Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

got any sevens posted:

This made me curious https://youtu.be/iCurxt0ULzk
Now i gotta see it
So loving odd seeing that trailer as completely clear HD. To me this movie is a lovely 8mm transferred to VHS then copied a dozen times.

I suspect it's better that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Philthy posted:

Near Dark
I think this was the first use of coooool backlit bulletholes. I was gonna write “I wish Kathryn Bigelow directed more movies” then I hit Wikipedia and was reminded that she directed Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty, so uh…..

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Watch You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah (2023, Netflix)
4/5,
Kind of a fun little movie where Adam Sanlder's entire collection of female children play the rich children of a rich guy, and one of them is dealing with some difficult social stuff.

It feels quite real and it has children being played by children, which really changes the tone of a movie compared to if older kids were playing smaller kids. And given that it was Sander's actual kids, I could relax while watching in being pretty sure that no Dan Schneider types were in charge.

And Sarah Squirm loving kills it, I hope she shows up in later low-effort low-energy Sandler productions and wakes up the loving room.

Lisa Frankenstein, 2024
3/5
What an odd near-miss, I don't know if it was rescued or hosed by the studio/editing, but I'd bet it was one or the other.

It's 80s-style dead teen comedy, set in the 80s, with a nice appreciation of the female gaze and a realistic approach to menstruation, something that it has in common with ...Bat Mitvah. Some very nice shots/direction, with terrific use of closeups for a big screen production, and featured my sometimes favorite song, Head On. Was also disjointed and clinical and felt like a big hunk of the movie was simply missing, like it wandered off somewhere.

I looked for the original script online and couldn't find it, although Cody claimed it was written in the Covid era, which is crazy, it felt like it was on the shelf from around 2008.

Great performances all around, and I'm glad I saw it in the theater. I think about it more than a lot of better movies I've seen because it's just so damned odd.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The Matrix (1999)
Just got back from the 25th anniversary screening at Dolby Cinema.
9.5/10, which is bad because I’ve called it one of a few perfect films for a long time.

Bad:
This is the second time I’ve seen the Dolby Vision & Atmos remaster, and the presentation was terrible (for a Dolby Cinema). Audio was way below reference but more importantly only one projector was running, so it was too dark. I hate it that you can’t complain about these things until after the movie starts. Then you need to walk in front of everybody and interrupt other’s viewing and they probably can’t fix anything.

Battery plot point; has been said literally a million times but why not say battery AND processing.

Switch; that death was one of the most unforgettable in cinema history (“not like this”) but a little more time on the one character wearing white was needed (I’m aware of the trans subplot but don’t get it from what is on screen).

Trinity love subplot was way too Fifth Element, it needed Trinity’s feelings to be portrayed better earlier in the film.

It’s obvious that Carrie-Ann Moss was cast instead of e.g. Jennifer Tilly so that stunt dudes could sub in easier, but I’ve never noticed the number of Texas Switches in this movie before. They’re constant, and I know it’s a tribute that I never noticed before but drat.

Good:
Up there with Raiders as the two perfect adventure films, a level I wouldn’t even give to any Jackie Chan or John Woo movie simply because the lighting isn’t as good.

The theatrical re-release doesn’t have that lovely green grade on later DVDs.

I can’t believe how great the pacing is; right when it gets exhausting it slows down, right when I get restless the action starts.

Holy poo poo the action; so many practical effects that would require complete resets if anything went wrong. I’m in loving awe. How many times did they need to reset pillars in the lobby fight? What was involved in that, how long did it take? Also big lol at all the NY reloads, I forgot that.

Who came up with the LINKS along with the shells falling from the helicopter later minigun? I didn’t even know those existed the first time I saw this movie I needed to look it up!

It’s so clear that there were no accidents in this movie, every goddamn shot had something interesting that fit with established visual themes, even the loving doorknobs. And every fx shot was designed around the possible and worked, something that isn’t done consistently YET. Quite the contrast from the unfortunate sequels.

Honestly forgot about the terrifically done body horror elements.