Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The Foreigner: 3/4, pretty good serious dad action flick. Vein of "Walk Among the Tombstones".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Conrack: 4/5, more realistic than the fluffier manic pixie dream teacher films, the kids are great and so is the scenery, there just isnt a great conclusion (which is kind of the point, but still means its less pleasing than other movies).

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
From Noon til Three: 3/4? It's a revisionist western 15 years before Unforgiven. Good but weird.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Unfriended could also be an alternate title for Ingrid Goes West

Only the Brave (the hotshot firefighter one) - 4/4, drat good character drama that doesnt fall into tropes and feels real, plus the scenery is gorgeous.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Nightmare Before Christmas (rewatch) 4/4, still a really solid movie with a unique story. Looked gorgeous on a big screen, and whatbreally stands out is the active camera and character blocking.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The Mackintosh Man: 3/4, a low key but well-shot Bond-alike

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The Quest ('96) - 2/4. Fun but obviously not very good. Stereotypes galore in a lower budget cross between Mortal Kombat and Bloodsport. Decent direction by jcvd though.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Cat People ('82) - 3/4, keeps the tension up, you're afraid of them turning because of the people they'll hurt. Some great framing too at times, and it plays the topic fully seriously, a big plus for me

Burmese Harp 4/5, nice slow contemplative film; really awkward how the film never brings up what japan did in the war though

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Murder on Orient Express (2017) - 3/4, solidly made with a few moments that elevate to great

Pathfinder (2007) 3/5, could use some more lighting but a thin (but good) story told effectively, and karl urban is cool

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Killing of a Sacred Deer: 1/1, white people are banal and crazy. The mashed potatoes outburst said it all, really.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

How's your relationship with symbolism these days?

Cheeky :). I prefer to just do quick basic reviews here.

Blade of the Immortal: 4/4, live action anime but good and cool and not stupid.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Repo Man: 5/5, total commitment to its world, reminded me of Joe vs the Volcano that way. Recurring theme with Otto (auto) being the passenger, not sure what it means yet, (aside from the obvious).

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Robot ghidorah should be in more movies

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Three Billboards: 4/5, nice to have a film where most things arent so black and white and the ending gives you discussion fodder.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Free Fire is hardly discussed but it was very good. Atomic Blonde had a couple great action scenes between questionable spy plots

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The Best of Times (1986): 3/4

Varsity Blues by way of Rocky. The "ground rules" line is hilarious, btw. I'm surprised I never heard of this before, considering the costars.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Why didnt you like The Square? I heard good things

Coco (2017) 4/5, Pixar makes another great movie, ho-hum? I dont usually predict plot beats but i did during this one, it was still great though if formulaic

Howl's Moving Castle - 3/4, pretty drat good but didnt fully click for me.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Man Who Invented Christmas 4/5, great visual representation of the creative process, and made me weep several times. If you dont like the Christmas Carol story it might not touch you as much

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Explosion (2017, chinese) 3/5, decent midbudget action mystery about an innocent guy framed for a crime he didnt commit. The middle aged men chase in the middle is hilarious, the crying chinese grandpa song in the background really elevates it to melodrama :discourse:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Or if you're going to play a 20-minute xmas short, Mickey's Christmas Carol is already made and just chillin in the vault

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Daisy Winters - 3/4, simple story but well acted and pretty good script/direction. Unfortunately the director killed herself before she could see the final release :(

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Jane (2017): 4/4, beautiful and stirring, what most documentaries strive to be. One of several highlights was the chimp speech synced to the music.

