Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Swiss Army Man - I liked it more than I thought I would. I typically find "quirky" films to ring pretty hollow but I enjoyed myself. I still am not sure I understand why it was raved about, at time felt like a carbon-copy of a Gondry music video. (6.5/10)

The Man Who Knew Infinity - An interesting true story, well acted, but the film wasn't sure which part of the story it wanted to tell so it ended up feeling a little disjointed. (6/10)

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers - I picked this up randomly and ended up finding a really interesting noir film. Kirk Douglas' film debut and he crushes it out of the park. Barbara Stanwyck plays Martha Ivers who kills her aunt when she is 15 and has to marry the witness to shut him up but his guilt drives him to the bottle. Directed by Lewis Milestone who also did All Quiet On The Western Front, one of my all time favorites. (8/10)

Song Of The Sea & The Secret Of Kells - Both are beautifully animated and highly stylized film from Tomm Moore. I thought The Secret Of Kells was amazing to watch but found the story lacking (7/10), but Song Of The Sea is just about perfect (9/10), they just don't make animated films like this anymore.

Kubo & Two Strings - Speaking of animated films, Kubo was an amazing feat to watch and really does feel like a culmination of all of Laika's work to this date. I take a little issue with the whitewashing with the casting choices. (8/10)

Christmas in Connecticut - Enjoyed this and I am adding it to my usual Christmas rotation. (7.5/10)

I Before E posted:

Quiz Show(rewatch): 3/5

Quiz Show is one of my favorites. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

The Lunchbox (2013) is an Indian romance / drama about a lunchbox that happens to arrive at the wrong address. It's a wonderful movie and there is a lot to like here. I thought the idea of the "invisible auntie" was great and enjoyed the flawlessly performing actors. The streets of India feel very real and close to the viewer. The slow pace however turns it into a test of patience. I like slow, quiet movies, but this one feels like a short story was blown up to 1:40 hours. The thin plot simply is not enough to hold your attention the whole time, even tough I admit its slowness goes well with the theme of the movie. For me it was about 15 minutes too long, with too many redundant or too drawn-out scenes. If you could discover this late at night, in a half-asleep state it would be perfect to dive into the Indian streets (and their hidden romances) though.

I just saw this as well and loved it, it held my attention just fine. I could understand how you see it being 15 min too long though.

The VVitch - Surprised how much I liked this movie. Really not the type of movie I pick to watch but it was good. It was much more of a psychological thriller than I was expecting. I do think that showing the witch that early in the movie killed some of the suspense. I would have rather not know what was going on a little longer.
The Secret Life of Pets - Didn't have any expectations but was somehow let down. I love kids movies but this one just didn't do it for me.
The Perks Of Being A Wallflower - My wife wanted to watch this one but I was surprised how much I liked it. Not amazing, but does a good job of showing teenage life without over dramatizing it or idolizing it. It really did capture that feeling of discovery (and hopelessness) you get as a teen.
Ocean Waves - I was able to catch this old Ghibli at my local movie theater. It is a great simple story about a boy and a girl... actually funny how close this and Perk Of Being were now that I think about it. It also reminded me of Only Yesterday.
Naked Lunch (rewatch) - I actually got a lot more out of the movie this time than when I watched it in my 20s. It didn't feel as "weird" this time and I was able to make some cohesive sense out of it.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

All 5 of The Yakuza Papers films (8.5/10)
Boyhood (9/10) I was suprised how much I liked this movie.
Elevator To The Gallows (7.5/10)
Pete's Dragon 2016 (7.5/10)
Tampopo (7/10)
The Secret Life of Pets (6/10)
Bad Moms (6/10)
Suicide Squad (4/10)

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

I Before E posted:

If you would.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, why the hell is Tampopo only a 7?

I wanted to like Tampopo so much more, I really did. I am a sucker for movies about food, especially Asian food, but I really couldn't get behind the "skits" that kept popping up throughout. I understand that it was about the culture of and obsession with food but the were so tonally off-putting that it pulled me out of the main plot of the movie, which I loved. Without them I probably would have given it a 9. Maybe I'll give it another try someday.

Suicide Squad I don't think I have ever seen a bigger mess of a movie, it was a trainwreck from beginning to end and thinking about it again 4/10 seems pretty generous. It was trying to hard to be Guardians Of The Galaxy meets Deadpool that is lost any personality of its own. You can tell that it was reedited by producers. The jutebox soundtrack actually pulls you out of the movie unlike GotG whose pop-music soundtrack is a integral part of the plot. Jared Leto moronic method acting chewed so much scenery but wasn't rooted in anything substantial. I think there may have been a good movie in there somewhere at some point. Aside from all the awful stylistic choices they made, the movie just makes no sense. You know what... yeah I am going down to 2/10

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Coaaab posted:

The skits in Tampopo are of varying quality, but the end credits are legit top 5 of any movie ever.

Unfortunately this isn't the Rate The Latest Breastfeeding Sequence You've Seen thread. Whatever happened to that thread, btw?

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

nerdman42 posted:

The Last Unicorn - 9/10

Really interested in your thoughts on this.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Arrival - 8.5/10
The Jungle Book (2016) - 6/10
Zhou Yu's Train - 7/10
The Magnificent Seven (2016) - 6.5/10
Grosse Pointe Blank - 8/10 (rewatch) Grosse Pointe Blank Soundtrack 10/10
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - 7/10 (rewatch)

Donnie Yen Triple Feature:
Ip Man 2 - 7.5/10
Special ID - 7/10
Iceman - 6/10

EDIT - forgot two:
Branded To Kill 7/10
The Red Shoes (1948) 8/10

York_M_Chan fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 21, 2017

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Hell Or High Water - I think this is the greatest movie with the worst casting choices I have ever seen. The two brothers are just so wrong for the tone of this movie while everything else feels so genuine Chris Pine (who I typically enjoy) just looks out of place, he is just too clean, and Ben Foster (who I can never really stand) seems to be doing some kind of caricature of someone he heard about once. 8/10

They Live - I kept putting of seeing this movie. I knew basically what it was about and knew it would be cheesy but... Wow it was bad. (2/10)

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

I'll try to explain. Maybe if I saw this when I was 13 or something I would have loved it, and I probably should have seen it then. Now, at 35 this is the most heavy handed messes of a film ever made. There is no sense of nostalgia for me that, maybe, you guys have. And I like John Carpenter but this was a train wreck. What little plot there is makes no loving sense.

Keith David kicks rear end in this, obviously. What am I missing?

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

In addition to its broad artistic influence it's one of the great politically subversive films of the Reagan era.

Zizek is always fun.

Or in Carpenter's own words

Yes I got the point, kinda hard to miss it when it is done with such a heavy hand. That being said, there are a lot of very influential films that really have to be seen in the time and place when they were made. Now this whole movie comes off like a lovely high school punk song or a student film.

This movie was like eating a pixie stick. As a kid, the intensity & obviousness is amazing but as an adult with an aged palate it is hard to stomach and you want something a little more subtle. I just should have seen it when I was younger is all.

EDIT: VVVVV Probably my favorite part of the movie.

York_M_Chan fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The Lure 5/5
In Order of Disappearance 4/5
Toni Erdmann 5/5
Ixcanul 5/5
Hell or High Water 5/5
Sing Street 5/5
Silence 5/5

You sure are throwing around a lot of perfect scores. I'd like to hear your thoughts on them.