condor: tense, more realistic than most spy/conspiracy movies where he isnt a superhero, he methodically tries to put a couple vague clues together. Reminds me of The Conversation a bit. Cool (real) phone hacking too. 4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Captain Blood (1940?) - decent swashbuckling pirate movie, more focused on the characters than action, due to technical limitations of the time. Still holds up okay though if you like Errol Flynn stuff. 3/5. Would be 4/5 but they didnt end on a "steal a kiss" type of line that wouldve been perfect :(

Kim (1950?) - Errol is just a supporter in this one, it's about a boy getting mixed up in spy stuff in colonial India. Young Dean Stockwell was great and unrecognizable compared to later years. 4/5

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Just watched the '59 Ben Hur.

Pretty good but probably didn't need to be over 3 hours, and if you didn't already know about the Jesus story it'd be a bit more confusing.

I prefer Spartacus.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Regarding Majorie Prime - have any movies (other than just a recording of a normal performance) been made specifically as stage plays, as if the viewer is in the audience? With dvd's now, maybe you could have an audiotrack with/without audience noises as well? You could still use a bit of editing since it's a movie, but try to film it mostly like a play, i.e. Hitchcock's Rope.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I really appreciate the understated world building of The John Wickverse, even civilians don't freak out when people are bleeding out next to them.

also liked the homages to the paranoia of the matrix red dress scene and mirrors from Enter the Dragon.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 10, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Logan's Run: 3/4, great set design really helps it

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Lego Batman: jokes a mile-a-minute, like Hot Shots, they have tons of details referencing every previous Batman on screen (even the black/white shorts!), and it's basically another adventure in a kid's head, but without the fourth-wall breaking from the Lego movie. Good fun and some touching moments. 9/10 if you're a Bat-fan, probably a point or 2 lower if you're not.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Shoot Em Up - dumb and fun as hell with some inventive action and a terrific villain in Paul Giamatti.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Killer Elite ('75) "Is that an upper or a downer?"
"Downer"
"Maybe I outghta have one"

7/10, too much preaching at the end. But funny for having Paulie from Rocky basically as the same character

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Jane Wants a Boyfriend was good

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The Red Turtle: a man stranded on a desert island falls in love. It's a real pretty movie about life's ups and downs, told with only sound effects and a bit of music. I have no complaints! :) :)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Clearing out dvr before month ends...

Fantastic Planet 3/5, good visuals and story, too much padding.
Shane 5/5, probably the second-most influential western (behind Stagecoach), it's a great simple story that takes its time to unfold without ever being boring.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Belladonna of Sadness 5/5, I was rooting for satan. That last shot sure is odd though implying the french revolution was in part spurred by Jeanne's pact with Satan to overthrow the king coming true. Gorgeous visuals and a great soundtrack made every second worth watching, as long as you can handle an enormous amount of phallic imagery.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The Third Man, 4/5, great direction and performances, the murder mystery is good but not very exciting until the titular third man appears. The guitar soundtrack detracted from a couple scenes that would have been tenser without it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Rebel Without a Cause 4/4, had no idea what this was about and am glad. Just a solid teen drama in the 50's.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Lost City of Z: not sure what to say yet, just got out of it. It's fascinating and terrifying and gave me the wonderment of discovery but the hollowness of there always bring more to find. If the premise sounds interesting to you then check it out, it looks great on a big screen.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

GoldStandardConure posted:

How does it compare to Aguirre?

Haven't seen it but it's not as narratively vicious as that, since this is based on real life and the dude kept going back and just scratching the surface.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Free Fire: holy poo poo what an inventive and hilarious take on action gangster movies. Each character is unique and unfolds naturally, even the surroundings become a character, and the direction is clever. 9.5/10

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
King Arthur (2017) - 3/4. Entertaining while watching, had some interesting imagery and a few nice twists on the old legend, the guy-richie monologue/montage bits were hilarious, and jude law was very game. the main drags against it are the cgi-blur action and almost no women characters, and the half-dozen main allies couldve been pared down to about four to give each a bit more character time.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Saw the new Pirates movie, solid 3/5 blockbuster.

