Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

York_M_Chan posted:

Yes I got the point, kinda hard to miss it when it is done with such a heavy hand. That being said, there are a lot of very influential films that really have to be seen in the time and place when they were made. Now this whole movie comes off like a lovely high school punk song or a student film.

If the message doesn't hold up, explain how in the sweet holy gently caress Donald J. Trump is the President and not Bernie Sanders.

e: to be more clear, for as long as there are right-wingers, making GBS threads on right-wingers will always have value.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

got any sevens posted:

Belladonna of Sadness 5/5, I was rooting for satan. That last shot sure is odd though implying the french revolution was in part spurred by Jeanne's pact with Satan to overthrow the king coming true. Gorgeous visuals and a great soundtrack made every second worth watching, as long as you can handle an enormous amount of phallic imagery.

Not the French Revolution specifically- Jeanne's pact with Satan ends up creating feminism, and this is portrayed as an unambiguously good thing.

I loving love that movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
To be fair, the main wrestler involved with that movie is Goldberg.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tailored Sauce posted:

Saw the The Florida Project and would definitely recommend it. A24 with another solid release. Same director as Tangerine if you enjoyed that. The story revolves around a little girl and other characters living in a cheap motel (Willem Dafoe plays the manager) just outside of Magic Kingdom. What I especially liked about this film is the way a lot of the shots were framed, really spot on in capturing the action happening during a scene. Cinematography was really nice too and the use of color during certain scenes helped convey some of the emotion/pain the characters were feeling. Overall, a great film.

The fact that the guy who made loving Greg the Bunny has taken a career left turn into artsy true-life dramedies is insanely goddamn strange and hilarious to me

e: also, I have Marcus Nispel on Facebook and I'm kind of tempted to let him know that people on the internet think he's Rob Zombie. :v: He's an insanely nice dude, though, and I'd feel bad.

(Alex Proyas is a loving dick who can go to hell, though, if anyone has any sick burns for him feel free to drop them)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

got any sevens posted:

Proyas makes dope films though.

That's why I added him, and then I immediately regretted it when he turned out to be pretty much a garbage rear end in a top hat from Hell. Seriously, dude has a loving ego, if he had more money he'd probably build a loving theme park and name it after himself and not let anyone else in Cartman-style.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So... does that mean you could make a perfect horror movie by taking the first two acts of Silent Hill, and bolting the last act of Friday the 13th on the end?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Gut feeling. I don't exactly believe in rating movies per se but I think the 100 pt scale just works in my brain. So in absence of a conversation about influence, impact, and pros/cons I usually rely on how I think it compares to the films I've seen in a single year, then how I think it compares to other films in its genre, how well it has aged (if it's an older film) and whether it influenced other films, and if I've seen it before I finally compare it to all movies I've ever seen. I don't think I've ever given a film a straight 100. Most of the time all this irrational headiness seems to add up to a discrete number in my head.

So films like Andrei Rublev, Pather Panchali, Vertigo, Days of Heaven, etc I've seen multiple/many times and reward multiple viewings as they have gotten better with age. Most movies that score 60-80 aren't a waste of time to me by any means but I'm unlikely to watch them multiple times.

Most things 87-100 I would consider among the best films I've seen.

What would Vertigo rank on your marvel scale

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bottom Liner posted:

Yes, the Marvel cinematic universe is overt political propaganda :rolleyes:

"Overt" is the only inaccurate word here. All art reflects the political values of its creators, whether intentionally or not, and the MCU mostly reflects the political values of a bunch of rich assholes.

e: I only say "mostly" because the Netflix series have largely taken an outright oppositional approach to the movies; Daredevil is about how devoting yourself to violence destroys your soul, Jessica Jones is an examination of rape culture through the lens of superheroes, Luke Cage is about black identity in the modern world and the pros and cons of working within the system vs. working to erode it, and The Punisher is about how the military-industrial complex is a meat grinder that turns our best and brightest into broken husks of who they used to be. It's actually sort of impressive how the Netflix series, Iron Fist and Defenders aside, have avoided all the political pitfalls of the MCU movies (though this largely requires them to ignore the movies aside from the barest minimum of lip service).

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 26, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I love John Wick, and I love Drive, but that is an absolute apples and oranges comparison. Like, I'm genuinely not sure what those movies even have in common aside from neon, electronic music (and not even the same kind), and a quiet criminal as the protagonist (and that's tenuous given that Wick is normal-person quiet and a hitman, whereas Driver is creepy quiet and a... driver)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, Robocop is a movie that really kind of lives or dies based on the cut you watch. The R-rated is a fun action movie, but the uncut is the real poo poo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Samuel Clemens posted:

Truly this will make all of the film's detractors re-evaluate their stance.

at least two of the film's best scenes sort of rely on that gore to work

without it, Murphy's death and the ED-209 boardroom scene are just kind of disturbing; with it, they're turned up to 11 enough that they read as blackly comedic

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SimonCat posted:

Murphy's death isn't comedic in either cut. It's more horrifying in the unrated cut, but it's not funny or played for comedy.

ehhhh

I'd say the OTT gore along with Boddicker's mannerisms turns it into a black comedy scene, and only one of those elements is there in the theatrical. like, the gore is so insane that it's kind of just cartoonish and not disturbing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The Lobster is a well-made movie but every reason mentioned in that review is a perfectly valid reason to hate it. It is a movie made primarily for one very weird person, who gives no fucks if anyone else likes it or not.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bottom Liner posted:

its cool and good to hate popular things :smug:

if these movies weren't directly responsible for Disney's expansion, they'd just be harmless fun. nobody would care. hell, I saw it that way until the ramifications of the Fox sale (and the fact that they're inevitably going to do the same thing to every studio they can get their paws on) really sank in. but they are responsible for that problem. they are the main source of income which Disney is using to devour the rest of the industry.

the MCU is the fuel that powers the engine that is destroying the medium we love. it's only a function of its popularity in the sense that, if it weren't popular, this horseshit wouldn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990) - B+

John Wick: Chapter 3: Parabellum (2019) - A