Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I seem to fail to make the jump to the new version of this thread every year, but I do like it. Anyway my rating system is "reasons to see the movie" because I almost always find a reason that every movie can be watched.

Valerian - Firstly, see it if you're a Luc Benson fan, since everyone I know who is loves this. I'm not as hot on him overall, but I did think the utter audacity of this is something to observe and I think I like it the more that I think about it.

Emoji Movie - A friend said, "See it to hear Patrick Stewart play poop" which is really the best reason. It's also interesting to me, to see what is considered "the worst movie in years," but, really, I've seen a lot worse. The film has no soul but it's competently written (in the sense that the events of the story and plot are mostly logical (outside of some weird things clearly influenced by financial considerations) and it is competently animated and voice-acted and not horribly offensive (although they do pointlessly say a word that's considered a racial slur in 2017), so I guess I'd say see it to see Hollywood story telling--and the general use of the English language--distilled to its most basic formulaic essence. Like if you were trying to teach someone English, this would help them understand common phrases and their usage.

A Ghost Story - Possibly the closest of these three films that I actually came to walking out of, because the film's pace is challenging, but I'm glad I stayed. Because somewhere around 20 minutes in, the film really had me under a spell. There is an extreme economy of action which requires focus to attend to, and the great use of sound is really engrossing; I'm not a person who honestly even cares if people are having full conversations in movie theaters, but this film is just so captivating (in the literal meaning of that world) that every time someone opened their food, chewed on their popcorn, or even if I adjusted my position in the seat, it was annoying, as any sort of distraction from the experience of the film became offensive to me. With that said, the world that I was being engrossed in was for me was completely nihilistic (there is a pretense of silver lining that I just did not buy), which can be very taxing. I'm not 100% sure I liked this film, but I don't think David Lowry gives a gently caress if the audience likes this or not, if you like film as a sensory experience, see this (there's not a ton of reason to see this in a theater, especially given the aspect ratio, although a theater is a quiet, dark place with a great sound system which is how this movie should be seen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Beastmaster 2 (Apparently a rewatch since the entirety of my Beastmaster memory all was covered by this film): Watch it if you want to see a pretty campy 90s film that, as my friend said "was a lot less of a chore than a Mondo (the Tucson tradition of showing bad movies on a Monday night where the crowd is encouraged to poo poo on the film [it's too bad most people aren't funnier or it would be as cool as it sounds]) movie usually is."

Atomic Blonde: See it if you got like a major boner for Charlize Theron, I guess.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Highway to Hell should be seen because it's a nice showcase of the extremely hellish places in Northern Arizona, and some of the extremely beautiful ones as well (although they don't linger there much). Also it's so absurd that you have to see it or you will think people describing it are making poo poo up.

It (2017) should be seen for the nice "teens hanging out in a small town in the summer and learning the value of friendship" parts that ultimately made the movie worthwhile to me even if the horror was extremely tepid.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Yankee Doodle Dandy is on the AFI Top 100 so if you think that means something you probably should see this, or if you are interested in seeing how much biopics have changed.

It wasn't what I imagined at all from the trailer, but Vampire Carnival is perfect viewing for a Halloween movie party, provided people aren't sensitive about some grody nudity.

Speaking of nudity (although I think its explicit stuff is more tasteful than Vampire Canrival and I'm talking about a film where guy shits into a glass container), Holy Mountain is really cool and if you're into artsy, absurd movies, see it.

Lupin the 3rd: Castile of Cagliostro is AMAZING. See it!!! I'm not much of an anime guy in general, but I loved this a lot.

Rick fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 16, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
mother! is really great in the sense that 100 people can watch it and you'll see 80 different interpretations of what the film was trying to say. If that sounds cool to you, see it.

Freaked is the movie my life has been missing. If you think Pete and Pete or Good Burger are good and funny and cool, you will love Freaked and you should see it. If you are a teenage girl you might not since test screenings of them hated the film so bad it was practically wiped off the face of the Earth (according to the introduction given to the movie by the guy who introduces the movies at this theater, a lone surviving print [only two were made] was rescued from the clearing house where they were sent for destruction). But I'm extremely glad it wasn't and it survived and I saw it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I haven't seen the original Flatliners so I don't know how it compares, but the reason to see this is that it is nuts. If you like watching movies and going "what the gently caress are those mothafuckaz doing" and laughing after saying that (and I do) then this is for you.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I loved Tron Legacy but I also saw it in IMAX which seems to be a big difference maker.

