Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Mandy - This movie was pretty awful. The acting was okay, the camerawork was okay, but the story was just stupid. They could have gone in some cool directions like making it go real deep into supernatural craziness but they didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Near Dark

What happens when you get a bunch of Aliens cast to become badass vampires? You get Near Dark. A roving vampire coven finds new blood and goes on a rampage. A great take on the genre. So much fun.

4/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Hell House LLC

Found footage horror. I watched this last year and thought it was pretty good. I felt like I needed to rewatch it, and man, I think this went up from good to great. So many creepy moments, and I love the little details they throw at you throughout the entire movie. No real gore here, just pure dread. Thumbs up.

4/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Hell House LLC II

Not nearly as good as the first. I'd probably even say this was kinda bad except it got me twice. It had parts that worked, while most of it didn't. There was also one actor who was just super awful.

Overall, just average.

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Creep (2014)

Dude. :stare: What did I just watch. Found footage movie, again. This one definitely lives up to the title. It's a short movie, but packs a punch. Unnerving, and fascinating at the same time. Like watching a car wreck in slow motion. Don't confuse this with the 2008 movie of the same name.

4/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

MacheteZombie posted:

Watch the sequel!

I was going to ask about that. I'll put it on my list!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Phantasm 2

A black 1971 Plymouth Barracuda goes on the prowl through the wastelands for the Tall Man. Some of its passengers decide they'll help out, and do a pretty good job all things considered. I liked this one more than the first. Corny, but fun. Lots of good fight scenes.

3.5/5

quote:

I watched this last night, I kinda enjoyed it and it deffo has creepy moments, but they raised the stakes too quickly imho so the constant need for escalation meant the scares got a bit stupid later on, and it sort of felt a bit like a satire. It's deffo worth watching though.

See, I remember thinking it was just kinda average/good when I saw it last year. I liked it enough, but didn't think it was great. Rewatching it this year I enjoyed it quite a bit more for whatever reason. I'm still binging horror non-stop, so maybe I was just more in the mood for it this time around.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 13, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Revenge (2018)

So, it's in the name. There are just gallons of blood. Lots of close ups of wounds. More blood. More wounds. Butts. More blood.

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Creep 2

Great follow-up! I was kind of worried about where they could go with this, and it all worked. It kept me guessing and glued to the screen the entire time.

4/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Medium

Thailand/South Korean found footage/documentary horror film. This was creepy as hell, with some pretty amazing scenes. Spirits and gods inhabit shamans, and a film crew is trying to document it. poo poo goes sideways, and it's all on film!

3.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Witch

I tried watching this last year and I didn't make it too far because it was just unnerving. I'm glad I gave it a second chance, as I completely enjoyed this. The time period and subject hit the spot.

4/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Calibre

This movie left me confused. A series of bad decisions leads to chaos and regret. It's very depressing. Nothing is wrong with it, the acting is fine, the cinematography is fine, everything's just... fine. It was ok?

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Fermat's Room

A good take on the escape room genre. A group of mathematicians are invited to a gathering to solve a problem. You won't believe what happens next.

3.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

When Evil Lurks

Wow. This was a trip. I wasn't sure what to expect. It lets you in and makes you wonder what type of horror movie this is. I don't want to give it away, because I feel like it was made for someone to go in blind. Great story.

4/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

You're the greatest pervert of all.

Ichi the Killer

This movie was cool as poo poo. I love Yakuza mob stuff, and you add in a bunch of psychotic insanity with some amazing style and music and it's a great flick. I'd probably rate this a 5 if it didn't have all the weird rapey stuff.

4.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Something in the Dirt

This was off to a good start. A couple of guys experience some weirdness, and they go full internet "i did my own research" trying to explain it. It's amusing at times; they work off each other really well. By the halfway point, it's worn off. I got tired of the endless theories. Bummer.

2.5/5

Philthy fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 23, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Thanksgiving

ChatGPT> Write a script in the vein of I Know What You Did Last Summer, but worse.

I am only giving this half a point because they used my favorite Misfits song during the ending credits. This movie was so lazy.

0.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Train to Busan

Holy crap. The first 2/3 of this movie was like watching the first 5 minutes of Dawn of the Dead remake. It was loving intense and didn't let up. Great group of characters, and the special effects were great.

4/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Changeling (1980)

Spooky haunted house whodunit. Pretty unique story. I dug it. I was wondering where all the smokers were right as the main character lit a cigarette.

