Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Legend of Hell House

A 1970s haunted house mystery. Great cast, a nice spooky house, and minimal special effects. Overall, I found this pretty average. The story kind of fell flat towards the end, but everything was alright. Massive amounts of samples came from this movie for various Skinny Puppy songs. It was a trip to see where they all came from finally.

3/5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3xZjRBn3dg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Three... Extremes

A horror anthology by three Asian directors. All of them beautifully shot, absolutely no complaints there. The cast and acting were all incredible as well. The stories.. Yeah, it's fair to say all three were extreme. The first one "Dumplings" was almost too much, it hit on stuff that just grosses me out. The story was good, but man, that was hard to watch. The second short, "Cut", was a bit more traditional out of the three. However, it wasn't as interesting, but it wasn't terrible, either. The last one "Box" was another subject that just creeps me out in a bad way, nothing good about it. I'm not so sure I'd want to watch this movie again. There is a lot to enjoy, but most of it rubbed me the wrong way, which might be the entire point, but when you're doing it with taboo subjects I feel like that's kind of a cop out to get to that point. Probably one of the hardest movies to rate since I watched May.

2.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Head Count (2018)

A bunch of teens rent a house out in the desert to get blazed and go climb rocks. They tell spoOky stories around a campfire and something changes. A pretty fun flick that kept you wondering what and how things were happening. The characters were kind of relatable to me and it was enjoyable all the way till the end. No dull parts that seemed like filler. I liked it!

3.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Uncanny (2015)

I think I watched the wrong movie again. This is another AI person movie. Not really horror, maybe a little psychological, but much more tame than M3GAN and Ex Machina. This one doesn't really break down anywhere plot wise, so it's mostly a straight story that has a few turns. Interesting characters. You can kind of see where it's headed fairly early on, but it's still enjoyable.

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

You're Next (2011)

Wow, okay, this was pretty freaking cool. A family gathering is terrorized in their vacation home. Lots and lots of kills, and some pretty drat brutal. Probably one of the most memorable kills I've seen on my 99 movie binge so far. Heck yea this was a fun flick.

3.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Dead or Alive (1999)

I'm a sucker for Yakuza movies, and it looks like Takashi Miike has plenty of them to offer! The intro to this movie is flipping great. A punkish riot of various Tokyo underworld scenes leads you into the story. What continues is a smaller gang pulling off heists and trying to stay off the Yakuza's radar. The police get between them. Meanwhile people die. It's very very toned down compared to something like Ichi the Killer, and it's a more stylized straight up mobster movie. It has a few what the actual gently caress moments for sure, but it's mostly just a cool looking Yakuza flick. Not so much horror here, with a few off the chart exceptions. The ending is still making me laugh. I love it.

3.5/5

One thing I found interesting is the cop using a flip phone in 1999, who is later made fun of by his daughter for using such an outdated phone. I had to look up if this movie really was made in 1999 or not. The flip phone being used in the movie was a Motorola StarTAC which came out in freaking 1996! In Japan all of this was normal for families back then, while the rest of the world walked around with their pagers. Crazy.

The Perfect Element posted:

Just chiming in to say that you're doing God's work watching all these movies and posting about them, Phil. I love it, and I love you.

Thanks!

Philthy fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 17, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Re-Animator (1985)

A story about love, and how some people will do whatever it takes. This is one I missed growing up in the 80s. Neurosurgeons argue about how long brains can live after the body dies. A young upstart, Herbert West, has found a way to bring people back after they've died. He's determined to perfect it so that everyone can become immortal. His rival, a noted professor at the Miskatonic University, has other plans and they argue constantly and the movie gets really weird. Overall, it's pretty fun, and the final act blows through their special effects budget.

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Perfect Blue

I was absolutely not in the right mindset for this movie. What a mindfuck! I’m still processing a lot of this, but I dug it quite a bit. A J-pop idol star decides to try and become an actress. She has doubts about her change shortly after, and an internal struggle begins. Her problems get worse as some of her fan base also become upset. We go down a rabbit hole that would put a smile on David Lynch’s face.

3.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Krampus (2015)

A more light hearted Christmas horror movie with some humor added. You get a good dose of the Griswald's Christmas Vacation pretty early on that eventually leads into a whole lot of bickering, then things go dark and spooky. Some great creature design that reminds me of Legend (Tom Cruise's best movie) mixed with a little bit of Poltergeist. No real gore here, it's more of a family movie and it was pretty fun to watch with no filler. I enjoyed it!

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale

This was a weird one. Unique for sure, and pretty amusing at times. Lots of naked old man dong.

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
She should try living life one quarter mile at a time.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Dead or Alive 2: Birds

What a change up from the first movie. This is another Yakuza movie, but it's more about friends growing up together and reuniting and enjoying life. The first movie had some of this, but not quite to this level, the Yakuza element becomes secondary. While it has plenty of violence, there is nothing really extreme here. I'd say it barely edges out the first one overall. I am really really enjoying these. I have a feeling I will revisit these sooner rather than later. I am starting to understand why Miike has a following.

