Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I have a hard time believing any cheese in a Cronenberg film is unintentional. For all his dark subject matters, the man has a pretty goofy sense of humour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

Akira Kurosawa's Dreams - 4/5 [Blu-Ray]
The World of Apu - 5/5 [Blu-Ray]
Blood and Black Lace - 4.5/5 [TCM DVR]

If you please.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Tom and Jerry has always been fuckin trash.

The Cat Concerto is still great.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

Straw Dogs (1971, Sam Peckinpah) - 4.5/5 [Blu-ray]
Stop Making Sense (1984, Jonathan Demme) - 5/5 [Blu-ray - rewatch]
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984, Hayao Miyazaki) - 5/5 [Blu-ray - English dubbed]
Zaza (1923, Allan Dwan) - 3/5 [Blu-ray]
The Party (1968, Blake Edwards) - 4/5 [DVD - rewatch]

Hell, just give me all of them.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Tell me about Loving Vincent because I'm still mad no theatre around here shows it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

It's not like they're losing anything by pulling it. Anyone who wanted to see Coco because of the Frozen short already did so by now.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 5, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The action in Mad Max 2 is insane. That one shot of the cyclist flying straight at the camera might be the craziest stunt I've seen outside of a martial arts film.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

How did you expect it to end?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Despite supposedly being passionate about violence in media, filmmaker Haneke undermines his own arguments (which I think are valid) by tricking his audience into watching a lot of violence and then smugly taking them to task for sitting through the entire movie.

I think that's a perfectly valid take on the film, even though I personally disagree. What puzzles me is that you liked the first half so much, since it seemed to me like Haneke puts his cards on the table very early on and then just carries things through to their inevitably grim conclusion.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

W.R. Mysteries of the Organism (1971, Dušan Makavejev) [Filmstruck] - 2.5/5

Not a fan of sexy times, comrade?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Adam Driver being a good actor shouldn't be too surprising if you're familiar with the new Star Wars series where he's pretty much the only one giving a complex performance.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Whether you prefer Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz probably comes down to which one you saw first and whether you're more interested in horror or action films.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Leaner in what sense? Because one of the things I admire about Hot Fuzz is the incredible efficiency of its screenplay. There's not a single wasted scene in the film, every part comes with a clear payoff.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

FeastForCows posted:

- Why are you having a baby when you know it's probably gonna be the end of your whole family?

I've heard this complaint quite a few times, and it always baffles me. Aside from the event being consistent with the film's overall themes, living in extremely harrowing conditions has never stopped people from having children.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Zardoz is something else.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Does the full version change anything aside from Murphy's death scene?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

got any sevens posted:

A bit more seconds of gore in some other parts

Truly this will make all of the film's detractors re-evaluate their stance.

I Before E posted:

As a millennial who loves RoboCop, what version of RoboCop did you watch

A surprising number of people treat the ending of RoboCop like a happy ending.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've seen some utter hatred for American Honey online, I've got it to watch myself and quite intrigued as to if I'll like it.

I'm not too big on American Honey, but I can't imagine hating it unless the very sight of Shia LaBeouf sends you into a frothing rage.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

My biggest issue with Cold War is that the last act hinges on the idea that Wiktor is so enamored with Zula, he's willing to risk torture and lifelong imprisonment just for the small chance of being together with her again. It doesn't flow naturally from their previous encounters, which, if anything, show their relationship as superficial and self-destructive.

The folk dances were great though. I would have loved it if the entire film had focused solely on them.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I mean, they're in love enough to commit ritual suicide together so it all makes good sense to me :shrug:

That really only seems to confirm my point though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I do like how even the film itself stops caring about what's real or not in the end. All that matters is that it feels real.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

piratepilates posted:

The Ladykillers (2004): 7/10
The Ladykillers (1955): 6/10

I think you might be the first person I've met who prefers The Ladykillers remake to the original.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

AstroWhale posted:

Something the German article mentions is that, most actors were dubbed, to hinder identification with them (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distancing_effect :jerkbag:)
I did not like it very much, because of that. It is very difficult to relate to anything that is happening on screen.

I like Effi Briest, but even by Fassbinder's standards it is extremely Brechtian, and I can see how that would seem off-putting if you know him primarily from his more 'straightforward' melodramas.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Buñuel is the rare director who went through multiple different phases and received critical acclaim for pretty much all of them. You have the early surrealist phase in Spain. The Mexican work which cribs more heavily from neo-realism, the extremely scathing films he made upon his return to Spain, and the more goofy comedies from his later years in France. If you didn't care for L'Age D'or, maybe Los Olvidados or Viridiana will appeal to you more.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

Wheels on Meals (1985, Sammo Hung) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5

You better explain yourself for not giving this 5/5. :monocle:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

piratepilates posted:

:shrug: there were only like 3 german movies on the plane, one was 100 Dinge, another was Kalte Füße (which I saw half and didn't want to finish), and the third was probably good.

My hot take is that German cinema hasn't produced a great film since Fassbinder died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Eureka has done a fantastic blu-ray release of Wheels on Meals, but it's Region B only afaik.