Anyway, reviews!

I thought I had seen the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Like when I saw the Rob Zombie version I thought it was all really familiar. I don't know what the gently caress I was thinking, the original is nothing like that at all. The reason to see this is that this film is so good at creating mood and tension and dread, even though you know everything that's going to happen because they tell you in the opening crawl. I do think this should be seen in a theater if you have the chance, preferably small, uncomfortable and stuffy.

Blade Runner 2049 is also a prime example of just creating a mood. It's also wonderful at using color and sound for storytelling. It doesn't quite have the subtlety of the original, but I still think it's worth seeing if you liked the original or are into questions about selfhood and such. If you're big into action films, maybe this is not for you, though.

Seeing a film that has a one star rating on Tivo when I got nothing better to do is a high motivator to watch something, so that's why I decided to see The Shack. It's about as harmless as a denominational film can get, although it pissed a lot of Christians off, and of course atheists as well, so I think it's worth seeing to see why for yourself. The chill af Jesus is also pretty cool

Rick fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 9, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
This was the most difficult of the "Mondo" (local theater's bad movie night) movies to get through, because a whole lot of nothing happens for a whole lot of the movie, and what does happen barely makes sense, but Satan's Cheerleaders is the rare naked pro-Satan propaganda film, and it was so bold in that stance that I kind of admired the bravado of it, so it's worth watching for that reason, maybe in a media format where you can fast forward through long scenes of running nowhere, or people staring at each other, or staring at the wind.

DeimosRising posted:

That's funny, you're the second person this week I've heard/read talk about the "rob zombie version of Texas chainsaw massacre". He wasn't involved, the remake was directed by Marcus Nispel

This is weird, I wonder where I got this idea from.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The fact that the guy who made loving Greg the Bunny has taken a career left turn into artsy true-life dramedies is insanely goddamn strange and hilarious to me

e: also, I have Marcus Nispel on Facebook and I'm kind of tempted to let him know that people on the internet think he's Rob Zombie. :v: He's an insanely nice dude, though, and I'd feel bad.

(Alex Proyas is a loving dick who can go to hell, though, if anyone has any sick burns for him feel free to drop them)

I actually liked the remake, so it would be a compliment I guess v:shobon:v . I just had no idea how different it was from the original.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Happy Death Day - The reason to see this is that it's the rare modern horror comedy that isn't complete garbage. It's a lot of fun, start to finish. Even if you think you'll hate the protagonist (one of my friends who went with the movie just because she enjoyed watching her die over and over again, Jessica Rothe is absolutely great as the stereotypical garbage sorority girl)
Friday the 13th - I guess if you're like me and are extremely old and for a long time just never had a reason to see this (I have probably seen 3-4 Friday the 13th movies before this and they were not good enough for me to feel like I needed to seek out the originals), I think the point of watching this is that it is just a really odd movie, so odd that it's almost hard for me to believe that it ended up spawning such a successful franchise. It has some charm though, so if you're a completist, see it.
Friday the 13th 2 - As you probably guessed, I saw this in a double bill with the first. This is a much better film and definitely worth seeing on its own, it's a really competent horror film with the rare not-completely-stupid protagonist. I might have thought more of the series if I saw this one. It sets the formula most of the other FF 13 films seem to follow.
The Foreginer - See this to see Jackie Chan go loving hardcore. I was practically screaming "Jackie noooooo" as he did dark thing after dark thing. The IRA story this surrounds is interesting enough, even if the twists are all obvious a mile away. It's kind of a weird mashup but it works.
The Killing of Satan - This Filipino film about a man's magical fight with Satan and a bunch of shape shifting creatures. It's a not always easy to watch, but I think it's worth seeing for the hilarious special effects, and it's also one of the more famous "good bad" films so if you are a connoisseur of this type of film, you have to watch this.

Rick fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 29, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I didn't have a lot of knowledge as to what Wicker Man would be, I just know of the infamous remake of the movie that I also haven't seen. This is great. If you're expecting a modern, scary film maybe avoid it, but if you're looking for an example of like the true nightmare of the puritanical, this is it. The music is especially wonderful.

