Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Past month of films watched

Bourne Identity - 7/10
Bourne Supremacy - 7.5/10
The Great Dictator - 8/10
Manchester By The Sea 10/10
John Wick - 8/10
Kubo and the Two Strings - 7/10
The Last Unicorn - 9/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

York_M_Chan posted:

Really interested in your thoughts on this.

The Last Unicorn - Its a classic and you can immediately tell why. Every single background art is gorgeous and, while there's some rough edges here and there, the film keeps up this level of stunning visuals throughout. The image of the unicorns literally being the waves of the ocean is the most jaw-dropping and striking image of the entire movie. Its just incredible.

Most of the characters are pretty clearly motivated, from the witch hoping to make a quick buck and super duper accepting of her death at the hands of the harpy, the band of thieves just getting through the day, to Molly just wanting to hang out with cool magic creatures. And a lot of those side characters, like that drunk skeleton, are really memorable for that one scene they have. The only superfluous character I can think of is that stupid butterfly and even he provides necessary plot information. Christopher Lee does phenomenal with Haggard and the other voice actors do pretty well too.

The plot kind of revolves around immortality vs mortality and the way they emphasize all that is really well done. The witch and Schmendrik argue that immortality for humans is to be constantly remembered, which the harpy and the unicorn end up providing in different ways. Haggard is practically on the cusp of death and his only desire is to keep himself happy until the end, to the point of running the palace himself. But Schmendrik, Lir, and Molly are totally happy being mortal and Amalthea even begs to be kept mortal at one point.

Speaking of, thirty year old spoilers, but the entire "turned into a human" thing is MUCH more unnerving than I expected. At first I thought Amalthea was being overdramatic with her hatred for being human, but over the course of her stay she's constantly forgetting poo poo. One scene she can't remember where she is, in another she's forgotten Lir entirely. By the time Haggard confronts her and the big climax, she can't even seem to remember she was a unicorn at all. It seems like she was more drawn to Lir to bring some stability to her life more than anything. As miserable as it must be to be the only unicorn who knows human emotions and lost her love, the other option is being an identity-less woman who's memories only start at "I'm at this castle now". Its a rough deal either way.

All in all, it has some problems and weird moments (what's up with that tree), but on the whole its a great film.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

T2 Trainspotting (2017) dir. Danny Boyle 8.5/10

So it lives up to the sequel?

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Wonder Woman 8/10
Blackfish 7/10
Jesus Camp 6/10
Homebound 8/10
Tarzan 2 2/10
Tarzan and Jane 5/10
Spy Who Came In From the Cold 7/10
Alien 7/10
Primal Fear 6/10
Spider-Man: Homecoming 9/10
Tom and Jerry: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory 3/10
Tom and Jerry in the Wizard of Oz 1/10
Tom and Jerry: Back to Oz 7/10

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Egbert Souse posted:

I hope one who sits through three Tom & Jerry movies is doing it for the kids. Though, I'd see the Shining one. :haw:

Try a Tom and Jerry marathon with various drunk friends

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Its been at least thirty six hours I'm still baffled that Tom and Jerry: Back to Oz was genuinely decent. Maybe it was because I watched it immediately after two extremely garbage T&Js, but it's a huge step up. Tom and Jerry barely show up except to remind you "this is a Tom and Jerry movie, here's some slapstick", the Oz characters have personality instead of speedrunning through the first movies plot, there's a whole fun series of events of the Oz trio bumbling in Kansas trying to find Dorothy, Jason Alexander does a wacky villain. If you took out all the Tom and Jerry characters, it would legit be a great Oz movie.

Weird.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Silent Hill - 7/10

My Little Pony: The Movie - 6/10

The Purple Rose of Cairo - 9/10

Friday the 13th (1980) - 7/10

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Why not.

Silent Hill - Absolutely nails the atmosphere of the games. Characters make weird decisions, have bizarre conversations, and generally causes a sense of general discomfort in the audience. The ending, however,, kind of has everything go off the rails and its both hard to follow and frustrating to watch. Two thirds of it are a great time, but the final thirty minutes are full of so many baffling decisions it makes the journey harder to remember. That flashback goes on waaaay too long and really could've left some stuff to audience interpretation.

My Little Pony: The Movie - two weeks later and I'm struggling to remember anything memorable at all about this. The dialogue often feels like its mostly made up for trailers or exposition, with little bits of interesting things in the meantime. There's way too many characters they have to balance and its hard to keep track of them all. But all the kids in the theater were having a good time and I remember having fun, so its not the worst thing ever made.