3.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Day of the Beast (1995)

What a treat this was! A dark comedy about a priest who finds out the antichrist will be born on Christmas day. The only way to stop the world from ending is to become evil himself, and fool Satan. This movie is funny as poo poo, and borderline slapstick at times. What a gem. Also, since it is a European Christmas horror movie, there is old man dong.

This is "El Día de la bestia" on Tubi.

3.5/5

Philthy fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 22, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Psycho Santa (2003)

We're going b-movie horror. A guy in a Santa outfit and a machete likes to kill people. I'm pretty sure the entire point of this movie was to convince his female friends to get naked. You can hear the camera creaking in multiple scenes. Everything is overexposed. The music is so loud you can't hear the 5 lines of dialogue. But yet, it's still better than Creepshow 3.

1.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Dead or Alive: Final

The final film in the series. This one takes place in a very yellow dystopian future. The story is somewhat interesting, and it has a few cool fight scenes, but doesn't really feel on the same level as the previous two. This one feels lower budget, rushed, less artsy. However, the ending doesn't disappoint.

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Nope! It's on my list, though! I've been looking forward to watching it!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Lodge (2019)

This is definitely one of the grimmest movies I've seen lately. A man who wants no part in a father of the year award leaves his two kids alone with his girlfriend at a lodge over Christmas so they can bond better as he plans to propose and marry her shortly afterwards. Saying things do not go as planned would be an understatement. Yikes.

3.5/5

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 24, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Home Alone

Surprisingly, I had never seen this all the way through until tonight. I grew up a little too old to see this when it came out, and A Christmas Story was played non-stop at all the family Christmas gatherings. My wife enjoyed it growing up, so we got to sit down and watch it today before the real holiday horror show begins. It was about what I expected. However, the bit with the tar and nail was pretty hardcore. We later find out he had access to call the police at any time, but he waited to torture them half to death before he bothered. Chuckled a bit.

3.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Violent Night (2022)

I was having a hard time understanding why this was labeled partly horror, until it went off the rails with a pissed off Santa. The timing for me having seen Home Alone is also perfect as it makes an appearance here, dialed to 11. This has some amazing kills. Incredibly brutal. The movie is about a rich family who is being robbed by a mercenary crew, and a dude in a Santa suit decides to help out. Part Die Hard, part You're Next, part corny as all gently caress, and part amazing violent deaths everywhere. With a lot of laughs in-between. This was pretty good. I'd easily rate this higher if they cut the parts that dragged, and the super-duper corny bits. What a ride, though.

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Black Christmas (1974)

Slasher movie done in the 70s. A sorority house receives harassing phone calls and people begin to go missing one by one. The creepy rear end phone calls were absolutely disturbing. Lots and lots of cool looking shots. One thing that stood out the most to me in this movie was the Foley artists being top notch throughout.

3.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Death Note (2006)

The first of several live action adaptations of the Death Note manga series from Japan. I am unsure how faithful it was to the manga since it's been so long, but I did see this when it originally came out and really enjoyed it. Rewatching this, it was still incredibly fun. The twists and turns are great. The CGI demon is serviceable. And the music during the credits is a what the gently caress. Do not watch the Netflix remake, it is poop.

3.5/5

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 27, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Death Note 2: The Last Name (2006)

This is technically the second and final part of the series, I guess. We find another death note in play, which complicates things for both Kira and L. The number of twists had to have broken some brains along the way to put this on paper and on film, because drat. I'd put this one a notch below the first, because some of the acting seemed out of place and over the top which became distracting a few times. Overall, it was enjoyable to rewatch these again so many years later. They hold up. The story is still incredibly unique.

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Yakuza Apocalypse

I have no idea what is going on. The characters have no idea what's going on. No one has any idea what is going on. This is one of those movies you just have to embrace the weird and go with it. You can try and make some sense out of this, and you might get pretty far, but then things happen. Strange things. Hilarious things. Kickass things. And it all looks pretty good throughout. I am completely enjoying these really off the wall movies.

3.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah. I had to dig for a version with the subs in the proper place, and then I was second guessing if the subs were even correct at times.

It's showing as on Tubi now. Literally the day I watched it, but it wasn't there earlier in the day. How does a service add new movies on the 28th of December? What the gently caress.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Malignant (2021)

This was pretty drat awesome. A woman begins to see through the eyes of a murderer who is seeking revenge for being experimented on as a child. Fantastic budget that was used extremely well provides some really cool freaking shots and visual effects. The first half of the movie has some great scares as it's building up, and the second half doesn't play around at all. You can put away your thinking cap for this one and just enjoy the ride.

3.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Passenger (2023)

A psychological drama that was somehow billed as a horror thriller? I'm not going to complain too much because this was a very good movie despite expecting one thing and getting something completely different. While there is definitely some horrific moments by pretty much everyone's standards, I find it hard to define this movie because of it. Two coworkers start their shift, and one has a mental break which leads to a lot of bad decisions. The interactions between both actors are phenomenal, and it just kept me enthralled. The movie is very tense, unsettling, and also very sad.

