Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
BlacKkKlansman was great up until the scooby doo climax. Two hours of a suspenseful caper, interesting debate about how to fight racism and an examination of how pop culture shapes society, and 15 minutes of phony situations so we could get a Hollywood climax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Roma is very very well photographed and well directed but jeez it was boring.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Bullet Train 3/5

Pretty funny and clever plot twists but requires a massive amount is suspension of disbelief and being able to overlook cultural weirdness. It’s easy to accept insane coincidences and turns of luck, but harder to swallow that a bunch of hit men are punching and strangling each other without the other passengers noticing or that most of the passengers on a train in Japan are white.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 23, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Watching Mother right now (the Bong Joon Ho one). I put off watching it for a long time because I thought it looked boring, totally regret it now

Edit: finished. Movie gets an A-

People have said some directors make many movies and some directors make one movie, over and over. For the most part, Bong Joonho makes one movie: the search for truth. But he makes it great every time

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 1, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Bottom Liner posted:

The Menu was a lot of fun but not cohesive or tight enough to be great. Very close though. Ralph Fiennes is a real gem though.

I had a lot of fun. Yeah, not perfect but I give it a 4/5

Weirdly feels like it belongs in a box set with Hereditary, The VVitch and Midsommar. They even got the composer from Hereditary!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anyone seem Skinamarink and got an opinion?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Might have to update my opinion of The Menu higher, seems to get better and better the more people point out a lot of intricate stuff

Spoilers, obviously

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7190049811310185770

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Leave the World Behind

Starts off promising with the world falling apart and some interesting racial tension about how successful black people still have to appease white people. Unfortunately the movie goes in a well-worn direction in the second half and becomes a modern adaptation of The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street. Black and white Americans need to band together to fight the real enemy: foreigners

Update: 2/5

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Dec 30, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeahhhhh maybe I’ll knock it down as I mull over it more

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ahhh gently caress it 2/5

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SCheeseman posted:

The enemy in LTWB are the super rich, who are architecting the collapse of societal order to create a power vacuum. The main characters all get along in the end because they realize they're being manipulated, the contradiction in the information the dropped propaganda flyers are conveying leading them to believe they're just a tool to rile them up. The characters discuss this on screen. The ending also isn't quite as bleak as it appears given that the event seems to happen during the ending episodes of Mr Robot and that implies that there is still some societal stability, hospitals are working.

It isn't a "we can all get along" tale, more a "we should kill and eat the rich" tale, which is more in line with Esmail's typical writing than an invading boogeyman interpretation.

True, it slipped my mind that they were behind it all

But even so the “we should get along” message is what people take away from it because that’s what 95% of the movie is strongly focused on

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

falz posted:

Also the woman in that scene is the Aussie stunt woman that's in many things including Deathproof.

Zoe is from New Zealand and you never, I repeat never call a kiwi an Aussie

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Philthy posted:

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

A classic that still holds up 40 years later. A serial killer who preyed on little kids is murdered by parents in Springwood, Ohio. He comes back to haunt their teenage kid's dreams and kill them one by one. The movie starts off with one of the most brutal kills, and continues with many iconic scenes from then on. I remember seeing this as a kid at a huge birthday slumber party whose parents let him rent this and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre when we were around 10. I'm pretty sure at least 4 or 5 of those kids never slept that night.

4.5/5

Never seen a NOES. Maybe I should start. Which is the last good one

I saw Friday the 13th #1 a few years ago and was surprised to find out that the mask didn’t become part of the canon until 3. 1 was surprisingly good! Great twist!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
This movie: Deniro giving a really heartfelt monologue about his place in the world

Also this movie: shirtless sweaty Branagh jumping all over his lab equipment like it was a Ninja Warriors obstacle course

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Bottom Liner posted:

I'll never get over the direct rip off of not just the one, but BOTH of the climactic moments of Avengers Endgame. The lone soldier staring down the overwhelming enemy forces when the good guy reinforcements show up behind him and triumphant music swells, then the "I am inevitable" "and I am Ironman" - "I am all the sith" "and I am all the Jedi". I was groaning through the entire lovely ending.

Hmm. You know how they say when AI models start copying each other, it becomes a model collapse? Maybe something similar happens when movies keep copy too many moments from each other

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Waffleman_ posted:

Police Story (1985)

My experience with Jackie Chan's filmography is woefully lacking outside of like...Jackie Chan Adventures, so I figured the best place to start would be his commonly considered best movies

That’s not how you spell Police Story 3 or Drunken Master 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Haven't seen it yet but I thought I'd venture that sometimes the absence of a readily identifiable ideology is itself the hallmark of an ideological position, that is, cultural signifiers that support a loose affection for the status quo, even if they don't seem all that coherent as a position. Maybe I'll have a hotter take in a few days.

One of the things my screenwriting professor said that stuck with me is that you can’t help but reveal your worldview in your writing.

Although she never said it, I would think that lack of a position would also be revealed in your writing

(Or it could be an intentional avoidance of stating a position despite having one)