Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Perfect Element posted:

Thank you for your service :zpatriot: I've been loving your reviews. I am in awe of how many movies you watch.

Yeah I really like them, thank you Philthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Civil War is incredibly shot and, also, incredibly stupid. What a cowardly and childish take on American politics, with god awful dialogue and stiff as a board acting. But at its core its a road trip movie, and while it's far below the scale of Tom Green's Road Trip in acting and writing quality, it's impossible for me to hate a road trip movie completely. Also the scene in the trailer/commercial that you're thinking of, it's legit great, the only thing that lands.

It's worth seeing if you want to see some incredibly stylish and beautiful shots of the Northeastern United States, and if you can just turn your brain off and not think about what you're watching much.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
They really did Challengers a disservice with the name because practically everyone I've heard talk about it or talked to it about has made the "is it about the space shuttle? is there more than one?" joke. Also, I was extremely turned off by the marketing campaign of, "HEY DO YOU WANT TO SEE ZENDAYA gently caress TWO GUYS????????????????????"

But man times are tough right now, and I really need a distraction, I have a ton of free movie credits and hate the Ape movies and some people I trust said Challenger was good so I figured, what the heck, might as well.

It was pretty darn good.

I kind of understand the marketing because "a modern French New Wave film/tennis sports movie" is probably tough sell. It's not a total bait and switch, it's definitely about the relationship of the three protagonists, but at its heart it's an experimental film: it doesn't really reveal itself as such as first, but by the end it's doing some really interesting things with editing, camera shots, angles, sound and music,. You can probably figure out how it's gonna end 10 minutes into the movie (and indeed I wonder if the writer [Justin Kuritzkes] wrote that first and went backwards from there) but that's not the point. It's really about everything building up to that moment. Definitely worth seeing.