3.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Suitable Flesh

This started out really well with a great Lovecraftian premise. It also had a pretty solid ending. However, everything in the middle feels like it was total filler, which consisted of body swapping horny. It was a bore, and tiring to watch. The ending payoff wasn't great enough to be worthwhile. It did have a fantastic top 10 kill scene that I hadn't seen anywhere else yet!

2.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Last Night in Soho

A fashion designer heads to London to go to college. While there, she ends up having dreams of someone else's life in the 60s. She becomes obsessed with what will happen every night she dreams. Things begin to become clear that not everything is happy go lucky. A very slow burn which leads into quite a payoff. The entire cast was pretty fantastic, this movie was a joy to watch as all the scenery, costumes, and overall style was top notch. Anya Taylor-Joy is also one of those people I can just stare at forever. Overall, a great psychological horror.

4/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Dead Heat (1988)

Joe Piscopo's biceps and a guy who played a rebel officer in Empire Strikes Back star in this zombie flick from the 80's as police detectives who get yelled at for parking tickets right after 15 of their colleagues were just gunned down an hour earlier. Zombies are robbing stores with uzis and the mystery must be solved before the city runs out of police. Sadly, I missed this one growing up. A comedy horror that is pretty fun all the way through. Special effects here are pretty great. Especially the big biker dude and the butcher shop insanity. I had to rewatch the biker scene twice because it was just cool looking. The comedy is groan worthy for the most part, with a few exceptions that caught me by surprise. This was a pretty good watch.

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Torture Dungeon (1970)

In medieval England, the 1960s counterculture is ramping up for the 1970s. This should be a terrible movie, but I was entertained by everything going on. From the naked frolicking mudwrestling to the ménage à trois with a humpback, I couldn't look away. Half the scenes end with either the camera spinning or someone screaming, or both. You might even catch the cameraman cough once or twice! If only the local renn faires were this fun.

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've been wanting to rewatch that one. The Conjuring 2 was my favorite of the series, it's really good!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Sister Death (2023)

A sister joins a haunted convent. This movie is really, really well done. Everything looks amazing, and it's really creepy throughout. The special effects are amazing. However, the story felt a little thin. The interactions between the other sisters were strangely absent despite what was happening. It's a solid film, otherwise.

3/5

Philthy fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 4, 2024

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Demon City Shinjuku (1988)

Fantastic art and animation. Part of Tokyo is taken over by demons, and a high school kid must save the world with his super anime powers. Most of the movie is a boss run. Lots of fun fights and interesting characters. This is about average as far as animes go. I really did appreciate the amazing artwork, though. Very cool.

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Tales From the Crypt (1972)

A horror anthology with 5 stories being told with a joining tale. Not too bad, all the stories were just alright with no real stinkers and tie to the premise pretty good. I think my favorite of the bunch is tied between "Wish You Were Here" and "Blind Alleys". An enjoyable watch.

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Tormented (2009)

This was pretty bad. A bunch of bullies drive a kid to suicide, who then comes back to murder them all. No one is likable in this movie. School massacres happen so often these days in real life (Even back in 2009), it's just kind of weird to see someone make a movie about it with a horror twist added. None of the kills were entertaining, either.

1/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Tokyo Gore Police

This was a fun Friday night flick to unwind to. A girl watches her dad get assassinated and grows up to be an Engineer hunter. Engineers are mutated humans that when limbs are cut off, sprout into monstrous growths and weapons becoming even stronger. The tone of this movie reminded me of the Shin Megami Tensei video game series a little bit, and even some of the designs reflect that. Dark, weird, and a little pervy. The special effects are both surprisingly good and surprisingly bad. You'll be wowed one moment while wondering how they missed that a tube to squirt the blood is completely visible the next. I would love to see a documentary on one of these types of movies.
3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Leave the World Behind

I surprisingly enjoyed this movie quite a bit! The best part of these types of movies are usually the events that happen before and during the catastrophe, and then the movies often fall apart when they explain what is going on and the movie becomes bad and awful and dumb. This one manages to barely avoid that, and I'm thankful for it. It feels like whoever made this was reading my mind for what would make a good movie in this genre, and went with it. Save for Julia Robert's character, I enjoyed the cast quite a bit. Thumbs up.

3.5/5

Philthy fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 6, 2024

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Menu (2022)

A horror dark comedy. A very prestigious chef has a restaurant on an island that most people would dream of being able to eat at. The main character, Margot, is invited along by her boyfriend for a once in a lifetime dinner. The island staff immediately give off weird vibes, and it only gets worse. A great concept with a lot of amusing bits. Finally, a movie that stars John Leguizamo in an appropriate role! It's not perfect, but it's definitely entertaining.

3.5/5

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 7, 2024

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Beau is Afraid (2023)

It's all in the title of the movie. All of it. This is one of those movies that made me feel like I should have enjoyed it more than I did. I typically love weird psychological movies, but when you have one that is three hours of non-stop anxiety driven episodes, it just sucks you dry emotionally and a little bit mentally as well. The acting by Joaquin Phoenix was absolutely amazing, and the look and feel of the movie, especially the early scenes, were just fantastic. But at the end of the movie, I didn't feel very moved by it, but I was still glad to have seen it.

3/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, it had some great moments! I could totally pick this for a rewatch again, the flow is really good.