Okay so this movie, The Santanic Rites of Dracula (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070634/) had a title on the DVD (a box set of 50 horror films) we watched that was different than any of the alternate titles, it was listed as "Dracula and his Seven Brides" which is confusing because it is basically a combination of multiple film titles in that series of films. But ah! This is what 80s movies are parodying when they are parodying the idea of the suburban vampire hunting professor. So it's worth seeing for that reason, even though it's a pretty rough film overall, not for lack of effort by Peter Jackson and Christopher Lee.

The Devil's Rain on the other hand is a very good, bad film and is absolutely must see if you're inclined towards that sort of thing. Another good reason to see it is to attempt to count how often Joan Prather blinks in the film (hint: you might only need one hand). It's extremely silly with lots of bubbly special effects, extreme overacting, a story that doesn't make a lot of sense and an ending that never ends.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I guess it's been too long since I posted in here... scores out of 100:

Point Break (1991) - 84 (rewatch)
Strange Days (1995) - 82 (rewatch)
The Hurt Locker (2009) - 81 (rewatch)
The Florida Project (2017) - 87
Alien: Covenant (2017) - 73
Thor: Ragnarok (2017) - 86
The Lego Batman Movie (2017) - 80
Atomic Blonde (2017) - 85
All That Jazz (1979) - 94
Carol (2015) - 87
The Weight of Water (2000) - 59
Colossal (2017) - 88
12 Years a Slave (2013) - 90
The Big Sick (2017) - 81

Plus many James Bond movies:

Dr. No (1962) - 74
From Russia with Love (1963) - 76
Thunderball (1965) - 73
You Only Live Twice (1967) - 76 (rewatch)
On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) - 77
Live and Let Die (1973) - 72
The Man with the Golden Gun (1974) - 70 (rewatch)
The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) - 72

I'll take your Colossal review, I like to see people write about that movie.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Thor Ragnarok's second half is really fun, so see it for that reason. You probably won't be as bothered by the first half as I was since I haven't seen anyone else talk about it.

I accidentally watched Ice Princess but if you like seeing movies that are just batshit, this is for you. There is a girl who ice skates in a denim jacket.

Also, aren't you fascinated by what Snyder is doing? That's why I decided to see Justice League at least. It's probably his best film since Watchmen, although that's faint praise.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Except apparently there is internet clamor for the 'Snyder Cut' :shrug:

Hahah, I'd never clamor for it but at this point I think I'd watch it just out of morbid curiosity. Although if what I have read is correct the parts of the movies that I liked were Whedon's so I wouldn't expect it to be good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm definitely noticing a trend of people seeing Wonder Woman in the last month or so and not liking it. Not sure how to explain it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

glam rock hamhock posted:

Probably because it's not very good

It's certainly possible. Rereading my review of it does make me think:

Bottom Liner posted:

Wonder Woman is a good but not great super hero film that stands out among it's contemporaries for being the first female led super hero film and being the first good DC film. It has a lot of issues though and doesn't hold up well on repeat viewings. I'd put it as a firm 3/5.

Might actually be the answer. Since like everything positive I say about the film is in comparison to another DC film.

I guess I'm just surprised that everyone else was also apparently caught up in the same wave in June.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Outta 100:

American Honey (2016) - 87
Night Moves (2014) - 84
The Boss Baby (2017) - 70
Suspiria (1977) - 88
A Ghost Story (2017) - 87
Detroit (2017) - 76
Dunkirk (2017) - 96 (rewatch at a 70mm re-release, was 92)

I'm curious about your Ghost Story thoughts. I like to see people talk about that movie.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Lady Bird is a coming of age film so it is hitting well trodden ground, but still manages to feel smart and original somehow. I dunno, it felt really complicated even though it was a simple story. See it for Sacramento.

I am a huge Gremlins 2 fan, but I hardly have any memory of Gremlins 1. I watched it this weekend and was kind of surprised. The humans are kind of dicks, beyond creating the Gremlins problem, they are the first aggressors. It's not Gremlins 2, but it's still a watchable film.

Disaster Artist was my most anticipated movie of the fall and it was unfortunately kind of disappointing. But overall, still really good and if you're a fan of the room or just curious about it, you should see it.

I was beaten down by the prefilm hype and product placement, but drat I really enjoyed and recommend that anyone who's a Star Wars fans sees Last Jedi. I don't think everyone is going to like it, because it takes some risks, but I really loved it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

My really hard core friends love it.

I'm hardcore but my opinions on these are not always one to one with the so-called consensus.