3.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Friday the 13th Part 9: Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday

So.. I am guessing after Jason took Manhattan the film studio let the next guy do whatever he wanted because it couldn't possibly be as bad. It was close, but it had some entertaining moments. Jason becomes a body shifting demon, the Necronomicon makes a brief appearance, and even pulls some Evil Dead gags throughout. It's too bad they didn't go for full kooky evil dead comedy horror because it might have been pretty decent. Instead we get 2/3 of a movie watching Jason jump from person to person with not much happening at all. The final showdown was pretty cool, though.

2/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

X

This hit creepy on so many levels. It feels like any movie taking place in Texas in the 70s with a van is going to end up with creepy rear end murders. Superb ending.

4/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

anatomi posted:

Have you watched Pearl yet? If not, should be next on your list. Mia Goth is a marvel.

Not yet! These have been on my list for so long now. A buddy really enjoys them and mentioned a 3rd is supposed to be out "any day now".

Stegosnaurlax posted:

RedLetterMedia answered a few things regarding the director. Safe to say many 8-balls were harmed during the making of this movie.

Thanks! Definitely going to give this a watch. Stuff like this rules.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Pearl

Deep dive into insanity right here. Wow. I really enjoyed that this was mostly backstory with cracks showing through until the dam finally breaks. Such a totally different style than X, but it worked so well.

4.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Jason X

I haven't seen this since it was in the theater. The intro was loving cool as hell, the set up for the horny space kids finding him, and the ensuing badasses putting up a fight sometimes was fun to watch. The ending wasn't bad either. Decent budget to play with, decent special effects. It's tied up there for best of the series next to the original for me. If I had to choose or lose a limb, I'd go with the original.

4/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Night Stalker (1972)

A reporter investigates mysterious murders in Las Vegas. What he finds out, no one believes. Not even the police, even after seeing with their own eyes. A super fun, easy going made for TV movie from the 70s. Kolchak, the main character, is played by Darren McGavin who is great to watch. This movie oozes 70s. There is a certain charm about older movies like this that are just enjoyable. I don't know if it's nostalgia, or just the way they filmed back then. While looking for a gif, I noticed other gifs of the same character that weren't from this movie. Apparently, they made a follow-up movie on the major success of this movie called The Night Strangler. When they went to make a 3rd movie, they were told they wanted to make it into a 1974 TV series called Kolchak: The Night Stalker. 20 episodes were aired, and are rated quite high, however McGavin wasn't happy with the arrangements and eventually left. This series was apparently the inspiration for the X-Files that came years later.

3.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Midsommar

Let's join a cult!

I'm starting to see a pattern in how horror movies are shot with A24 being their production company. They don't really skimp, they go hard on the artistic shots, they put in a lot of low droney music with sharp stabs. The ones I've seen seem to have the same aesthetic to them. It's a good thing, because I like how they look, and the actual stories being told have been interesting. I'm sure they've got some stinkers out there, but I've not run across any yet. (Probably because my todo list are mostly from recommendations)

3.5/5

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 30, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Haunt (2019)

Had a lot of fun watching this one. I was kind of worried it might be your run of the mill slasher flick. But it sort of blended horror genres a bit and the ending was :madmax:. I wanted the main characters to die multiple times throughout, but despite that it was still engaging and cool and fun.

3.5/5

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 1, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Growing up with my dad in the late 70s and 80s who had a CB, they were used constantly. Truckers depended on them for knowing road closures, detours, rush hours, where cops are sitting, etc. They all used call signs, or handles. My dad was Albatross. I had one too, but hell if I can remember. I didn't get to talk to many much because swearing. CB culture kind of fell off in the early 90s.

Plus, they liked chatting with each other because driving for 10+ hours straight day after day you're going to lose your mind otherwise. I think Smokey 2 was my favorite growing up.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 2, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Dead of Night (1945)

A very old horror anthology. I have a huge love for old black and white movies. It starts off really interesting, and wraps up really nice. The stories in-between are just hit and miss. Some of them I've seen retold before elsewhere, and a few are just pulpy. Back in the day I'm sure this was amazing. One thing that I noticed about 36 minutes in during a mirror scene, the orchestra music sounds suspiciously similar to the Hellraiser theme? Or maybe Hellraiser 2 music. It gave me goosebumps and I swear I was waiting for Pinhead to appear. The music was done by the London Symphony Orchestra.