Also some lady in front of me yelled "I'm gonna shove my fist down your loving throat" to the dude next to her during the credits, and that was certainly a good capper.

The Purple Rose of Cairo - God. I am not a Woody Allen fan and I still don't like the guy but jesus what a fun movie. Everything after the Tom Baxter looks at Mia Farrow's character through the screen is just so gut-busting. Every line delivers and I was in hysterics for almost all of the film. Its an utter romp and a concept that's gonna stick with me for a long time. My only major complaint is the ending, which 100% undermined where I thought the story was going. The whole point of the film seemed to be an ode to those 1930s era of movies, with some playful ribbing, but then it just goes loving downhill into a stupid "reality sucks" message. It was mean-spirited, cruel, and not at all in line with the tone of the film. I came up with a better moral in like seconds: reality sucks, but why not try to be like the movies? Have Gil and Mia Farrow's character try dating or something. Be nice to your goddamn female character, Woody. Even with all that, the journey is such a wild ride that it makes up for the frustration.

Friday the 13th - So like. My understanding of the franchise is entirely "Jason in the hockey mask goes and murders some teens". Perhaps because of that, the movie feels very slow and its only until the last half hour that anyone actually realizes something's gone wrong. Its a very slow journey and I felt some frustration with that at first. But in retrospect, this works the exact opposite way I felt about Silent Hill. Two thirds may be frustrating, but that last section. Holy poo poo The reveal of Mrs. Voorhes, I think, works way better after the franchise's success than it probably did at the time. I know the vague lore and as such, I was completely startled by her appearance. My mind goes into overdrive of like "is she covering for him? Has she been covering for him all this time?" But the truth is so much more interesting. Its like a reverse Psycho? Mom murdering for what she thinks her son would want, rather than the other way around with Norman. The twist makes the movie way more interesting than it has any right to be and I had a blast with that whole section. What a fun teen murder time.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Hmmmmmmmmm.... I guess by that logic, the Silent Hill twist would be Sharon doesn't exist/is already dead and the monsters are a production of Rose's guilt/delusions?

Which kinda works for Silent Hill.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Marvel movies are fun, but generally safe and formulaic. The only ones I remember particularly well are Cap 2 and the final scenes of Spidey.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Iron Man is about how war profiteering is bad and the film lost military funding because of it. Winter Soldier is about how America recruited Nazi scientists after World War II and how that might have helped us lead us to an overly-controlling government today. Thor 3 is about how if your nation is build on the success of destroying and dominating others, maybe its time to burn it all down.

They aren't perfect movies and they definitely aren't societal criticism, but I wouldn't call them pro-fascism.

Nerdietalk fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 25, 2017

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Everything I'm hearing about Last Jedi suggests that the die-hard purists hate it while the people who don't want the same movie every time like it a lot. Which sounds rad as hell.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Its a good point but the fact Disney and other big corporations own so much makes it a lot harder to avoid buying their products. Protesting a whole brand never really seems that effective to me because I'm probably gonna end up spending my money on some other business that they happen to own and not realize it until years later.

Aka there's no ethical consumption under capitalism etc etc

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Not when you live in Anaheim and your tax dollars go to their parking garage.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I mean, it's mainly about doing your best to be consciously ethical, you know. Having a personal code is work sometimes.

If it's free then I'm not going to raise hell over watching it, but I'm no longer supporting Disney at the box office (or letting friends support them on my behalf) with regard to Marvel, Star Wars, or Disney animation. This does not mean that I require myself to know about all of Disney's thousands of shell corporations and subsidiaries, because that's just a force of nature that's bigger than me.

Fair enough. That's a stance I can respect pretty easily

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well who the hell told you to live in Anaheim??

Mistakes were made.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The Disaster Artist - 4/5

Captures the feel of the book and wonderfully communicates the appeal of the Room to unfamiliar audiences. Conflating Tommy' s slow acceptance of the response to the Room over the years into premiere night was a particularly well done sequence. They play down a lot of Tommy's worst traits to make him more sympathetic, but the changes make sense and I got to watch my entire family make Wiseau impressions on the drive home. Finally, more Room references have a place in my life.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi 4.5/5

Still riding high, grade might change later. Larger opinions:

KILL YOUR GODS. NOSTALGIA IS A MISTAKE AND DEIFYING YOUR HEROES WILL ONLY CAUSE YOU SUFFERING. ONLY BY LETTING GO OF THE PAST AND TRYING THE NEW CAN YOU SUCCEED. KILL YOUR GODS.