E: Oh and another movie that people should see is Shriek of the Mutilated. This movie featured someone literally fast asleep in the front row by the end of it, despite the fact it's a film about cannibalism and forest monsters and someone screaming every ten seconds. It's so weird that I feel like it has to be seen to believed even though it's pretty boring and racist even by 70s film standards. I'm glad I was able to stay awake to the end where it just goes completely batshit.

Rick fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 16, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Netflix randomly sent me Salo without me asking for it when I had the DVD plan and while it was a meant to be a cruel prank, I really appreciated it. But also will never watch it again.

--

I, Tonya is kind of strange because it feels like a Will Ferrell movie or something at first but it's worth watching because it ends up having a lot of depth.

Paddington 2 is worth seeing because it's just magical. I went into this cynical as gently caress and I couldn't get make it through the 10 minute mark laughing out loud.

--

I think that's it for 2017 movies (I guess Paddington 2 is technically a 2018 release).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's pretty weird and its gore is gratuitous but Body Melt is worth seeing because it's really quirky and it feels like Mad Max's long lost, mutated and inbred cousins..

I liked Black Panther a lot, some of my good friends hated it, but I guess to me it's important to see things like this that are going to inspire debate because the worst thing is when people have strong opinions on things they haven't seen.

The Wizards is certainly something else. Tryhard thoughts on the world that some will try to argue is relevant and racism that I guess is satire. I guess. I thought it was kind of awful, but it has really stuck with me and I guess it's worth seeing for the music, which is great, and some of the artistic decisions are interesting.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Annihilation is worth seeing for the last act. Sit in the back so you can look at your phone, do a crossword, whatever you need to do to get through the first 2 acts of the film (which aren't bad, just, kind of there and a bit boring), just do it to watch the last act, it's great.

Death Wish should be bad, but it's worth seeing for Bruce Willis, who makes the film pretty fun. It could've driven off the Old Man Jack-Off precipice it hung right at the edge of for the whole film, but it never did.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Thoroughbreds is pretty hard to describe which almost makes it hard to point out what reason there is to see it, but I liked it a lot, so that's the reason.
I was a little less enthusiastic about a Wrinkle in Time but I did think it was a pretty decent adaptation of the book, and the best reason to see it is the visuals, which are really good.
Speaking of visuals, Frankenstein vs. Dracula sure has some. It's very nuts and makes about as much sense as a movie that's fundamental antagonist was changed three times while the film was being made. It's worth seeing for J. Carrol Naish's one-eyed off-screen line reading.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think if you really like robots hitting monsters, and aren't looking for anything else at all, you might enjoy Pacific Rim: Uprising.

Ready Player One is worth seeing just to know about this thing for yourself, but there's a particular homage that might (or might not) be appealing to cinema classics that at least I found to be the most exciting thing in the film. Or maybe anthropological curiosity over how Spielberg managed to make the references a little more relevant to a wider audience. You can read my over-long review of it here if you really want to but it's not my best work by any means.

The best movie of the week, and honestly these would've had to be some terrific-rear end movies to come close because Frankenhooker is terrific magic. It's a movie from the mid to early 90s about a guy who builds a Frankenstein monster out of Time Square street walkers. Yes, it delivers on the premise. Definitely see it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If you're anti-Wes Anderson, I don't think Isle of Dogs is going to change your mind, but it's a really pleasant movie that made me feel nice.
I'd like to see The Alien Factor remade with Zach Galifianakis in the lead, and it's just strange enough to be fun.
Avengers: Infinity War does a really nice job with Thanos, at least.
"Riveting" is an overused term in film review, but I was just completely engrossed by The VVitch. I guess the challenge is the dialogue but it's worth taking it on.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I like this style of quick reviews even though I'm not gonna follow it.