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Godzilla Minus One

I've only seen a handful of Godzilla movies, mostly all the older ones. This movie went real hard in just kicking Japan in the balls when they were already down. The overall story was pretty good, and very emotional. Glad I saw it in the theater, it was pretty full for a matinee! Special effects were drat good.

3.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Pontypool

The build up for this was amazing. I wanted the whole movie to be just that. Stephen King wrote a book similar to this and I didn't care for the premise, and I guess this was also a book written 10 years before Kings and I'm not sure I like the premise for that, either. But, the suspense here floored me. My jaw was on the floor. The characters and interactions were great.

3.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Cat People (1942)

A minimalist movie about a woman that fears she is a satanic cultist that can turn into a cat. She has a relationship and things become complicated. The scenes all looked great for not having a budget at the time, but the story just didn't grab me at all.

2.5/5

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's a pretty decent doc about Dead of Night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wZyhZ3eF_A

Thanks, checking this out now.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

M3GAN

Started off really great. She was creepy as hell, and they had a good time explaining the science and the effects on people and such. When it came time for her to "go nuts" the movie fell apart. She started making evil robot wirring noises and stompy sounds. This came off as the equivalent of adding a laugh track to a comedy flick.

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Southbound

Enjoyable anthology. Something strange is going on in the desert. It had a Lovecraftian vibe to it. No real stinkers, but none that I would consider great, either. I think my favorite was Jailbreak and the The Way Out / The Way In.

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Bitch rear end

Tony Todd (Candyman) introduces you to Hood Horror Movie Nights, and the film of the night is titled Bitch rear end. It's a typical slasher flick, which in all honesty, is corny as hell. Up until the halfway point I was determined to write this off as a pretty bad horror flick. However, it isn't lazy. It tries so loving hard to do some interesting things. Halfway through, it actually does. It's not saved completely, but I came away from this kind of charmed by it. A little. Maybe it was the backstory being filled in, which really gave it the life it really needed, or maybe it was because the acting, the torture, and the movie itself stepped it up a bit and tried to save itself.

One other thing to mention is they tried a lot of wild stuff with the filming. The main movie itself is, I think, in 2.35:1, but it goes into 16:9 for various effects, then even goes into 1.85:1 during a bit at the end. They use some crazy wide-angle lenses that have some serious distortion going on along the edges, and it looks pretty neat. They also overlay multiple camera angles during certain scenes. It's all very weird, but different.

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Kindred (1987)

I last saw this in the theater as a kid. I made my mother take me twice. I forgot what it was called for the longest time, and I finally just rewatched it. A monster movie that has some pretty freaking good special effects! The story isn't half bad, and it's fun to watch. It's not a forgotten great or anything, but it's good. I liked all the characters, and there is a crap ton of goop! Nostalgia bumping this half a point.

3.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Tomie Unlimited

Sometimes you just gotta embrace the weird. I'm as confused about what I just saw as the Canon camera with a Nikon branded camera strap. But it was fun!

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Skinamarink

Movie starts out pretty amazing, with overly surreal shots walking you through the movie up until the halfway point. Incredibly satisfying seeing so many cool shots one right after another. Bizarre things are continually happening as we go along. However, at the halfway point (Why is it *always* almost exactly halfway) the movie goes dark. Literally. 80% of the rest of the movie is just a black screen. Very little happens. No one is really talking anymore. We see an occasional flashlight turn on and back off again. It's frustrating because I was so incredibly into this movie up until the midway point and then I almost hated it for the rest of it. A very experimental movie that I felt captured the same unnerving house exploration aesthetic in the beginning of Lost Highway, and in some ways, better. Maybe they got bored and just "phoned" in the ending.

2.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Meatball Machine (2005)

Going into this you know it's going to be goofy. Japanese sci-fi monster horror. People being piloted like Gundams. Lots of goop! It's silly, and kinda fun, but also overstayed its welcome. I'm glad I saw it because it was different. Aside from the tentacle scene, that is. I'll put the sequel on my watchlist.

3/5

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Hell House LLC Origins: The Carmichael Manor

Wow, this was maybe as good as the first. I loved it. I would consider this a proper sequel that has great background lore tied into it while providing plenty of scares. The laptop scene is just bonkers. gently caress clowns forever.

4/5

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 12, 2023