It was kind of odd how little tension there was for half of it, the plot moved along mostly straightforwardly, with only a couple little twists. They didnt waste screen time setting up sequels though, thankfully (compared to something like Fantastic Beasts, which I just rewatched yesterday and seemed to spend at least 10% of its runtime on stuff that will only pay off in sequels). The direction was also a slightly lower tier than Pirates 1 - it just didn't 'pop' with a sense of grandeur much. It was still good, just wasn't as good as I was hoping. Still, glad I saw it. Check it out if you have an afternoon to kill before something else comes out.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Wonder Woman is really solid, basically a more serious version of Captain America

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

glam rock hamhock posted:

That sounds bad though

I love the lighter cheerful tone of Cap too, but WW works well, it's not overly dour like i've heard BvS is

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

TychoCelchuuu posted:

okay y'all can shut up about comics now. Here's some movies I just saw, ratings out of 100:

Moonlight (2016) - 92
Everybody Wants Some!! (2016) - 82
John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017) - 78
Logan (2017) - 90
3 Godfathers (1948) - 76
Notorious (1946) - 83
The BFG (2016) - 60
Bridge of Spies (2015) - 86
Clifford (1994) - 60
Lincoln (2012) - 73
War Horse (2011) - 64
The Adventures of Tintin (2011) - 79
The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 (2011) - 80
War of the Worlds (2005) - 80

Clifford?

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/clifford-1994

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
[quote="Egbert Souse" post="""]
Multiple Maniacs - :stare:

[/quote]

This made me curious https://youtu.be/iCurxt0ULzk
Now i gotta see it

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Transformer5:
It's like Bay has streamlined movie plots to a point of minimalism so he can focus on action more. I like it but I can't put a numerical value on it. Anthony Hopkins was great too, and the Cuba bits.
Seems like more movies this year have followed his trend of using cutouts instead of full characters. It's almost ultra-traditional, like marionette plays, but with modern contrivances.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Spiderman Homecoming: actually pretty well done, fits its narrative well within a world where superheroes are normalized, might be the first costume movie where the shared universe thing is believable. 4/5

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Band-Aid: wow, this movie was real in a way you don't usually see. It was also really drat hysterical in parts, I saw it in a cute little artsy theater and we were all cracking up.
4/5

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai
4/5, really cool little story about old fashioned people facing a modernizing world

Atomic Blonde: 3/5, good fights and a twisting story thats like being a spy: you can't trust anyone

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
To Live and Die in LA
3/4? It was pretty unusual and cool but there were a few loose plot threads who shot the chinese guy? The fbi wouldnt shoot their own guy... but still a strong movie and great look

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Why so down on Searchers?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I think the racism was the point

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Logan Lucky: 3/4, script isnt as tight as Ocean's 11 but it has some nice distinct touches

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Aguirre, The Wrath of God
5/5, it was electrifying despite appearing subdued

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Ingrid Goes West 3/4, mostly how I expected but still drat good as a 20teens update of single white female, and sticks the landing. Cringey in the best way

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Why so down on Near Dark?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I like Freddy Got Fingered and Mario bros

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Kingsman 2: 4/5? It's weird but cool. the ending is more optimistic than me, thinking that the armed forced would actually administer the antidote, and that the prez would face consequences.
I regret that the point wasnt brought up that even if you killed all drug users today, more children born in the future would still turn to recreational drugs, also that agent whiskey thought there was a difference between alcohol users and users of other drugs. /Petpeeve

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Battle of the Sexes: 4/5, not the standard biopic, and more serious than the commercials led me to think, but really good. i also loved the fairy godfather, and how not everything was spelled out, felt more naturalistic, almost a bit documentary-ish at times

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I wonder if Homeward Bound holds up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Proyas makes dope films though.