Borg McEnroe (2017) dir. Janus Metz 7.5/10
Columbus (2017) dir. Kogonada 9/10
Good Time (2017) dir. Safdie Bros 8.5/10
All the Money in the World (2017) dir. Ridley Scott 7/10
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri (2017) dir. Martin McDonagh 9/10
Darkest Hour (2017) dir. Joe Wright 6.5/10
The Florida Project (2017) dir. Sean Baker 9/10
Call Me By Your Name (2017) dir. Luca Guadagnino 9/10 Getting the cinematographer from Bong Joon-ho's movies was such a good choice.
Paddington (2014) dir. Paul King 8.5/10 Will warm the coldest of hearts.
Samurai Cop (1991) dir. Amir Shervan 4/10 Would be completely unwatchable solo, but a fun watch with friends a baffling bad movie. Not like Troll 2 or The Room level though, there's classic "so-bad-it's-good" movies I'd watch before this one.
Clown (2014) dir. Jon Watts 8/10 Clown is way better than it has any right to be and the "Cloyne" scene with Peter Stormare is among the best scenes in the last decade of cinema. I was completely surprised by how good this turned out to be. I still haven't watched his Spiderman movie but I'm glad Jon Watts seems to be doing well for himself because from this movie, he seems like a fun and creative guy. I'll definitely check out Cop Car.
Creep (2014) dir. Patrick Brice 8/10 I was really unsettled after this one and I'm not easily freaked out by horror films, worthwhile watch but deeply uncomfortable.
Creep 2 (2017) dir. Patrick Brice 7.5/10 While it does some interesting things in it's own right, can't match up with the first movie.
Six Degrees of Separation (1993) dir. Fred Schepsi 7/10 Just OK comedy-of-manners but great Will Smith performance.
The Cloverfield Paradox (2018) 6.5/10 I liked this more than a lot of other people but people's complaints are completely warranted. I certainly wasn't bored though, easily the weakest of the three Cloverfield movies yet.
The Wailing (2016) dir. Hong-jin Na 8.5/10 This movie's great but don't expect to walk away satisfied. Worthwhile for fans of Korean cinema or horror.
Before I Wake (2016) dir. Mike Flanagan 5/10 Disappointing movie, really liked Hush and Gerald's Game by this director, has a few interesting moments but can't in good conscience recommend it.
Black Panther (2018) dir. Ryan Coogler 8/10
Mute (2018) dir. Duncan Jones 6/10 A baffling movie, unlike most so-so or bad movies this doesn't feel like someone failing to accomplish what they set out to achieve. This movie feels like it hits every single mark that Duncan Jones wanted it to, just that every single one of those marks is a terrible idea.
Annihilation (2018) dir. Alex Garland 8/10
The Belko Experiment (2016) dir. Greg McLean 6.5/10
The Untouchables (1987) dir. Brian De Palma 9/10 Style over substance, but oh what style it is.
Phantom Thread (2017) dir. Paul Thomas Anderson 9/10 This is the best film about romance I've seen in recent memory. That might make me sound cynical, because this absolutely an abusive relationship. At the same time, Anderson hits points that I think will ring true for many more than they're willing to admit.
A Bigger Splash (2015) dir. Luca Guadagnino 7.5/10 Quite good character study, I like this one more in retrospect than I did immediately after watching.
A Quiet Place (2018) dir. John Krasinski 4/10 An unfortunate movie, where it takes an interesting premise and then makes the blandest possible movie out of it. Just watch It Comes At Night instead.

Hey thanks, yours are pretty succinct and informative as well.

For me it's more of a factor of the more words I write on something, the less interested my friends are in my reviews.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Tailored Sauce posted:

Super Troopers 2 - Not as good as the original. So many jokes were just shoehorned in, led to a lot of lazy dialogue. The whole movie is basically Canadian stereotypes vs. American stereotypes. Farva was the only redeeming thing in the entire movie, he had several funny moments and was the only time anyone in the theater actually audibly laughed (yes there were like 8 people in the theater).

C-

Oh, THAT'S the movie I saw that I forgot to review. I knew I saw something else but couldn't recall it for the life of me.

Yeah, I agree with what you wrote. I know some people that are major Super Trooper fans and I think they at least should see it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Revenge is a pretty cool, well, revenge film, inspired by the 80s and 90s version of this genre. It's gory to the point that it's sometimes difficult to watch, but it's worth seeing because it's really well directed and while it isn't subtle about the ways that it's working off the male gaze theory, it's fun to see how that's played with.

Treasure of the Four Crowns really really drags at parts, but has some really cool characters that were interesting (even if a lot of what happened around them wasn't), so I get why this is kind of a cult classic and why people see this.

Perils of Gwendoline in the land of Yik Yak is a bit more difficult to recommend, the title is probably the best part of the film, but it is weird enough that it's not a waste of time if you're a bad movie watcher.

Firewalker should be seen for the dripping romance between Chuck Norris and Lou Gosett Jr and their embrace of a poly relationship as far back as 1986.

The negativity surrounding Solo is a bit surprising to me, since to me it felt deliberately safe and inoffensive, but I did enjoy it overall and thought it was a pretty decent heist flick, and is worth seeing if you like those.