The decision to center the conflict on Rey and Kylo learning to let go of their idols in different ways is loving brilliant. Rey learns to be a new jedi, not grounded in the past, but in the future. Kylo succeeds by killing his master, but obsesses over the rest of his heroes not meeting his standards. The Rebels get away because he couldn't handle the idea of Luke still living, daring to exist after failing to be the Great Legend Luke Skywalker. Because nostalgia doesn't meet reality, he (and the rest of the First Order trying to be the Empire) ultimately fail. Because they have the new, the Rebels are able to escape and inspire another generation of heroes. Its genius, brilliant at every step, and I totally get why it got such a split reaction from fans.

Kill your nerd gods kill your nerd gods KILL YOUR NERD GODS.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

TommyGun85 posted:

Some real fun gems; mostly mediocre action movies; the 3 Avengers films are horrendously bloated disasters of no consequence; Thor 2 and Ironman 2 were missteps.

Honestly I think the first two Captain America's are kinda compelling in how they exist pre and post the US military choosing to cease funding for the MCU. And I think Winter Soldier couldn't be made two years after its release, considering how safe Disney tries to play most of the franchise.

Absolutely correct opinions on the avengers movies, they're the WORST.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Ehhhh I still think Cap 2 has some good criticisms of America recruiting Nazis after World War II and how all forms of authoritarianism ultimately ally together to squash its own people.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Got drunk with some online friends for a few of these middle ones and I was still sobering up when I wrote the first reviews, so this might be a little fractured.

Ju-On: The Grudge

Asian horror hits a nerve that few other horror does. With more western horror, there tends to be certain rules to survive. Ways to outsmart the ghosts and monsters. In stuff like The Grudge? There's no escape. There's no rules. All of Japan becomes a wasteland. You just get hosed over and that's that. 10/10.

Cronos

please stop giving my grandpa blood!!! you are making him too strong. he broke out of the morgue and the cops cant get him. he's too powerful.

Utterly wonderfully chilling horrific film about life, death, and how people who don't even want immortality might get consumed by the desire for it. Total delight of a watch that made me sick to my stomach.

Dave Made a Maze

Dave builds a maze in the living room. His girlfriend Annie, enters the maze to pull him out. Its a much bigger maze than she thought.

One of my new favorite films. Its completely creative, surreal, and unlike anything I've ever seen. It doesn't waste its premise for a single second and always finds a new way to subvert your expectations. Its like a feature-length Community episode and all the better for it.

Bratz: Fashion Pixiez

Cannot explain the genuine fear that gripped my heart as a 25 year old when two Bratz heroines were brainwashed into being evil pixies. The power of friendship never turns them back to normal. When the other heroes try to use the power of friendship, the pixie!Bratz just toy with their feelings and manipulate them. I guess moral of the story is, don't trust like that.

Jammin in Jamaica

bro, what the gently caress is wrong with Barbie in this movie. I'm sorry your boyfriend has a hobby? and that his love of that hobby taking priority for a week means you have to dump him? grow up.

spontaneous combustion is a bop though.

Barbie as The Princess and the Pauper

great movie to laugh with friends during

Encanto

One of the first Disney movies I've actively enjoyed in years. Excellent character work, great music and direction, wonderful story of intergenerational trauma. A delight of a time.

Hilda and the Mountain King

There's nothing that quite captures the same vibe and aesthetic as Hilda. I've spent twenty minutes trying to explain the strengths of this movie but nothing does justice. Any speech I have about its incredible direction, stunning character work, immaculate vibes, and message of empathy just pales in comparison to how the show and film execute these ideas. Some of the best animation in cinema history.

The Suicide Squad

Superhero movie that's actively fun! Quickly won me over and made me actively care about characters like Polka Dot Man or Ratcatcher. John Cena and Idris Elba nail every emotional beat and show off their skill as actors easily. Peter Capaldi and Viola Davis glide through this film as great supporting cast. And its just great to see my man Starro getting his due. An easy, fun film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The_Other posted:

By contrast everything with Lee is great and you could tell he had a good time making the film. Also this film didn't really need to be a musical, although the best scene is probably Lee singing “Name Your Poison” near the end of the film (slightly NSFW, also watch with the captions to get all the puns).

2/5

I’ve never managed to finish Captain in one go, but I still find myself singing Name Your Poison on the regular. Absolute banger of a song that justifies the entire movie for me.