Jane herself also really liked War for Planet of the Apes. http://variety.com/gallery/writers-on-writers-2017-variety/#!11/war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-8

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 9, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I still need to see The Act of Killing but i'm kinda scared to

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Interesting choices and good reviews, thanks :)

I saw The Disaster Artist yesterday, i liked the premiere scene it really works as an emotional climax, combining the emotions Tommy must've felt over ~5 years after release into the one night. Greg was right, showbiz is about entertainment, so even if you wanted to be serious, at least the audience is having a good time. Tommy was a total dick though, I hope he's calmed down more irl.
The movie doesnt get hung up on in-jokes so it's smooth watching on its own, but is enhanced if you've seen The Room. Good tone balance between the seriousness of baring your soul as an artist while acknowledging we're not all talented.
4/5

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
It's a Wonderful Life (35mm print!!) - 5/5, not just a great story that has a very realistic american town but also the framing, blocking, etc are great. Some details I never noticed before, like george tipping his hat to tip the cabbie on the wedding night, and the water lands on his hand. That must've taken some practice. Watching old 35mm is a treat too, it was in good condition but when the reels switched it might get a little lighter or darker, movie magic :squee:

If you're in seattle they're playing it at the grand illusion cinema most of the month i think.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Jumanji 2: jungle boogaloo

Pretty fun but a bit shallow and loaded with chekov's guns, as you couldve expected.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Greatest Showman: 3/5, simple but fun story, with some neat direction and choreography. Worst part was how obvious the dubbing was, its what takes me out of most musicals.

Shape of Water 4/5, drat good but just didnt fully click for me, but it was close

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 27, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
All the Money in the World 4/5, couldnt tell there were any issues fitting Plummer in at the last second, he was impeccable as a Scrooge. Michelle Williams was also pretty darn good. Not the typical hostage movie where everyone loses their sanity etc like that Mel Gibson one (which I still like) so its not as emotional

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Hostiles (2017)
3/4, i wanted to love it but only just liked it :(
Fits the melancholy theme i guess

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
"Th life and death of 9413: A Hollywood Extra" is a hell of a title

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Why so down on Vincent and Logan?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The Terminator (1984): A

Is the sequel worth watching?

One of the silliest questions in history. Watch T2 asap, then never see anything else related to the franchise

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Barry Lyndon - 3.5/4, saw 35mm last night. Very cheeky takedown of 1700's culture, almost like a greek tragedy where everything is fated to happen. Very cool, well acted, the candlelight scenes are so bright you wouldnt know it was so difficult to film them. Barely even felt the 3hr runtime too, but the music was a touch overpowering in a couple bits.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I'm curious what score you expected before watching it.

I saw Outland tonight, cool grungy space vibe like in Alien, and a surprisingly straightforward story with labor politics that are just as relevant today. The visuals are the main star but the sidekick doctor is second best :)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Oh for sure, plus there just arent many character moments. In mi1 Luthor drools over fancy new toys, in mi2 he's dressing fancy and dowsnt want to get dirty, but in mi6 everyone just gets right to business and almost never even voice a serious doubt, where they might hold up the plan. Their only doubts are filler chatter during action scenes.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Howard the Duck - better than I remember, it's in the top five of marvel movies, with iron man 3, Blade, cap murica 1, and Hulk. Great campy humor. The biggest issue is too much telling instead of showing, but a fair bit of that is intentional as part of a joke, like when the alien is monologuing about destroying earth while howard dgaf and is having a movie pie fight.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

I Before E posted:

Have you seen Punisher War Zone?

I have the dvd, ok that might push Howard to 6th

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

A Warm December (1973): B

Star Wars Holiday Special (1978, Rifftrax version):
A+ with the riffs; one of the funniest Rifftrax.
F without.

I had always thought that maybe Star Wars fans exaggerated about the Holiday Special. Then I saw it for myself, and....nope. Terrible. I can't imagine having to sit through that without the riffing. What in hell was up with Mark Hamill's makeup? He looked like he was in drag.

I'm guessing it was shortly after the accident?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FeastForCows posted:

Because it usually wouldn't spell certain death, no matter how bad you have it. That baby is a time bomb that screams instead of ticking.

Its a metaphor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Why so down on mission? I can guess why you didnt like crazy rich though.