Cannibal Women in the Avacado Jungle of Death is pretty legitimately good, I enjoyed and laughed through (and not just at) almost the whole thing. The guy who presents these movies to us was a bit doubtful of the fact that this is a parody, but it absolutely is--not of Raiders--but of Raiders of the Lost Arc rip off movie. It does a great job of sending up all their common themes, so you may need to see a few of them before seeing this one, but it so is worth seeing for that reason. You could also see it to see Bill Maher acting (being carried by three great women actresses).

Octaman is a bit rough, but the Monster is so silly (and kind of adorable in a way) that ifyour'e a bad movie watcher this is watchable. Not sure this one is for people who actually like good movies though because the last 25% drags like crazy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Tag is a silly movie, and it knows it, and never takes itself too seriously, and isn't afraid to get goofy. You should see it if you like absurd comedies.
I don't rewatch a ton of movies, but I was encouraged to give 2001: A Space Odyssey a second chance, and it really is a lot more cognizant the second time through, and it should be seen because it is a legit masterpiece. I think a single watch through though, there's just so much going on it's hard to really digest.
Speaking of movies with a ton going on, The Crater Lake Monster is definitely that and probably also needs several viewings to fully digest. It's another one of these movies that really becomes worth watching when you realize that it is in fact a love story.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
There was a charm to Trancers that I didn't expect to find that was definitely there, and it's worth seeing if you want to see someone try to rip off Blade Runner and Terminator at the same time on a budget. Helen Hunt is also wonderful in it for some reason (as long as you can ignore that she is rolling around in a confederate jacket for part of the movie for no reason at all) E: Apparently this is a series of films, I had no clue.

Ant Man & The Wasp is also a movie that has a lot of charm. The stakes are personal and low and the film is funny and it's a nice break from the generally serious comic films, so see it if you're looking for a comic pallet cleanser.

I saw The Time Travelers without the MST3K riffs for the first time and it's worth watching this way simply because all the riffing distracts from just how batshit some of the choices that were made in this movie were and how daring (remember, daring doesn't always mean successfully good) some of the choices were.

And Sorry for Bothering You is worth seeing if you're looking for some rather pointed commentary on race and capitalism delivered in a funny and nice to look at package; I think anyone who's worked in a call center should also really see this. Definitely one of the things I've liked most released this year.

E2: Oh, and The First Purge is worth seeing if you've seen these and ever wanted to see them try to justify how such an insane thing that the films treat as something that could actually happen comes to be; it's still completely insane but I guess after seeing like four of these movies I can at least track the logic behind the insanity.

Rick fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 19, 2018

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If you ever wondered what Batman would be like if instead of a billionaire he was a Lyft Driver, then the Equalizer II might be for you. A lot of the slice of life stuff was somehow more cheesy than the last film, but the action is solid stuff and Denzel really spins straw into gold.

Eighth Grade was pretty darn good. I think you should totally see it if you were ever an awkward kid. I mean, some of the moments are so awkward that it is painful, but I dunno, it's all worth it, it's really smart.

I had never seen Pulp Fiction before but when I finally saw it I learned that I practically had seen it because almost the entire film has been mined by pop culture. I'd argue it's important to see those films even if you might not necessarily like them, but I did find it pretty enjoyable when I finally got the rhythm of it.

You should see Liquid Sky if you want to see how heroin loving aliens intersect with the New York post-punk scene of the late 70s.

The House on Sorority Row should be seen if you want to see a late 70s slasher film that has all the camp that films of that era generally have, with just a bit of artistic sheen to it.

It's sat on my DVR for almost two years, but I finally got around to watching Killing the Colorado. I'm glad I did, and you should definitely see it (it's free all over the internet) if you are the type of person who finds people talking about Water Rights for a couple hours to be entertaining.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Christopher Robins is a really pleasant story that you should see if you have any sort of affinity for Winnie the Pooh.

I saw Donnie Darko in school but somehow forgot all of it, but you know what, it's really interesting, definitely worth a watch, or even a second one.

Surprisingly, Killer Party has kind of stuck with me in the days since I saw it. It goes off the rails but I dunno I still liked it, and if you like college slasher films it's worth watching.

Skate Kitchen is like a really long dream, worth seeing if you have an affinity for skating or are into seeing a film about that weird post-high school zone that avoids some cliches.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Night is Short, Walk On Girl is really fun, and still feels imaginative despite the fact that romances are usually completley cliche; you should definitely see it if you have any sort of anime tolerance.

I always thought I would dislike Hot Fuzz for some reason but I was super wrong, this was funny. If you enjoy parody or send up of action movies, or, you just enjoy action movies, see this.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's more a situation of judging those people by some of their most crazed fans rather than actually by the movies. I will eventually check those out, though (although Shaun of the Dead was week 1 in my local theater's Edgar Wright series so I'll have to catch that on my own).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I had to do some searchin' to figure out what this was called since I watched it on public access, but Spider Baby was pretty enjoyable Initially I was a bit thrown because it looks quite a bit rougher than a film from 1967 should look, but as the film goes on you can clearly see it doesn't have the sensibilities of a 40s/50s film even if it has the look. See it if you're into dark comedies, well, at least dark by standards of the 60s.

Rick fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 14, 2018

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think you should see First Man if you are really interested in good take explicitly about Neil Armstrong and aren't looking for like a documentary about the moon race.

Eyeslicer's Halloween Special is worth seeing if you like fun, quirky horror/comedy shorts with a root in currentish internet culture; note that by horror, I mostly mean existential horror, but there are some plain old traditional horror shorts as well. The Ted Bundy short was one of my favorite horror films I've seen.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It makes sense to me that The Wicker Man and Frenzy are written by the same person.

I assume I didn't see the final cut since I saw it on one of those "A BILLION FILMS ON THREE BLURAY DISCS" collection bought in some bargain bin somewhere.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Chopping Mall (1986, Jim Wynorski) [Amazon Prime] - 1.5/5

Please review this classic.

Watch "Won't You Be My Neighbor" if you like to CRY.

"Uncle Drew" is a nice basketball movie that you should be able to predict if you have a brain but is worth seeing because it's a nice, pleasant story.

A small airplane screen is actually perfect for "Searching." See if it you have dipped into the Computer Simulator genre of films and are into them.

See Bumblebee if you have a morbid curiousity about these Transformer movies because it's the best one, but there's enough there to see why maybe this franchise is often difficult to justify watching.

"Aquaman" is worth seeing if you want a fairly light-hearted comic movie that doesn't take itself too serious and feels more inspired by Tron than Batman.

One of my most respected professor in college's favorite movies is "The Wild Bunch" and I put off seeing it because you never want to be like "ah this guy that taught me a lot's taste sucks" but actually it's quite good, definitely worth seeing if you liked westerns, or you enjoyed Red Dead Redemption 2. It's a 60s film, and it looks like it, and sounds like it, but there's some really modern stuff going on in the story telling.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Widows 2.5/5
Well this was disappointing. I see what they were trying to do about racism and misogyny and poverty and violence and politics and corruption but it just doesn't work on any level, unfortunately including the "heist movie" level. The film spends an hour and fifty minutes to set up a very lame robbery, then drops a surprise on you, only to resolve it within like 30 seconds with no drama. Which would've been maybe ok of everything up to that point made sense and added up to something, but it doesn't. Ugh.

FWIW, I watched it for the October challenge.

Chopping Mall 3/5
Robocop, which was released a year later, clearly owes a lot to this movie, as it establishes the "security robot gone mad" trope so perfectly. The said security bots work in the mall, obviously, and go mad after multiple lightnings strike outside on an otherwise clear and dry night. Coincidentally, a bunch of teenagers working at different places around the mall decide to have an orgy at the furniture store after closing time, because why not. They end up being locked in for the night and have to fight for their lives.

I should probably get right out of the way the fact that this being Jim Wynorski's best movie isn't quite enough to make it actually good, but the good news is that it does mostly work as a "so bad it's good" film, which many terrible flicks fail to do. The plot is complete nonsense but it doesn't really matter as it wastes little time on the setup and goes straight into it. It's competently filmed and acted, and the effects are ok for the time with pew-pew lasers and some giant explosions. What prevents this from being a better, more fun movie is that it doesn't go quite over the top enough with most kills (the headshot and the molotov scenes were great though) and better writing could've gotten a few more jokes out of it.

I saw it in the theater last year and these are pretty much my thoughts exactly. It helps that it was "Shopping Mall" month at the weekly bad movie showing was particularly brutal. It was nice for something to have some decent action at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
As long as you aren't someone who is afraid of subtitles, go see Shoplifters, it's a great, quirky film that I'm still thinking about three days later.